Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gloves

I have these gloves that are supposed to be good to ~ 900°. I think the "good" means that they won't melt or burn below 900°. They do not provide much insulation, which is what's important to me, so I'm looking for gloves that protect my hands from heat. Suggestions please...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210623_173611[1].jpg
Views:	365
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1049900

I'm sure you'll get lots of comments on the preferences of others, even if those choices might not fit for you. Just a thought here if you're mostly happy with the other performance features of those gloves. Try getting some of those "cotton" gloves we often see folks use under their "nytrile" gloves for added insulation. You'll have the fire/heat resistance of the ones above and the added insulation of "double" thickness.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have a pair of those cotton gloves.

I have a similar pair I never use...the "silicone" on the palm started to melt when I picked up a cast iron frying pan to pour grease out of. I have a pair of silicone "mittens" that I can't find anymore, which is too bad because they actually work, and are waterproof, but are starting to wear out. Not the easiest to grip with but they do keep my hands safe.

The best suggestions I've seen on here for non-waterproof heat protection have been welding gloves.

Comment

I have Pitmakers, which reviewed well on the free side. No problem handling things at the grill surface or even cast iron straight from the oven. I wish they were a bit more flexible and form-fitting, but at these temps, I think everything comes with a trade-off.

Comment

I use Nitrile gloves with cotton gloves underneath to handle food off the grill. I use something similar to what you have to handle hot lids, etc. I use welding gloves for the real hot stuff.

Comment

my two cents, if your looking for gloves to grab a hot cast iron pan or for sticking your paw into the firebox to move hot coals around, I went to the welding supply and got mine. I can push burning coals to one side to add fresh coals and pull firebox out and they come up mid arm. if your looking for something to work with hot food i.e. slicing ribs, arranging pork ,chicken, brisket in comp box,cotton gloves with food grade nitrile gloves, flexible good protection from heat

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the way I went. They have welding gloves at my local Ace Hardware. If you get hot liquid on them they give that extra second to get them off before it soaks through and burns you. With those knit gloves you’re burned.

I use welding gloves too, and highly recommend them; insulated and durable in one handy package.

Comment

I have used these gloves for nearly 7 years and I think they are perfect. I bought a new pair last year as the old ones were pretty dirty after six years but certainly still usable. The additional length lets me reach deep into the smoker and move coals with no worries. They are all the same gloves AR recommends along the sidebar.

14.5" Long Premium Leather Gloves, BBQ gloves

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. Same ones I have. Perfect.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I had these and was not happy with them. They work ok for short periods of hot handling but not if you need to hold something for any extended period of time.

I wear old firefighting bunker gloves I "found". Almost zero dexterity for fine motor but I can pick up a ripping hot heat deflector and move it around without any discomfort.

*NOTE: These were NOS. Wouldn’t recommend using used firefighting gloves.
            Last edited by USMCCrashCrew89; June 24, 2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• SmokingPat
              SmokingPat commented
              Editing a comment
              I see several 'Masters of the Pit' here. "Oh, yeah, when the coals aren't doing what I want, I just reach in there and slap 'em around." 😄

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang right. Make them do their job!

I use Harbor Freight gloves. I have both the cheaper and more expensive ones. I recommend springing for the more expensive pair.

Amazing deals on this Mig Welding Gloves, Large at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

Welding gloves

Comment

I use Lincoln welding gloves. They serve me well. I just always have to remember to never let my arm touch the hot edge of the cooker ABOVE the glove's gauntlet. One moment forearm scar is enough...

Comment

Have worn out a couple pair of these https://h2qshop.com/collections/bbq-...t-grill-gloves

Highly recommend.

Comment

Take the temps up a notch each cook and soon no glove needed
                    Attached Files

Comment

I use the G & F 8115 Premium Grain Leather Gloves as reviewed here on AmazingRibs.com and have not been disappointed. I have moved hot charcoal around with them with no problem (but I don't hold on to them for long).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here