Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Amazing Ribs BBQ competition be put together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an Amazing Ribs BBQ competition be put together?

I've brought this up before, but I think it is worth bringing up again.

Is it possible that an Amazing Ribs BBQ competition can be organized? I'm thinking that it should be possible to get the folks at Weber and McCormick's to sponsor something like this if we, the participants, are willing to pay our own way to get to it.

Obviously few of us could afford to transport our own rigs to an event like this, but I think Weber would consider providing a reasonable number of kettles for it, which could be donated to appropriate charities afterwards. McCormick might well be interested in supplying the spices we all use.

We would all buy meat locally, so maybe a major food chain could be induced to give people a break on meat.

Granted, this is blue-sky dreaming, but what the hell? (Personally I want to kick the pants off a few people with my pork butt. )

Jim

I'm out, I don't stand a chance against you.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx there'd be a lot of similarly awesome food. How many folks would use MMD, Kingsford, and a couple wood chunks for their ribs? I think there'd be more ties than anything.

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, if that were the case then that would be a fantastic testament to just how great this site is.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      boftx, very true. The bar is high and we'd hopefully all hit it

Might be blue-sky dreaming but it's a cool idea. Pretty sure I'd wind up dead last but I'd be up for it.

Comment

That would be awesome... Maybe it could be to benefit something like Operation BBQ Relief!

Or tie it in with some sort of big BBQ trade show like HPBA or something...

Comment

Since we're dreaming, wouldn't it be cool to have an Amazing Ribs tent/booth at one of the major bbq competitions? Not that we'd enter anything in the competition itself, we'd be there competing against each other and handing out food to the people passing by. Sort of a competition within a competition.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          If I could ever get to a competition you damn well better believe I'd be entered in it. After all, my last name is "Bacon", you might say I have some meat in this.

I have to ask....any relation to Kevin?

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          No, but only 2 degrees of separation.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Great reply boftx ...😆

LOTTA stars would have to line up for me to travel in the foreseeable future. Not that I couldn't enjoy the fact it occurred and I could keep up with things from afar.

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          You would be on my hitlist, too.

huh...my ribs have been so bad this year that the dogs spits them out. 😩

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          That is so bad, I ... just don't know what to say. I mean, I would have to compare that to one of my ex-wives and even then, damn!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          DWCowles ...

Now that's funny...😆

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Just did my first rib rack of the spring last night and they sucked". I'm with you, DWCowles .

Musta been one ornery old pig. Biggest BB's I think I've ever seen.

There are no pictures. It did not happen.

Interesting... It could be done, riding on the coattails of the now World famous Meathead's best selling cookbook.👍

Call it the Backyard Pit Masters cook off... Sponsored by Weber grills & Kingsford Charcoal Co.

It would be easy to attract the press so it would get lots of coverage in the BBQ world. Sponsor's love getting free press. Meathead & AR would benefit from the free press. Kingsford & Meathead are already married.😉 Weber has gotten lots of business from AR members, especially since @Pitt Boss perfected their cooker for them, at no charge.😆 Finding a major meat supplier to provide the ribs at no cost for the free advertising would be a great possibility.

Before you know it all the BBQ suppliers would want in on the EVENT.

Just thinking out loud.😎

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure you on the right thread with this post...??

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          😆... Game on my friend!

It's not about if you win or lose... It's how you play the game!😆

I'll warn you now... I will lie, cheat and steal but you will never see it.😆

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I would put my jerk chicken up against the competition!

Think about a regional cook off with winners of the regionals gathering for a final. Just a thought.

Comment

JohnF, Now I think you are cooking with Grease. The others jumped into the Cool Aid without considering the travel expenses! Also what would happen if al 12,727 of us Showed Up? I might be able to go 350-550 miles to Attend and Kick Butt! 👍👍😇👍👍.
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 15, 2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I'm not keen on a competition, but I am thinking seriously about an annual meetup or a big party, perhaps with grill manufacturers showing off their wares. Problem is finding the time to pull it off. Any volunteers?

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Obviously I'm biased, but Vegas is always a relatively low fare destination and you can get great deals in the summer. Too late for this year, maybe, but something to consider.

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Nate I think you got some great ideas here. Glad to see you take the lead on this. I'm looking forward to shaking your hand in Chicago soon.

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Nate Jon Solberg Y'all don't want to have it down south someplace? You know, where folks actually know how to barbecue? ; ) I'd like to volunteer to help but can't be the lead.

Great idea

I'm in Vancouver BC but i'll come out to an annual meetup for sure

Comment

Maybe here in Chicagoland. After all, we have Meathead, Weber, a huge airport, and Rahm wants to increase tourism massively (no comment).

Comment

I'm not so big on the competition thing, how about getting together for an old-fashioned cookout? Nobody loses, everybody wins! And who judges, anyway?

Maybe a regional thing where folks wouldn't have to travel more than a day's drive?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here