Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Interest in a Pitmaster's Virtual Meat-Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll try anything once. Twice if I like it. All I have is an IPhone8 and an older laptop.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      ....that makes me a Luddite....signed Homey

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Zoom should work on any device with a cam

Depending on the timing, I am in. I am working strange hours since the grands are here. I have teams, skype and go to meeting on my work laptop, but I have to be instructed on how to use them each time I have to use them. Mainly cause I only use them for work meetings, which I try to avoid. I can download whatever I need on my personal laptop.

Comment

I just did a video call with my daughter and granddaughter this morning. It's great technology. The call was through WhatsApp, but I now have Zoom set up as well.

Comment

Yes, great idea. I'm in.

Comment

Sure, depending on timing, I'd be up for it. Usually don't need much help with this stuff, I've used several in the past.

Comment

I would if I could, but I work in the food manufacturing business. Right now. if you are awake, the bosses would like you to be at work.

Comment

I like the idea, but I wonder about what happens when 28 cook try to talk BBQ at the same time. What about setting it up in small groups say six to eight.

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                That's way more work logistically than having one larger group. I've been in meetings with far more people than that and they can be quite effective. If you're volunteering to organize multiple groups, then please, knock yourself out. :-)

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                pkadare obviously I am a Luddite. Just logging in will be a challenge.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                No worries, just yanking your chain. :-)

I would be interested!

Comment

Sorry all, I've kind of dropped the ball on this, but I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest at work. As some of you know I work for Microsoft on Azure security and with all of the shelter in place and work from home directives, things are crazy. Azure usage, in areas that have shelter in place orders is up 775% and we're fighting capacity issues, not to mention all of the scuzzy dirtbags that are trying to run scams related to Covid-19. I don't foresee being able to do anything with this in the near or medium term. Sorry.

Comment

• pkadare
                  pkadare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not to mention that as a security guy I definitely would not be interested in touching Zoom with a 6 foot pole at the moment. Lots of security holes, hijacking, and 2 brand new zero day security issues just released today.

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe someone else can take on setting this up , Use Zoom orMeetup ??

pkadare best of luck .... I run a security services group and we are just a mite busy. Only reason I have any time to post is that I'm not traveling.

Comment

Zoom can get cluttered if everyone's talking at once, and considering the half-second digital lag and the overall choppy audio that happens with internet voice, there can be lots of stepping on others when talking, then long pauses while each waits for the other to talk, then stepping on, repeat. The meeting "host" can mute all, and selectively un-mute, and there's even a 'raise hand' feature in Zoom to indicate you want to speak. It can be controlled but it could take effort and organization to have structure and prevent chaos.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Need some kind of virtual electric cow prod then?

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You have to barge in a lot, the old squeaky wheel gets the grease. We use it all the time as well since everyone in our organization is sheltered in place in over 5 states. I too am busier than a whorehouse on nickel night myself or I'd offer to host. I like the idea of having groups, cuts down on cross-talk.

You've probably all heard/read this by now, but we've organized this!

Next week, Thursday May 7 @ 7:30-9:30pm Central we'll hold our first ever PMC "Virtual Happy Hour" (VHH). We hope to make this a regular thing too, and we'll post recordings of the VHHs for all to relive or enjoy if you're not able to make it.

We'll use a service called Zoom. It's like Skype, but different. It's an easy download to your device: laptop, desktop, smartphone, tablet: Windows PC, Linux or Apple, whatever.

To hear us you'll need speakers. To be heard you'll need a microphone. To be seen you'll need a webcam. Smartphones, most tablets, and laptops already have them. You can turn your mic and webcam off if you wish right from the Zoom program so no one can see you but you can still see everyone else who has their webcams on.

For more info on next week's Zoom Virtual Happy Hour, including how to tie in, see this post with all the details.

Comment

Looking forward to it!

Comment

Count me in!

Comment

I’ll have to find my hat & sunglasses and check my social calendar to be sure we are not on a cruise that week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here