Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One more Tx. Meat-up post.....but with a twist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more Tx. Meat-up post.....but with a twist...

It's easy to see that many of you are enjoying the posts elsewhere from ecowper, Walrusking, and of course, Panhead John that explain the where, and food enjoyed along with the comradery. After all, those are the primary purposes. While we each make online connections with kindred spirits here on the boards, it's another notch up on the social interaction scale when we get together in person. That's more the focus in this post since the threads above have done a pretty thorough job of naming names and rating foods.

No doubt "The Big Do" that is planned for Memphis next year will be an experience at a high level. A chance for members to meet and greet on a large scale. But, logistics for some folks will keep them from fitting that event into their schedule or travel plans. Hopefully our tales of success with the Texas Meat-ups has inspired others to think, "What if we did that sort of thing here?" Wherever "here" is. My advice is, DO IT!

The first thing is getting the idea headed to a reality. We were fortunate that Panhead John took it upon himself to do the initial planning to do our first gathering last spring. While we in Texas have some advantages in having a huge choice of BBQ joints to focus on, and we enjoyed more freedom of movement/gathering than some locales, these kinds of events are like a wheelbarrow....................they don't move if you don't push 'em. I think John would agree that while it took some effort it was far from an onerous task. And local enthusiasm helps build the momentum. The start for that is to poll those in your region for interest. Don't be afraid to start small because if you're successful folks will look forward to the event and it's associated activities.

John did a good job of finding the Rainbow Courts as a fitting lodging locale. We could meet just as easily in a "conventional" motel, but as you may have noticed the kitschy ambient nature of a vintage motor court adds to the appeal. But the lack of exactly that sort of venue shouldn't be a deterrent. After all, it's going to be about the people involved primarily. What is important is that where ever you stay it be convenient for out of state folks to get to if they choose to fly in. Think something within an hour or so of a major airfield. We've been blessed to have members from California ( CaptainMike twice), Washington State, Virginia, and probably elsewhere I've forgotten. And while we are mostly focused on BBQ, that too needn't be an exclusive decision factor. As you may have noticed in the ecowper posting, a well regarded Mexican (read Tex-Mex) restaurant was enjoyed. We are mostly foodies in general after all.

And here might be a "secret" that would be wise to embrace. Most members have a spouse, significant other, family member, whatever that will be part of the plan. More than half our group this past weekend were paired. Sure, these events are motivated by our passion for BBQ, but those around us should have some options for interest/entertainment as well. We got a clear message about that notion when we took the opportunity after lunch at Miller's BBQ to survey another facility for future Meat-ups. Across the highway from that facility was a horse barn with ponies all over the place. We brought our gang over there (it helped that we had an "insider" among us) and while the guys showed some interest, the gals were in pony heaven, feeding cookies to the beggars, petting and cooing. Little girls rarely grow out of pony love. But there could be other interest points; antique stores, craft markets or events, and so on. Include those points of interest, promote them as well, and you just might see an uptick in participation.

Whomever takes the lead is going to need some help. But with a handful of minds (and just a tad of backs) it isn't at all overwhelming. Wouldn't it be great if in any given year there would be a couple dozen events like this that brought our online community even more closely bound together than it already is?
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; October 25, 2021, 08:59 AM.

What a great set of observations and follow up. My wife and I had a similar discussion when I mentioned how much I'd enjoy coming to something like this. It would have to be a 'we' event and not just a 'me' event, especially since I travel a fair bit already. As you can tell from my posts, we love food - not just BBQ, so a variety of awesome is a great idea. Putting some effort into coordinating the location, activities, and eatin' venues is going to be worth the effort to keep all attending parties involved and happy.

Kudos to Panhead John for spearheading. I know who to call if we want to start something in GA.

Comment

Unclebob makes great points. I can tell you that as we were heading to Texas, Stacy was concerned that it was going to be nothing but BBQ morning, noon, and night. Which it was not, clearly. But she truly enjoyed the social gathering time, getting to meet and know everyone, and the other activities.

A big kudos to the two guys that really made this happen: Panhead John, who found the Rainbow Courts and encouraged us all to do this. And Troutman who helped corral things in June and October and, especially, fronted the money for Brett's special dinner for us. Very appreciated!

We will be back, but I'm also pondering how I might make something like this work in the Pacific Northwest.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just thinking this morning on a PNW meat up. MV is about 8 hrs from us, but we'd make it an RV sightseeing trip.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool there's always smoked meat!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob that guy must be loving it!

I have been considering this for some time - need to get past the considerin' stage...

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I was just thinking this morning on a PNW meat up. MV is about 8 hrs from us, but we'd make it an RV sightseeing trip.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb We can just give him directions to the Methow instead

Right on point, Bob. These improvised meat ups have definitely spurred my interest in attending others. Something else to consider is that many of us might have other friends or family nearby a venue that we can incorporate a visit into. We have a few friends that were within an hour or so drive from Rockdale and got to visit with some last June. And just to let everyone know, Collette and I call "DIBS" on the executive suite at Eric and Stacy's!!
      Last edited by CaptainMike; October 25, 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        ....guess I'm on the air mattress again....

As much as there is a lot of good natured fun poked at Panhead John he certainly brings a lot to the entire group and along with every one else Kudo's for your part along with Troutman for making the Texas meat-ups a reality.

Comment

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Shhh - he'll hear you. His head's gonna have trouble fitting back in the trailer.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll repeat what I said once before in a different thread: Panhead John always punches up with his humor, not down. He pokes fun at himself. That is a great virtue, and important for (us) wannabe comedians! Respect.

Thanks Uncle Bob and others for the kind words. To anyone considering starting their own MeatUp in their area, I can say this…it was actually fun to do, not a burden at all. Thanks to the Internet, it wasn’t that difficult to accomplish. I know that in other parts of the country/world, it could be more of a challenge.
      Bob brought up some great points above. Including spouses or a plus one is always welcomed. The ladies on our recent trip, were an absolute joy to be around and contributed a lot of laughs and interesting conversations, even though they were all hitting on me and trying to get my number.

And the notion that it doesn’t have to be all about the BBQ is another great
      point. The Tex Mex restaurant we found was a welcome diversion for most of us. A few of us actually ate there twice during our stay. As mentioned, we will be doing this again in April and hopefully we can have an even better turnout than before.
      Bob and his wife Lee brought us to an absolutely beautiful facility near their home to consider for our April MeatUp. In many ways it’s even better than our place at The Rainbow. Stay tuned.
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 25, 2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I for one will pass on that visual thank you. What were you thinking ComfortablyNumb ?

Richard Chrz
      Well Richard, we definitely need to try make a WI meet up happen up your way in the spring sometime. Count me in to help organize. We’ll both have our usual long and cold winter to noodle on ideas.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Like what has been said on this thread, I think it is a good option to consider looking at whatever good restaurants are in the area especially if there are no BBQ places locally.

You didn’t think I’d actually pass on that comment did you ComfortablyNumb ?

ACTUAL UNTOUCHED PHOTO OF ME IN COLLEGE
      Click image for larger version  Name:	32908080-0011-4FE5-8AC0-0DE5706407B2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	60.3 KB ID:	1115535
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 25, 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        OMG! He says trying to scratch his eyes out.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually graduated summa cum laude from Central Idaho School of Cockfighting.

• Davek8282
        Davek8282 commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John you should have shaved before your big photo shoot. (Especially the legs)

Kudos to John ( Panhead John ) and Steve ( Troutman ) for putting it all together ... and until I saw PJ's most recent post, I was going to say that I'm sorry I couldn't be there. Instead, I must now go wash out my eyes with soap ...

Comment

MBMorgan Says this guy

Click image for larger version

Name:	7FE7E765-CCA5-42A8-8833-596575406DE0.gif
Views:	225
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1115571 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Beats me.

Just wanted to add another thank you to Panhead John and Troutman for their major contributions to making the 2nd Meat Up a success. There were others who helped, out and to them I say thanks. My wife, too, says thanks for the welcome and humor, and is not sure she will give up her spot to my son for the next Meat Up.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Who says they both can’t come?

Some of the above posts got me to thinking. While we are primarily a BBQ website, who says a MeatUp has to involve only BBQ restaurants? Take advantage of what your area/state has to offer. ecowper earlier mentioned he was wondering how he could make this work in The Pacific Northwest. We have many members in the Washington/Oregon/Northern California region. If you’re having trouble locating a worthy BBQ place, hell, do a seafood MeatUp. Y’all have many excellent restaurants that offer fresh Pacific caught seafood. I’d be all over that in a heartbeat.

Let’s say you have several members who’d like to do a MeatUp, but you suffer from a lack of worthy Q-joints. If you can’t find one in the area of your MeatUp, here’s a possibility. Do a pot luck for Friday night. Someone can do a brisket, pork butt or ribs, etc. at home. Have others bring side dishes to share. Our members and their wives or husbands could probably do just as good or better than most restaurants anyway. Then plan the rest of your meals at a few killer restaurants nearby….seafood, steakhouse, Mexican, Asian or whatever. Remember, this is mainly about the camaraderie, followed by the food.

I’d love to do a MeatUp in Louisiana and gear it towards one BBQ spot, and the rest of the time stuffing my belly with some of the best Cajun/Creole food the world has to offer. Lafayette and New Orleans alone have tons of top notch restaurants. We could not only get some of our Cajun members to go, but also members from nearby Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Texas, or wherever. Hmmmm🧐
        Last edited by Panhead John; October 25, 2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          My place is a great RV in spot and I would happily host. Have done so many times.

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Based on the photos regularly posted, I'd venture that it's even odds the crew here could do as well and better than the restaurants. We already know ecowper can do it!

Are ecowper and CaptainMike okay after that cyclone bomb hit the West Coast?
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; October 25, 2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          All quiet on the western front here. Got a good and welcome drenching, all while enjoying the warm weather and equally warm company deep in the heart of Texas!

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thrilled with the storm. Usually this giant tulip tree and giant oak drop their leaves over our property. This storm blew from the south east at our location, and all the leaves went to the neighbors! Our driveway was clean this afternoon! Bring it on.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr. Pepper all the damn maple leaves are in my gutters now

You guys really let this one go off the rails, I should have showed up to maintain order. Now we have Uncle Bob "showing off his horses" and talk about turning things into a "weekend of your diet in BFE."

Look, a couple of bottles of wine will keep the women busy so everyone else can talk shop. 😎

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here