Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPEN INVITATION SE Michigan (This just needs to get started)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPEN INVITATION SE Michigan (This just needs to get started)

Okay, just to get on the board. I'm in southeast Michigan. 75 miles from Detroit, 75 Miles from Saginaw. [give or take on each]

Any Pit member traveling to the area or local is welcome to contact me and we can break some bread. Do some Q if you can. Contact me here or by PM if you are ever in the area and we will work it out.

jon

One of these days Jon...one of these days... I'm thinking more along the lines of when you're over in Standish though...

Comment

Yeah man! And that should be every weekend during ice season! Just incase you want to chase some walleyes while your here!

Comment

You had me at walleyes! We don't have them here and I want to try catching those critters sometime... its on my bucket list!
        Last edited by smarkley; November 12, 2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Get you bad self out here!

I LOVE FISHING!

Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 12, 2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Great music too!

Wow John, I thought I loved fishing but I don't know if I love it that much. LOL How thick is the ice you are driving on? What kind of fish were those. They look close to our speckled trout.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            38"

Walleye

We also get into Lake Trout and Whitefish. Both of which are awesome on the grill or smoker.
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 12, 2014, 03:43 PM.

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Jon, how do you know how much ice that thick will hold? I am involved with concrete and I know what it will hold but ice?? Concrete is psi.

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            As a rule I dont drive my truck on the ice BUT last year was a major ice year and I just wanted to say I did it. The Great Lakes are a very dynamic environment. Ice has different life stages. I dont think there is a set in stone way to know for sure.

It take a long time to figure out what you can do on it. I'm still learning for sure.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 12, 2014, 05:58 PM.

I've fished twice that I can remember and neither time was farther north than the Gulf of Mexico. Once was on the bayou in South Louisiana when I was a teen in a flat metal both with a 9.9 hp merc and beer for breakfast, and the other was deep-sea fishing out of South Padre Island, Texas, on Spring Break about 30 years ago, which also involved beer. Sitting on the ice would be a whole other world.

Comment

Dude, nice set up! I definitely plan on ice fishing this year and will look you up. A bud at work is a fishing fool so I plan on going as much as I can with him.

Dean

Comment

My dad would always wait until there was 24" before driving his truck out there. I surely wouldn't trust only 12" like the chart shows. FYI- your auto insurance is null & void on the frozen surface of public waters....

Comment

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I guess your boat insurance won't cover it either. LOL

Right on Aron. I don't recommend driving on it at all. Thats what the sled and the Argo are for.
              Last years was a crazy ice year. I wanted to say I have done it at least once in my life.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 13, 2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Guy
                Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jon this was very interesting to me. Since my experience with ice is in my cooler.

Based on your description you and I probably live within a half hour of each other. I am roughly in between Ann Arbor and Flint.

Comment

We vacation "Up North" as much as we can during summer. My parents have a place.

Comment

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Boyne City. On Lake Charlevoix.

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JeffJ I've spent a lot of my vacation life on the south arm. That area is a real gem for sure.

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We love the South arm, John. With all of the monster boats and very little protection from the winds coming off Lake Michigan, the main body of the lake often gets REAL choppy. The South arm is calmer. Agreed about that area overall. It's a much under-rated and under-appreciated gem.

Never tried ice fishing, but here was a good day in Alaska Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	72767 ! The top right was a 13.55# Coho

Comment

Thats a good day anywhere!

Comment

Indeed and enjoyed the eats for a very long time! Came home with over 100# of salmon and Halibut.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here