Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feb Update On Meat-Up In Memphis

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feb Update On Meat-Up In Memphis

I just wanted to update you on the planning for the Meat-Up in Memphis.

We have 303 people attending so far. Capacity is 400, but we need to allow for our team and speakers, meaning that there is still room for only about 50 more people. So if you have friends or family who are thinking about coming, make sure to let them know that now is the time to secure their space!

In a few weeks we will be sending invoices for the balance due if you have not paid in full yet.

We are also thrilled to announce the addition of our Beale Street Bash for the last night, Sunday August 2. We will be at the world famous Silky O’Sullivan’s! Silky’s has been a beloved historic institution/dive bar/juke joint on Beale Street since 1992, just a short walk from the Peabody. There will be food and live music so pack some dancing shoes! The Silky’s Walk of Fame includes hand prints and signatures of Bob Hope, Ella Fitzgerald, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Donny Osmond, Danny Thomas and other stars. A documented piece of the Blarney Stone from Blarney Castle, Ireland, is embedded in the south wall of the bar. And you can kiss it if you dare. Oh, and there are goats on the patio at Silky’s and they like beer. Silky, who died at 71 in 2013, was quite a character and well known in the Memphis barbecue world and Irish community. He even started a barbecue contest in Ireland in 1983. You can feel his presence in every corner.

We are still working to set something up for Friday, July 31, so if you are chomping at the bit to book air travel, I recommend you plan to come in on Thursday if you can. You really ought to come in early and/or stay late even if we can’t book an activity for Friday. There is so much to do and see in Memphis. The hotel will extend the discounted room rate for you.

Visit Elvis’ Graceland mansion, the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King was shot, the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, the Memphis Music Hall of Fame, the Blues Hall of Fame, Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum on Beale St., Sun Studio, the Bass Pro Pyramid of Memphis, Mississippi riverboat tours, the Memphis Zoo, Brooks Museum of Art, Belz Museum of Asian & Judaic Art, Memphis Botanic Garden, Children's Museum of Memphis, learn the story of cotton in the historic Cotton Museum at Memphis Cotton Exchange, Mirimichi Golf Course founded by Justin Timberlake, concerts at FedEx Forum, Go Ape Shelby Farms treetop adventure, world famous Gus's Fried Chicken, Memphis Redbirds AAA baseball (located right across the street from the hotel), and more. Not to mention the many other BBQ joints that you won't have tasted on our Sunday tour and the many juke joints on Beals.

Note that a few people have said that when they tried to get the discount rate of $189 (plus taxes and fees) at the hotel for extra days they were quoted the regular rack rate of close to $400. This was a communication error within the hotel. We think they have it fixed. If they quote you the wrong rate, let me know. I will remedy the situation.

Meanwhile, a quick question: Are you bringing someone who is not registered for the conference who might like an organized sightseeing tour of Memphis on Saturday? There would be a charge but we don’t know how much yet. If you think this is something you want, email me and put “Tour” in the subject line. Send it to [email protected].

Thanks for the update. I'm planning on getting there on Thursday and will be checking out on Monday.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yesssss.

I am still hanging in - trying to figure out a way to make this and my reunion earlier in July. I am thinking I can see a way to do both.

Comment

Also, be sure to let us know if you are registered and didn't receive the update email from Meathead Wednesday. We want to make sure we have the correct email addresses for everyone (and that the emails aren't ending up in a Spam filter) for future updates as we get closer to this amazing event!

Comment

Unfortunately, we had to pull the plug today. The family reunion is officially on in Ohio earlier in July, and we can't swing both trips. Maybe next time.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead, i'll plan the next reunion do i can avoid conflicts lol

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Well that sucks. I was really hoping to hang in that awesome rig you’re sporting about. 😂

Seriously though. I will miss you. Was really looking forward to meating you in person.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve b, I was looking forward to it too. Texas next year sounds like a winner though.

Man, would love to get back to Memphis...Beale had me hooked the first time....lol Click image for larger version

Name:	Me on Beale.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	803968

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	18518.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	733.6 KB ID:	804405 Me and mom plotting. She kind of thought the meat up was something she wanted to attend
          Last edited by klflowers; February 18, 2020, 02:56 PM. Reason: Pic disappeared

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Must just be me.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee, weird. Pic disappeared; I uploaded it again.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I see it! Musta took a bit for your cache to refresh then if it finally disappeared on you too.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis