Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best containers to store lump charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best containers to store lump charcoal?

Recently bought a couple of 40lb bags of lump charcoal, any storage container suggestions?

Yup, use em up. Oh, keep em out of the rain! 🙃

Comment

I use a large plastic feed storage can with a snap on lid. It will hold 2 - 40 lb bags. I believe I got it at tractor supply. It works just fine, with no water ever leaking in.

Comment

I learned to keep the brown paper bags OFF the concrete floor of the garage. I have a 1/2 inch piece of plywood with pieces of 2X4 on edge that I use as the platform for charcoal, etc. Other than that, ambient humidity won't cause TOO much trouble. Briquettes for immediate use (both Weber and Kingsford) are kept in standard Kingsford plastic bins ($14 each) near the grill/smoker. One is clearly marked with "K", and the other is marked with ""W". I use both depending on what I cooking.

Comment

I use these IRIS USA Airtight Pet Food Storage Container

from Amazon
          Attached Files

Comment

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            I use one of these as well. It's got a sealed lid with latch, and wheels on the bottom. Easy to move from it's storage cubby hole to the cooker when needed. The full open top makes it easy to transfer the lumps with good visibility to choose by size for that lump arranging thing I do just before firing up.

I just stack 'em in the shed mate, open the bags as required

Comment

40' High cube holds 1330 x 15 KG bags of charcoal if that helps. Let me know if you want to buy a few. (containers full from Argentina).

Comment

i use plastic trash cans and kingsford containers...a piece of white tape to remind me of whats inside..

Attached Files

Comment

The bag they come in. Never had a problem. I am in South FL, humidity is ALWAYS a thing here, even during "dry" season. Bag open now is in my backyard, under an open air but covered part of the patio.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This!

I will second SmokeyGator. Other than the fact I dump an open bag of briquettes on occasion into the bin on my Performer, I have never, ever, bothered to store charcoal in anything other than the bag it came in. I have at least one open bag of lump and one open bag of briquettes in my back yard shed right now. I've got charcoal I bought in the summer of 2018 back in the good old days when you could get that 2 pack of KBB for $9.98, and it burns just fine. Been stored either in my shed or my garage, in Alabama humidity, in the original paper bag, for going on 3 years, and it still burns just fine.

I don't have plans to stockpile 60 bags of charcoal at a time going forward, the way I once did with KBB, but I still plan on storing it in the bag (open or closed), in the shed in the backyard.
                Last edited by jfmorris; April 29, 2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I totally agree with jfmorris and with SmokeyGator. I live approximately 100 miles south of jfmorris so our humidity is the same other than in an isolated storm. Alabama humidity is almost always above 40% and is often above 80%. Mine are stored in the original bags, open or closed. If closed I do wrap the bag up hand tight but do not bother giving the bag any assistance in keeping itself closed. I do keep the bags under my covered back porch. I have no problem unless I let the bags get wet which I do guard against.

Comment

I found something similar to the Iris bins at the Big Orange Box last year. These are clear and have a seal on the lid so there should be no humidity moving in or out. Walmart had them slightly cheaper so that’s where I ended up getting next set of them. Been through the Great Texas Freeze and 3.5in of rain this weekend and the charcoal lights as quick as it did when I opened the bags.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here