Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Not Buy This Grill Brush!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Not Buy This Grill Brush!

I’ve been grilling for over 40 years now and have never had this happen to me. My damn grill brush caught on fire, under normal use! Not the wood handle, the actual bristles caught fire and burned off to nothing. I was getting the grill ready to cook tonight and was cleaning the grates as usual after the grill got hot. Doing things the same way I’ve always done it. I’ve used many grill brushes over the years and never had this happen. The bristles themselves burned down to nothing. I’d only used it maybe 5 times. Unbelievable. Luckily I always have 2 different grill brushes I use. Anyway, this was a grill brush made by Outdoor Gourmet. They are a brand sold at Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Outdoor Gourmet also makes and sells many different types of grills at Academy. Makes me wonder about their quality control. Even though it was only a $5.00 grill brush, this shouldn’t happen. WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC LANGUAGE. 🙄

Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 06:11 AM.

That stinks! I have that style of brush, but it’s the Weber brand. It’s holding it’s own very well.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Literally, that stinks !!!!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Weber as well and really like it.

I guess metal can get saturated with grease.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Grease yeah, I get it. But I’ve never had any other grill brush catch fire like that. There was no more residue on there than any of the other thousands of cooks I’ve done. And especially, not having the bristles burn up to nothing? They’re supposed to be metal.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 11, 2021, 07:28 PM.

For about 5 years, since I saw a warning about the bristles coming out of the kind of brush you were using, and experiencing it myself, I have only used this or similar brushes. Even when not using Grill Grates.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      "Someone" used my brush of this style recently and left it on the back porch in the heat and humidity (tropical storm with 6 inches of rain!) with a lot of grease still embedded. It turned into a biology experiment with many different colors. Cleaning it was...difficult.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to mention that it's not just the bristles (steel or brass) coming out, but they stick to the grates and then can get embedded in the food. Jim White, mine have plenty of grease in them, but so do some of my grates. One of these days I'm going to do something about that.

Time to upgrade you to a Grill Rescue brush? 👍😎

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I’ve got my old standby grill brushes I’ve always used with good luck. I bought that one on a whim as a backup when I was buying something else. I said, What the hell, it’s only $5.00. I was just surprised when it caught on fire and the actual bristles burned off to nothing. Never had that happen before.

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought a Grill Rescue and it's amazing. It's basically a sponge wrapped in fire-proof fire hose material. You get your grates to about 400, soak the business end of the Grill Rescue, and wipe your grates. The steam cleans those suckers right down to the stainless. Just be aware if your grate is REALLY caked up, it won't work. Scrape the chunks off first. Bonus: no bristles to either get in your food or burn up! GrillRescue.com

I had to look up the flaming brush. Turns out it’s bristles are not metal but a fiber called Palmyra … made from palm leaves. Apparently, palmyra bristles not only clean grates more gently than metal but (and this is a "feature") also absorb oil which helps to keep the grates nice and slick. One other "feature" they forgot to mention is that after oiling the grill grates for you, you can then use the brush to light the way home. Gotta get me one of them

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny Mike! 😂 Guess I need to start reading the fine print. Thanks for the research.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 11, 2021, 08:16 PM.

Bogy This is the type of grill brush I normally use. I like the lip on it which allows me to hook under the cooking grate and remove it, without having to grab the gloves. Only one time, and that’s enough really, have I ever had a bristle come loose AND get in my food. I bit into a steak one night and liked to double over in pain. One of the bristles from the brush got into the steak and I bit right into it without knowing. It lodged into the upper roof of my mouth. I was freaking out because I couldn’t remove it myself. Tried for 10 minutes. I finally had to get a neighbor to pull it out with tweezers. Was not fun.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Just how many times do you have to do that to decide it's not a good idea?

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      For me, maybe 10 or 11.

Son, you have to be a certain kind of special to burn up a metal bush. Just please tell me you had your helmet on.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      He only wears his helmet when he's riding on the short bus.
      Last edited by ofelles; July 12, 2021, 02:58 PM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he forgot to wear his tin cap that day

Me thinks them not metal bristles.
    Besides that how was your BBQ?

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      NY Strip was great buddy!

Rookie, I can't count the times my grill brush has caught on fire! Just blow it out like it was a flaming marshmallow. It's like whistling, you know how to whistle, don't you? Just put your lips together, and blow. Bonus points if you can name the movie and who said that.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; July 11, 2021, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      David (@58limited), I'd answer your challenge (hint; Bertie) but I only do that sort of thing if another shot of bourbon is on the line..............................just sayin'

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      I loved that movie. Bacall and I had such chemistry!

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Who can't name that Mike. But the line was adlibbed - now tell how old she was, and think that over...

Ditch all of those brushes and get a Chargon tool. Boom! Problem solved.

Comment

Or a piece of foil...

Comment

You talk to much, your brush obviously overheard you talking about microwaved ribs.

Comment

Panhead John Now you have a back scratcher!

Comment

Panhead John Yup, definitely the manufacturer's fault! No disclaimer on the handle? Their fault! No legal release form in multiple languages? Definitely their fault! No common sense video training link? Their fault!!!! Jacoby & Meyers (or ambulance chasers of your choice). They have operators standing by for your call!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here