Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's have a real PIT contest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's have a real PIT contest!

We've talked about how it would be really cool to have a BBQ contest for members here. But the problem of transporting gear is always a show-stopper. So I think we can do something different to get around that.

Let's see if we can plan a contest where everyone has the exact same rig: a pit dug in the ground with rebar for a grate and a cardboard box for a cover. Maybe a pit built from cinder blocks if someone has a friendly source for them nearby.

It doesn't get much simpler than that, and it really is back to the basics. I'd even go so far as to say no thermometers allowed once the meat hits a safe temp just to really make it interesting.

What are we cooking? I never thought someone could really tell doneness by feel, but after about 75 butts last year I can tell you by sticking the probe in if it's done. I know the feel now and cook to that, sometimes its 195 and sometimes 210. Wouldn't even hazard a guess on brisket or steak, but i'm sure that will come.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I figure pork shoulder or a brisket would be good, especially if we adopt the no thermometers after a safe temp idea since those are safe at much lower temps than when they are "done" by our standards.

boftx where in the heck have you been? Glad to hear from you again.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Been busy with work and BBQ. Huskee gave me a holler the other day so I came back to raise some Hell with everyone again and be the resident Ole Man of the Mountain.

Hmmm... Shall we call it the Cave Man BBQ contest?

I've done a "No Peek" 16 hour low and slow pork butt cook on my BGE without any temp controllers before. I posted that cook on AR a couple of years ago.

However... Just because I know my cooking device really well and can do things cave man style doesn't mean I'm going to reject all of the new technology that makes a 16/18 hour cook so easy.

The $550 dollars I've invested in my Thermapen, DigiQ Dx2 and my new Maverick ET 735 is money well spent!!!

Since I learned to use my BGE caveman style with just the bottom vent and the daisy wheel... I know exactly what is happening inside the closed dome, without opening it to peek. This week I got rid of the daisy wheel and bought an upgrade top vent. I also got rid of the stock grate that fits at the bottom of your firebox to retain your lump coal. All with the intent to increase airflow.

Knowing your cooking device and how to control it is as important as your recipe, your rub, your sauce... In my humble opinion.

However... I agree a caveman style cook off would separate real BBQ Pit Master's from the amateur's.

I'm pretty sure Meathead would be the winner though. I bet he has a few tricks up his sleeve he doesn't share with us Charter Members even, just in case we challenge him to a cook off.
    Last edited by Breadhead; May 29, 2015, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Caveman Cook Off, I like that.

Meathead might win, but I bet he would feel lucky to do so.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      No way I could win, my wife just planted her garden, so there's no place for me to dig a hole! But this sounds like fun! Try to keep it simple so lots of people can enter.

i seen a friend take a whole hog and wrap it in wet burlap. He then put it in a pit that he dug on top of lit charcoals. He would then covered it with plywood then covered with dirt. 12-14 hours later it was time to eat 😊.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Pig in a Pit is hard to beat. I've been to a few parties like that but I can't remember the details.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      @boftx...
      The first thing to go is your memory! And I can't remember what the second thing is.😎

Originally posted by boftx View Post
    We've talked about how it would be really cool to have a BBQ contest for members here. But the problem of transporting gear is always a show-stopper. So I think we can do something different to get around that.

Let's see if we can plan a contest where everyone has the exact same rig: a pit dug in the ground with rebar for a grate and a cardboard box for a cover. Maybe a pit built from cinder blocks if someone has a friendly source for them nearby.

It doesn't get much simpler than that, and it really is back to the basics. I'd even go so far as to say no thermometers allowed once the meat hits a safe temp just to really make it interesting.
    I'm guessing digging a pit in many members back yards would result in divorce proceedings

Comment

Does the PBC count? I understand that technically it is not a smoker or a grill but a pit in the form of a steel barrel. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here