Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Not Buy This Grill Brush!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    For me, maybe 10 or 11.

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    Just how many times do you have to do that to decide it's not a good idea?

• willxfmr
    replied
    Son, you have to be a certain kind of special to burn up a metal bush. Just please tell me you had your helmet on.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Funny Mike! 😂 Guess I need to start reading the fine print. Thanks for the research.
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 11, 2021, 08:16 PM.

• Panhead John
    replied
    Bogy This is the type of grill brush I normally use. I like the lip on it which allows me to hook under the cooking grate and remove it, without having to grab the gloves. Only one time, and that’s enough really, have I ever had a bristle come loose AND get in my food. I bit into a steak one night and liked to double over in pain. One of the bristles from the brush got into the steak and I bit right into it without knowing. It lodged into the upper roof of my mouth. I was freaking out because I couldn’t remove it myself. Tried for 10 minutes. I finally had to get a neighbor to pull it out with tweezers. Was not fun.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I had to look up the flaming brush. Turns out it’s bristles are not metal but a fiber called Palmyra … made from palm leaves. Apparently, palmyra bristles not only clean grates more gently than metal but (and this is a "feature") also absorb oil which helps to keep the grates nice and slick. One other "feature" they forgot to mention is that after oiling the grill grates for you, you can then use the brush to light the way home. Gotta get me one of them

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    Forgot to mention that it's not just the bristles (steel or brass) coming out, but they stick to the grates and then can get embedded in the food. Jim White, mine have plenty of grease in them, but so do some of my grates. One of these days I'm going to do something about that.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I’ve got my old standby grill brushes I’ve always used with good luck. I bought that one on a whim as a backup when I was buying something else. I said, What the hell, it’s only $5.00. I was just surprised when it caught on fire and the actual bristles burned off to nothing. Never had that happen before.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    "Someone" used my brush of this style recently and left it on the back porch in the heat and humidity (tropical storm with 6 inches of rain!) with a lot of grease still embedded. It turned into a biology experiment with many different colors. Cleaning it was...difficult.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Time to upgrade you to a Grill Rescue brush? 👍😎

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    replied
    For about 5 years, since I saw a warning about the bristles coming out of the kind of brush you were using, and experiencing it myself, I have only used this or similar brushes. Even when not using Grill Grates.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Grease yeah, I get it. But I’ve never had any other grill brush catch fire like that. There was no more residue on there than any of the other thousands of cooks I’ve done. And especially, not having the bristles burn up to nothing? They’re supposed to be metal.
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 11, 2021, 07:28 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I guess metal can get saturated with grease.

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    replied
    That stinks! I have that style of brush, but it’s the Weber brand. It’s holding it’s own very well.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    started a topic Do Not Buy This Grill Brush!

Do Not Buy This Grill Brush!

I’ve been grilling for over 40 years now and have never had this happen to me. My damn grill brush caught on fire, under normal use! Not the wood handle, the actual bristles caught fire and burned off to nothing. I was getting the grill ready to cook tonight and was cleaning the grates as usual after the grill got hot. Doing things the same way I’ve always done it. I’ve used many grill brushes over the years and never had this happen. The bristles themselves burned down to nothing. I’d only used it maybe 5 times. Unbelievable. Luckily I always have 2 different grill brushes I use. Anyway, this was a grill brush made by Outdoor Gourmet. They are a brand sold at Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Outdoor Gourmet also makes and sells many different types of grills at Academy. Makes me wonder about their quality control. Even though it was only a $5.00 grill brush, this shouldn’t happen. WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC LANGUAGE. 🙄

Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 12, 2021, 06:11 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here