Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You’re Even Considering A MeatUp….We’d Like Your Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was planning to go but work got in the way. Have a vacation house in Gruene TX so room and board not an issue.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      So what you're saying is, the venue is now at YOUR place?????

Is there not a ranch with camping and cabins? Or with non-refundable deposits grab an AirBnB mansion?

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, there’s camping places and places with cabins. I can assure you, ain’t none of us wanna go camping. 😂 And there’s places with cabins, but what I’ve found so far, is not enough cabins on site for our needs or other reasons it won’t work for us. We’re still looking around though.
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 9, 2022, 06:15 PM.

This was a reply to LA Pork Butt 's post above but I decided to copy it here as a regular post. Here are some BBQ places near Blanco: Driftwood (Salt Lick BBQ) is nearby. Black Board BBQ in Boerne. Several places in and near Austin - Valentina's is on the SW side. Opie's BBQ in Spicewood. Alice's in Dripping Springs (at Treaty Oak Distillery). In Blanco itself is Old 300 BBQ. Texas Monthly gave it an OK review in 2016: brisket was as good as anyone's, other things were OK (a little overdone). Smoked cheese cake was good.

Even if the 300 migrants first given land grants in Texas didn't make it to Blanco, Old 300 BBQ is still a good lesson in Texas history. The Hill

There is Ronnie's in Johnson City. Ronnie still cooks brisket "Hill Country Style" - over live coals rather than in an offset.

Here is a quote from Texas Monthly: "Small briskets are preferred in direct-heat cooking, and it’s no different at Ronnie’s. Weiershausen cooks them for twelve hours, but don’t expect a slow-smoked flavor. The slices taste closer to grilled meat, and the crunchy bark isn’t something you can achieve in an offset smoker. It wouldn’t win any competitions, but that might be why I liked it so much."

Last edited by 58limited; May 9, 2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Damn! I forgot that Real Ale Brewing Company is in Blanco! I love their beers!

Real Ale has been brewing in the Texas Hill Country since 1996 producing handcrafted beer that is unfiltered, unpasteurized, and available only in Texas.

Comment

I’m at a bit of a loss here. Several places west of Austin were mentioned above, but may be farther than Rockdale. Wimberly is beautiful, closer than Blanco, and may have some options. Just not knowledgeable enough to help much.

Comment

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          Kelly's BBQ is in Wimberly, they got some solid brisket - but sell out pretty quick.

A lot in this thread. Being Covid is behind us, sort of and your looking at Austin in October, I will seriously look to attend. As far as hotel cost, under $300 a night is reasonable depending on the property. So y'all discuss figure out when and where. If it shakes out I'll be there. It will be me as my wife has no interest. What a shame.

Oh, the Austin piece is a big influence for me.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Great Richie! We’d love to have you. I can assure you it will be below $300. a night. Plus, just think, me and you can sit under the stars, drinking Coors Light together and solving the problem of attaining world peace!

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Well you just lost me. World Piece I'm all in. I ain't drinkin' that Sewer Water.

Have you tried looking on VRBO for accommodations? I have used them for groups up to 12 with great success.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          VRBO is like AirBNB

• DennyWoo
          DennyWoo commented
          Editing a comment
          Like airbnb, but a step up imo. Vrbo.com. Type in where you want to stay, how many people in your group and any other criteria you need. you can find some really nice places. I'm52, and I haven't stayed in a hotel on vacation since I discovered this about 6 years ago.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          I'd be up for pitching in for a nice big house on a lake. I've done that for a group of about 10 once. Gotta make sure you've got plenty of bathrooms and bedrooms. In addition, sometimes you get nice outdoor living areas - especially with houses that big - and firepits. Lots of homes specialize in this kind of thing, especially 'corporate getaways', etc.

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
        Uncle Bob MBMorgan Troutman ecowper Texas Larry Loren CandySueQ Spinnaker Jim White and anyone else possibly interested in attending, can y’all please give us your thoughts? I’m open to whatever the group wants to do. All comments are welcome and appreciated.
        I'm pretty easy about places and dates. I'd pretend to check my calendar but I've been retired long enough now to no longer care about keeping up appearances ... so I'll just say that October is wide open for me. Also September and November.

As far as places go, the Rainbow Courts (or something very similar to it) seems ideal as it lends itself easily to just hanging out with the group.

As far as proximity to BBQ joints goes ... I just don't care. Truthfully, I eat very little BBQ (other than what I make myself) and wouldn't complain if the only place nearby had Golden Arches ... and was reasonably close to a source of cold beer.

Cost? I won't say that it doesn't matter but I probably wouldn't be very comfortable at any place that makes my hand shake as I hand over the credit card.

My Hill Country experience is limited to New Braunfels (close to Austin), Clifton (close to Waco), and the area just west of Austin over looking Lake Whatever-the-Hell-Its-Name-Is.

Bottom line: Don't care where. Don't care when. See you there ...

... although, now that I think about it, North Eastern Washington might be fun, too. It'd be interesting to see if all that hair that ComfortablyNumb shows off in his avatar is real or just a full-body wig.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! It's a full body wig made of hair.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! It’s a full body wig made of hair.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I couldn't have said it better. Twice, it seems.

I won't be able to get there but could you could find a hotel near a park with grills? Might give you more options.

Comment

I'm good with whatever makes sense. The place in Blanco looks great and I can do all of that price range. Let me know what weekend and I'll book a room

Comment

Hey guys, here’s a place in Wimberly that we’re seriously looking at. Wimberly is a beautiful little town with lots of things to do and also has a top notch BBQ joint right in town. This place is closer to Austin and more scenic than Blanco. The lodgings are called the 7a Ranch, and it’s right across the street from the Blanco River. The room rates would be $140. per night for the first 10 of us to book in the Moonlight Lodge. After that, 4 rooms are available in Pioneer Town for $185-$200. per night. We’re all close to each other, wherever you stay, 90 second walk at the most. I’m posting a link to the place, check it out and let me know your thoughts. So far, most of us like this place and location better than Blanco, but nothing’s settled yet. Thanks everyone.

Family Friendly Blanco River Cabins and Large Group Lodging in Wimberley, Texas.

The lodge we’re looking at is called the Moonlight Lodge. At the top of their website click on "Lodges" then Moonlight Lodge. Also under "Cabins" check out "Pioneer Town Inn". This place is really cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B83025DA-D11C-4553-9F03-9FC362B40B80.png
Views:	124
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	1219663
            Click image for larger version

Name:	A2FF19D7-F457-459A-8E81-096AB8E8469B.png
Views:	115
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1219664
            Last edited by Panhead John; May 10, 2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice, PJ ... that'll work, too!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              Editing a comment
              Oh man, that's right near Dripping Springs! I think I'd have to stop there just to take a picture with a bottle of vodka in my hand. lol

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm also in here..I mean, you had me at Hill Country to be honest 🤣

Just curious, how would you guys feel about having a teenager around? My son will be 17 then and we won't want to leave him home alone - PLUS, we'll just be an hour or so from a bunch of my family in San Antonio, including his 96 year-old grandmother! We've been saying we need to get back down to see her, so if we're going that close, we'll want to have him with us so he can visit. We might even take him into SA, drop him with some family for the weekend? I dunno. But if he were with us, he would probably just want to hang out on his phone or computer or whatever. He wouldn't be a problem, I can guarantee that.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto Captain Mike! Plus, he can help us with our computer/phone/tablet problems…😂

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              DogFaced PonySoldier We’ll be making an announcement today or tomorrow on an exact location for the MeatUp…..probably.

• Clark
              Clark commented
              Editing a comment
              Why not have a teenager there? Panhead John will have someone to talk to.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here