Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use for a spice grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you use for a spice grinder?

I needed some fresh-ground pepper the other day, and decided a spice grinder is in my future. I'd use it for peppercorns and other whole spices, but not coffee beans.

What do you use for a spice grinder? Is it a 'flying blade' type, like many coffee grinders, a burr grinder, or something else? I don't plan on grinding mass quantities of spices, so manual grinders may be OK, too.

I have a small Krupps blade type electric that has done the job for quite a few years. Was reasonably priced when I purchased.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      My little Krupps has lasted for years too.

Same with me. A simple blade type coffee grinder has served me well for years.

Comment

I hear this one works pretty well:

Say bonjour to the Weber Workshops Moulin (pr. moo-lahn, French for ‘mill’).As with coffee, we take great pleasure in all kitchen endeavors. We approached the Moulin’s design with the same desire to push the art forward that we embody in our coffee products. The result, first released in 2016, is the world's first trul

Scroll down just a bit.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        😳😯😧😮

I just use a dedicated small Krupps blade style coffee grinder. It wasn't expensive, lasts for years, and does a good job.

Comment

• Jared49
        Jared49 commented
        Editing a comment
        What he said!!!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yupps.

Krupps.

Just to add, do not get a burr grinder. It would gunk up after the first few uses, especially if grinding herbs, and most models are not easily cleaned.

Comment

I only use a burr mill for coffee - and that one is dedicated to coffee beans. As Donw said - those type are hard to clean out. I use one of the bladed choppers for spices, nuts, other stuff I need to grind/chop.

Comment

I know you’re going to be grinding spices besides pepper, but you might want to consider this as an addition to what you get. I’ve had a few battery operated salt and pepper grinders over the years and love em. I’ll never go back to a manual pepper grinder again. One handed operation and the models these days grind just as fast as a manual, most of them anyway. It’s very handy when seasoning meat also. You can grind with one hand and turn the meat with the other. You can adjust the coarseness of your grind as well, and some even have a little light that shines down on your food as you grind. I think if you got one of these you’ll be hooked. There’s lots on Amazon in the $30. - $40. range. I use one for pepper and the other for grinding my pink Himalayan salt.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Panhead John; May 14, 2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I also find that they are excellent for exfoliation (or is that a loofah?). Oh never mind.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have a similar set as these and love them. I think mine are 4-5 years old with no problems.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Considered tryin these out...

Might be more likely to entice me, if'n ya'da provided a dang dang LINK, ya lazy fish poop!!!! (Bass Turd) LOL

I have the KitchenAid one they list under the competition. It has been perfectly adequate for my needs even though it has a few flaws, so I would imagine the one they pick as the best would work pretty well.

Comment

I use a Nutribullet. For pepper I use this cast iron grinder.

Comment

Unlike most other spices that I know of, black peppercorns require a bit of care to produce the proper sized grind in order to get the desired texture and degree of "pepperiness". So ... for fresh ground black pepper, I like to use a good adjustable hand grinder with high quality parts ... like the ones you can get from Peugeot (there are others, too). For all other spices and dried herbs, as others who have already responded, I like to use a dedicated (no grinding coffee in it) electric Krups blade grinder like THIS one from amazon.com (inexpensive, does a good job, and seems to last forever).

Comment

Originally posted by ComfortablyNumb
                I use a mortar and pestle.
                Boom! Sneeze ... sneeze ... sneeze ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2302976-E241-42A1-91B8-A18098841E45.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1023940

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ComfortablyNumb - They don't call him QuicksDraw for nothin' ...

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I usedta have a setup like that...got rid of it, after 8 years; it was way too noisy!!!!

"Ole Queeks Draw, he hassa lottup here!!!
                  (No brains, justin empty lot, aye theenk...)
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 1, 2021, 11:21 AM. Reason: ficksed me a tipoe ;-)

I use the one MH recommended for pepper bc I grind my pepper all the time. I don't use pre-ground pepper bc it's so inferior to freshly ground (imho). For other spices I use a small bladed electric coffee grinder. Don't know what brand. Had it over 10 years. Here's the one MH uses:

Kyocera Pepper Mill Makes It Easy to Adjust the Grind (amazingribs.com)

Comment

Mortar and pestle is how I grind. Picked up a nice stone set years ago, and it’s served me well. If I’m feeling lazy or in a hurry I do have a cheapo (< $10) blade grinder.

Comment

Bought this small hand grinder years ago. No batteries or power needed.

Amazon.com: KONA Manual Coffee Grinder, Conical Burr Mill with Adjustable Setting, Best Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder for Aeropress, Drip Coffee, Espresso, French Press, Turkish Brew: Kitchen & Dining

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here