Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Appetite Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks amazing No more updates 'cause 'ol "Hank" is pooped! We look forward to more pics tomorrow!

BTW, I gotta order more of your rub, I did 13 racks of ribs yesterday and went through most of the 2 bottles I got from Amazon. Keep it up, bro!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks my bbq brother!

Very cool Henrik!

Comment

So, a report the day after. The whole weekend was a great success. On Saturday evening I went to sleep at 20:00, and set the alarm at 22:30. I actually managed to sleep, and at 22:45 I fired up my smoker. I added the nine briskets (full packers, avg 15 lbs each), and went to work. At 02:00 I started to freak out, thinking the wood wouldn't last. I think it was a brain fart, due to the late hour and all. At 03:00 I added the 25 pork bellies. And I started to calm down. I did have plenty of oak wood.

Overall the cook went fine. I did have to move the briskets around, due to their difference in size. I placed the biggest ones close to the fire, and the smaller ones in the back. Normally there's a real good air flow in my smoker, and very even temps, but when you load that sucker up the thermodynamics change quite a bit. So at two or three times during the night I moved briskets back and forth. I did the same with the pork bellies.

After the briskets had stalled I decided to wrap them in butcher's paper. It took 10 minutes or so to get all briskets out, wrap them, and add them back in.
      The thing is I didn't see the rise in temp I was expecting (roughly 1.5 hours after wrap). So I decided to take them all out, re-wrap them, this time with aluminum foil, and get them back into the smoker. Sure enough, I got the response I was looking for, and around 06:40 they were all done and I could drop them into the (three) faux cambros. I went to bed at 07:00 and slept till 09:30.

I also made 20 liters (5.3 gallons) of creamed corn in the middle of the night.

Right before 10:00 I sliced the first brisket and pork belly and served the crew. They all rolled their eyes and smiled ear to ear. I absolutely nailed this cook, it was great to see, and the 400 people that came to eat kept complimenting my food all through the day.

There were a few things about this cook that I really appreciate:
      1. I did several adjustments during the cook to compensate for/avoid future problems. This is really cool, as I feel I can rely on, and trust, my experience. Like re-wrapping for example. Being able to get 9 briskets of varying size to the right doneness/tenderness felt good. Makes me feel like a pit master
      2. The roaring reviews. That makes it worth everything.
      3. My smoker. Man, that is a meat machine! And it's easy to operate. I love it.
      4. The fact that I alone cooked food for so many people. A lot of pressure, for sure. But I pulled through. Awesome feeling.

Now for some well earned rest. I didn't take many photos, as I was busy, but here's a few.

The pork belly sandwich plate, with bourbon beans and creamed corn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbelly_sandwich.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	567215

The pork belly. Juicy as can be. Rubbed with Hank's KC Royale Pork Rub

Click image for larger version  Name:	porkbelly.jpg Views:	1 Size:	505.7 KB ID:	567216

The brisket. Super-juicy, with great flavor. Rubbed with Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	567217

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Beeuuuutiful! What a successful and satisfying event for you Sir Henrik! For me? Not so much cause all I can do is look at the pics and drool. 😀

By the way, the only thing missing here is a pic of you flying rude boy over a castle wall!

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay - daff question I apologize. Are you cuttiing straight thru the point and flat - together, in this pic? It just kind'a looks that way...

I'd have a T-Shirt made that says PitMaster's King, (sir). ;o)

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        JGo37 - yes I am. I usually separate the point and flat by cutting the brisket in two (point to the left, flat to the right). I then proceed by slicing the two separately, in separate directions.

Helluva deal, man! Proud of you, great feeling, I'm sure, to know you can pull off something like that, and to do it all by yourself??? WOW.

You're the man, for sure. No way I could manage that much responsibility. lol

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to call me ’sir’, I’m just a guy who likes to barbecue. But thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here