Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbecue road trip and event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henrik, You Sound Like My Kind of BBQ'r! Fill the Smoker Up and when Done Ring the Dinner Bell and Holler "Come and Get It" I did one of those for My Dad's "Surprise Birthday Party" Smoked a case of Pork Butts on a Borrowed Propane Tank Smoker! I Brined and Rubbed the Butts at Home for 2 Days and then Hauled them 245 Miles to Rolla ND, Got them on the Smoker by 5:30 AM, Had the Party at the American Legion Cabin @ 2:30 PM! People from Miles Arround! Most said It Was the Best BBQ Ever i.e. Free❓ Until Dad Passed he Never Could Figure Out How We Pulled It Off❓ More Fun than should be Legal!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Great story, that's the way to do it! Fantastic!

Great write up Henrik! Sounds like you killed it! What a great event for the community and there is no better food to serve when your spreading the love.

It sounds like Rude Boy was rolling right along. Do you think your even temps can be attributed to the double walled design? I always thought that was a great call on your part.

Anyway, great write up brother!

Thanks for sharing.
    -Spinaker

Comment

That's simply awe-inspiring, Henrik! I might have an idea for your new team logo and uniform:

Click image for larger version  Name:	superman.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	322574

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, I bet I would get that cape caught in the fire door in no time. 'S' for super smokers :-)

Nice work, @Henrik.

You should name the event Austin in Sundsvall ! ! !
      Last edited by gcdmd; May 23, 2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Thank you! Spinaker, when I say even temps I mean inside the chamber. As in: I don't have to move the meat around.

The smoker is still sensitive to the fire. The temp dropped when I left it for too long, and spiked if putting in too many logs. I like that, because I want that fine grained control.

The double walls are great though. Come wind, rain or snow, this smoker completely ignores it. Another benefit of (thin) double walls is that it fires up quickly, as I don't have a ton of steel to heat up. And thirdly, there is very little radiation heat. Radiation heat can be a benefit, just like a water pan, i.e. it evens out temp variations, but in this case I don't have to account for it either, which is good. The only heat source is convection heat from the hot air (just like the KBQ). And since I tend to forget myself every now and then and lean on the smoker, I don't get burnt :-)

Comment

Very impressive first "bulk" cook for Rude Boy and of course the "operator" Henrik . The 2am sunrise must have been impressive.
          Your story is making me daydream about doing the same but unfortunately my work schedule gets in the way of my dreams.. For now.
          Just a question? Is it wise to sell your book ( and give away your secrets ) to other Pitmasters? They may be your competition in the future.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I weighed the meat and I cooked 100 lbs in one go :-) As for the cook book, I'm trying to make a name for myself, and I do like sharing. They still need a lot of experience under their belts too ;-)

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            I love your plan Henrik . Share your knowledge to give them a false sense of security and then crush them with a superior cooker ( Rude Boy) and superior experience.
            I'm just joking.
            I do admire your attitude.

Henrik What a great journey! The "eye roll upon first bite" is a great reward for your effort and skill! You will hear about this cook several times again as you bump into people who you shared this piece of BBQ Joy with. So Glad for you!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Paul!

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
          Thank you fellas much obliged.

Now to the learning. Next time, I must:

1. Bring a team member. Everything went well up until people started arriving. I had a hard time getting all the sammies ready.
          2. Please Henrik, with sugar on top, remember to put a can underneath the grease drain. My trailer was covered in grease. I guess that's what you call learning money ;-)

As for the quality of the meats: I'm ready to take on the KBQ challenge. A side by side cook. I ran my smoker with the door wiiide open all night, for a squeaky clean burn. Temp adjustment was done purely by adding sticks. Mind-blowing flavor.
          I LOVE Side-by-side cooks, they help us learn and then believe the results! I do mine with a blind-taste-test, meaning I don't tell the tasters which one was which until after they have eaten and shared their feedback.

Oh, and the clean-burn stickburner smoke is an absolute thing of beauty! Your super-cool insulated smoker I'm sure does a fabulous job, tended by a real Pitmaster, as it is.

I have not heard of the KBQ challenge yet, but I'm in!
          Last edited by PaulstheRibList; May 23, 2017, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here