Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas MeatUp made me…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas MeatUp made me…

The Texas MeatUp made me want to try more BBQ joints, so it was off to one of Texas Monthly’s top 50, Hutchins, in McKinney, Texas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	777C48A9-EAFB-464A-8324-65F3562F4222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.57 MB ID:	1213405

The wife and I had the lunch special.

Click image for larger version  Name:	040864A4-19F8-4C7E-9CAE-10D89AAB2656.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	1213406

My wife had the chopped brisket sandwich with the broccoli salad and Mac and cheese with bacon. We really liked the broccoli salad. The Mac and cheese was good but nothing exceptional.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F41A638C-F00B-4956-B979-CAA75078F6ED.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	1213407

I had the pulled pork sandwich with the brisket pinto beans and slaw. Both the beans and slaw were typical of good sides with the pintoes a slight notch above.

Both the brisket and pulled pork were large and good. The BBQ sauce was typical Texas tangy which I liked.

This place is not in the top 10, but probably in the top 30s.

It all looks really good. I like creamy Mac 'N Cheese like that.

Comment

Another stop at a Texas Monthly top 50.
      We did the three meat sampler of ribs, brisket, and turkey along with their only three sides at Stanley’s in Tyler, Texas. The baby back ribs were tender and juicy and pulled cleanly off of the bone with some chew, but like the Texas Monthly review they could have used more bark. The turkey was moist and tender with a black pepper crust. The brisket was tender and moist with one piece slightly dry. The surprise was the sides. While they were typical in choice, beans, slaw and potato salad, they were not typical in quality. The beans were good with a little kick, and the slaw had a vinegar-mustard dressing with cilantro. The potato salad was made with red potatoes and had a nice creamy dressing which I considered well above the potato salad found at your typical BBQ joint, I liked the BBQ sauce which had a nice balance between the tartness and sweetness.

Where would I rank this place? Probably between # 15 and # 25. We stopped on the way home from a family reunion. While I wouldn’t make a special trip from my home, since it is an hour and a half from my home, I would definitely stop in if I was in the area to do a three meat sampler of the sausage, pulled pork and boneless chicken thighs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	722CA292-896A-4C82-8367-FD0BC6582B3E.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	1240279 Click image for larger version

Name:	D110BFB8-D584-4C18-896C-29D410C079C8.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	1240280This place has live music on the weekends.

Name:	E5422E7A-40BC-45A2-BE04-01E6E7AE1FA4.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	1240281

Comment

Great bucket list!

Comment

Looks like a fun trip!

Comment

Yeah man!

Comment

Oh man, to have those choices....
              I've been to Tyler on one occasion, probably 25 years ago.
              My sister lived in Kaufman and it was in a dry county back then.

Comment

At the time I was there, probably 7 years ago I put Stanley’s in my top ten. The brisket was top notch. Been back once since with similar results.
                Last edited by Texas Larry; June 21, 2022, 05:39 PM.

Comment

smokin fool not to make you feel bad, but there are 11 top 50 joints within 40 miles of my house. I need to get busy.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not all hope is lost my son met a girl online from Dallas, they've been dating for over 18 months now.
                    See each other face to face every 3-4 months....it seems to be working so who am I to poo-poo it.
                    She has a fantastic job in the Colony so if anyone's moving its him if there's wedding bells a ringin.
                    Means I have another place to crash and hit Pits down there.

We try to hit anew to us Q joint every time we visit our Son in Austin.

Comment

I believe the place in McKinney is where my son goes for the pork belly burnt ends and cheese grits. He loves them.

Comment

Good bark on ribs comes from 275-300 pit temps. Mine are sizzling when I sauce.

Comment

We went to Waxahachie, Texas today and stopped in at Meat Church and picked up some of their Holy Voodoo rub.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	A703DA76-1575-4522-BC58-B96D9488D434.jpg Views:	6 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	1245227

I should have known better since the Vault Smokehouse wasn’t in the Texas Monthly database, but the locals said it was the best in town, and they started using Meat Church’s rubs.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	8F62E8E8-ABC4-4B68-8B92-9F0006B824A5.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	1245228
                        If you would place Dickey’s BBQ as mediocre, I would place this place as somewhere between mediocre and bad. I know bad because I had it a joint in Georgia that had been highlighted in Southern Living. I wouldn’t say it was bad, but from my point of view I wouldn’t make a return visit. The ribs were tender, built nondescript. The brisket was a little dry. The sauce was good, but a little on the sweet side for a traditional Texas sauce. Unlike my visit to Stanley’s a couple of weeks ago where the sides were exceptional even though traditional, the beans were too salty and Kraft would have been an improvement over the Mac and Cheese unless creaminess trumps taste. They were out of the Jalapeño cheese sausage, and the regular was nothing special,

I guess the lesson is if it is not in Texas Monthly’s Top 50, there is a high probably there will be a letdown.

Name:	87597425-9311-4AC2-A16F-1052F9686347.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	1245245
                        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 30, 2022, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Purc
                          Purc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How was the trip to Meat Church? Is it worth a 45 minute drive?

• LA Pork Butt
                          LA Pork Butt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Purc We really went to spend the day in Waxahachie and stopped in at Meat Church since we were already there. I think I could pretty much get all the rubs and sauces here in Dallas. But, if you wanted things like Meat Church hats and shirts it would be the placed to go. There was a guy from Frisco loading up on rubs, but I wouldn’t make the special trip.
                          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 30, 2022, 06:01 PM.

• Purc
                          Purc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, that answers my question.

Well, we were on vacation and decided to sample some BBQ outside of the State of Texas. Unfortunately before we could complete the trip my wife came down with covid. We were suppose to be at my sister’s surprise 80th birthday, but we had to cancel. I came down with covid yesterday, but both of us appear to have mild cases, Well, here was our BBQ stop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A28552AB-03C1-4A8B-BD1E-89A4B156C572.jpg Views:	14 Size:	3.97 MB ID:	1260211
                        I have bee wanting to sample their chicken for a long time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C0CA856E-35E0-466E-8EE2-F77A0957C4C3.jpg Views:	14 Size:	3.84 MB ID:	1260212
                        My wife and I split this three meat two side "Little Sampler." It was a real bargain at $20 bucks.The mearts were all good, but nothing rivaled the best of the best. The bark on the pulled pork was very good, but like most pulled pork that has been waiting a while to be served was a little dry, but not terrible. The bark on the brisket was good, too, and more moist than the pork. The chicken smoked and basted with white sauce, was a little dry and like all smoked chicken skin was uneatable. But, the chicken was flavorful.. The rolls were nothing special unless you were hungry.

While the meats were good, but not strong stand outs compared with other top BBQ joints meats, the Mac and Cheese was a stand out. It was filled with cheese flavor and wasn’t soupy. From my perspective it was just right in consistency. Also, I picked up a bargain bottle of Big Bob Gibson’s White sauce ($3.50) which was thinner and more vinegary that the version I make, We cook a lot of boneless skinless chicken thighs, so my plan is to marinate them, basting them while smoke roasting at 375, and give them a dunk when they are finished. We will see how that works.

Where would I place Big Bob Gibson’s in the Texas Monthly’s Top 50? I would put them in the top 40-50 category. It wouldn’t be worth stopping if you are looking for the top 10, but it you are looking for a good BBQ meal give it a try. The place was packed, but there wer no lines to get seated. They waite the tables which isn’t typical of most Texas BBQ joints.
                        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 23, 2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                          CaptainMike commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice write up. Sucks that you both got the bug, I hope it passes soon and you get up and at 'em! Looking forward to seeing both in October.

One additional stop but without pics. A while back I read a review on Leatha’s in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I sent it to a friend who lived near by. He gave it a try and was pleased. So when I was in the area visiting this past vacation we went to Leatha’s. They have since located to a neighboring town that is rapidly growing. We ordered the three meat plate with chicken, baby backs, and the pulled pork along with the slaw and potato salad. The chicken was dry. The baby backs appeared to be grilled and then wrapped. They were plenty moist and tender. The pulled pork like all the meats was in a thin vinegary sauce that wasn’t available to the tables. There were no sauces available. The slaw and the potato salad was mustard based. I thought the slaw was a little dry, but not being a fan of mustard based potato salad it was pretty good.

I think we have all eaten at places like this. The food was not bad but not good either. If I wanted BBQ and it was the only place available I would choose some other food to eat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here