Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love wire racks. I hate cleaning wire racks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love wire racks. I hate cleaning wire racks.

Without thinking I grabbed one of my non-stick wire racks for doing some chicken legs the other night. Wow, that chicken fat has wedged itself in every nick and crevice. I've actually been scrubbing the thing daily, but when inspect it, I keep seeing little bits of dried and caked-on chicken reside. (It isn't helping that the chicken residue is dark brown and the wire rack is black.)

I am literally about to throw the silly thing away.

I've tried a scotchbrite pad and a brush, but just can't seem to get in those crevices. What actually seems to work best is using my fingernail to get in there.

I wish I could throw this thing into the dishwasher. (I still may, what do I have to lose? And you've probably concluded the same as I have that the non-stick properties have long since left this thing.)

The reason I hesitate is that I threw a supposedly stainless steel rack into the dishwasher before and upon emerging all of the joints in the rack had clear rust on them.

Any suggestions on cleaning would be appreciated.....or, perhaps even better, a source for a solid stainless steel wire rack that can stand up to a dishwasher perhaps.

Don’t be so picky. It’s only a little chicken. 🥸

Comment

This is what I use, and since your rack is no longer NS, you don't have to worry about scraping the stuff off.

https://smile.amazon.com/Garden-Guru...%2C168&sr=8-25

And this stuff is great on grease, (recommended by another member):

https://smile.amazon.com/Dawn-Platin...s%2C172&sr=8-2

If you're sure the NS is gone, you could always burn it off over direct heat.
      Last edited by RonB; May 21, 2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        The garden guru might be a bit too big for these tiny squares, but I had forgotten about the Dawn PowerWash thread. Been meaning to try that.

Just soak them overnight in soapy water then fire up the pressure washer once in a while.

Comment

you're being too picky. not every nook and cranny is going to touch food in the future. do the best you're willing to put into it and move on. i use scotch bright pads, give it my best for the top that touches food and the old college 15-minute-tops-try for the rest of it.

Comment

Easy Off oven cleaner works for me.

happy grilling to you.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            That's an excellent idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that! That may just work!

Get the rack HOT, lay on wooden pallet, hit with the power washer.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            Or, get it hot and hit it with a power wagon.

While I appreciate you dedication to cleanliness and beauty, one of the chief reasons I still have a gas grill is to heat dirty grates to about 600F, then turn it off and let it cool. Most crud will burn away and the balance can easily be scraped off with a wadded up piece of aluminum foil. No the grill will not look new, but it will be sterile!
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; May 22, 2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

what Jerod said above. Heat is key. get it piping hot and stuff will slide off.

but, yeah, it's just some chicken bits. i wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

Comment

If you throw it in the diahwasher the chicken bits will be cooked if not gone. Simple!

Comment

Easy off plus plastic wrap. Place the racks on the cling wrap, douse em in the spray, then wrap em up tight. Let them sit for a few hours or even overnight.

Comment

I don’t remember the exact ones but I bought some stainless racks from Amazon and they’re fine in the dishwasher.

Comment

Have the dog clean them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here