Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midwest Meat up 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midwest Meat up 2022

So, since I have never been to a Meat up of any kind for bbq, I have no idea of what generally happens, how much cooking is done, do people bring their own, or rely upon the host city. In this instance it may be LaCrosse Wi. I would be able to attend if held here. I don't drive, and need special accommodations at hotels, etc..

Jfrosty27 put this idea in my head, and a few others from Wi were quick to jump in. I live in a Mississippi River town, so there is a ton of stuff to do. With that being said, meet up areas for cooking, such as a park, may not always be available, as Mississippi River towns can flood the backwater parks. At least at the location I would most want. Lot's of hotels, and a campground at the park that I would like to have it at. But, we should maybe start planning this. Depending on, I may even get us live music, with all of us chipping in a bit for the musician or band.

So,.....
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 29, 2021, 11:14 AM.

I would make the drive across the river for this. I am sure Skip would too.

Comment

The Neshonic Lakeside camp resort in West Salem would be awesome to go to. We compete at BBQ contests they have there and it's beautiful. Cabins that can fit many people would provide good comraderies'
      Just another idea. But I'm down for whatever!

Comment

Hmmm, road trip, me thinks.

Comment

A Meat Up can be whatever you want it to be. We cooked on Friday night at the 1st Texas Meat Up and are having the 2nd one catered. I think the only requirement would that is built around BBQ and getting to know some of the Pit members.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            What he said. Tailor it to your liking. Our emphasis was on food, visiting various bbq joints, doing a bit of imbibing and getting to know one another. Simple as that.

FWIW, Bonesy ( Mr. Bones ) ... and lately, Panhead John ... have been noodling around with the idea of a 2022 Meat-Up somewhere closer to the middle of the continental US ... starting with a location like "somewhere not too far from Kansas City". Perhaps we can join forces and try to get something going that would be reasonably accessible to more of us?

Comment

I could possibly make that, depending on the when, seems like we've always got something going lately.

Comment

Richard I already gassed up the car and have my toothbrush in my pocket. Let's do this!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                Toothbrushes! So, this is going to be a fancy get-together!

Richard, there’s always McDonalds!

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Time it around a McRib run and we’re set!

I am about 4 hours from La Crosse WI and 7 from Kansas City so it's possible.

A major city like Chicago probably makes logistics easier but Chicago BBQ isn't exactly known nationally.

It might be fun to try and find the hidden gem of Midwest BBQ similar to Brett's in TX so we can have an unique experience to share with the Pit.

We could pick a protein and maybe team up at a local motel or location to cook a few different takes on it for sort of a group or nformal class. Maybe the Grilla folks do something?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                There's some very good Q in Chicagoland, but we don't have a nationally adopted style like the 4 classic capitals of Q. That said, a lot of em got their meats through Chicago back in the day.

Chicago is more known for Steak, which would make it's own gathering, particularly as they cook a lot faster.

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                I may have posted this already below, but I'll repeat: Let's do this in Richard Chrz 's home town!
                Last edited by Dr. Pepper; October 1, 2021, 10:22 PM.

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Dr. Pepper I am also okay with La Crosse as mentioned elsewhere so happy to work with that as the default assumption going forward

Maybe we all figure out how to finally cook a suckling or pig together?

Comment

Darren and Sherry Warth’s Smokey D’s is in Des Moines There’s a few other pretty decent BBQ joints around too, like Jethro’s, Flying Mango, and Hickory Park (30 mins from Des Moines). DSM ain’t as pretty as the river towns, but the Warth’s have a few trophies for their food.

Comment

Don't forget about Memphis in late March!

I might be able to hop the SS Badger ferry across the mighty Lake Michigan and get to Wisconsin and pick up FireMan whether he likes it or not. Of course if I can go to a store to buy cooking oil and walk out of it without cooking oil then I just might forget all about getting FireMan. (inside joke, he knows the story)

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup that's sounds exactly like a drunken escapade to me. You guys were more concerned about the imbibing rather than the oil, now admit it

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman I enjoy an ice cold adult beverage earlier in the day than most. I blame it on being a night shifter and my sense of time being all out of whack, so that very well could've been my deal. Which is why FireMan drove into town. He didn't even give me the option!!

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If Fireman doesn't like it, I think it's considered a kidnapping. #AmberAlertForFireMan

I am definitely in for anything in the Midwest. But understanding Richard’s challenges, LaCrosse, WI is good for me. As he says, it’s a beautiful area with many things to do and see.

I would also be down with planning some sort of cooking at least for one big evening meal. I drive an Avalanche and can bring cookers. For example, I have two Orion Cookers and can bang out 12 racks of darn tasty ribs in less than 90 min. I have others I could bring as well.

As for lodgings, I am not a camper so the cabins sound about right for me. But I will be flexible.

Music? Whatever. I’m in.

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am also okay with focusing on La Crosse if that helps and can try my best to make if the timing is right
                    Last edited by STEbbq; September 29, 2021, 03:21 PM.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I might load up the camping trailer and smokers.

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Damn right you will, John Spinaker!

Hey Richard, as a seasoned veteran of….one…..MeatUp ​​​​​​ I’d like to share my thoughts and tips with you on what I think would make a successful and enjoyable MeatUp for everyone. I’d guess that my buddies who were at the Texas MeatUp in June will concur with most of my thoughts.

1. It’s all about the camaraderie…..followed by the BBQ! To finally meet some of the knuckleheads I’ve been conversing with online was my biggest joy of the weekend, closely followed by the food! We were blessed on our MeatUp to be near several top notch BBQ spots from our location in Texas. I realize that might not be the case for someone else planning a MeatUp.

2. Location, location location. Try to plan your get together to be close to a few great Q joints. Nobody wants to drive 2 hours to eat, then turn around and drive 2 more to go back to your room.

3. Choose your accommodations wisely. One of the best things about our MeatUp in June was we had everyone staying at the same place. This is important to me for a few reasons. Everyone can enjoy their favorite adult beverages with each other and not have to worry about driving back to their room. Also it makes it so much easier for everyone to just walk to your central meeting place at the hotel/motel/cabins etc. Designate a room or area of where you’re staying as "the meeting place".

4. Make Friday night easy on yourself. This is the chance to just relax and meet everyone. Many people will have driven (or flew!) a long distance to get to your MeatUp and might not feel like cooking food for a lot of people. We did grill steaks for everyone on our Texas MeatUp and I don’t regret it a bit. But, looking back, it was a lot of extra work and stress which I hope to avoid in the future. Loren 58limited and myself packed up cookers, utensils and a lot of extra stuff for the Friday night steak cook. Also Troutman generously bought and dry aged most of the ribeyes we ate. Not to mention all the prep time involved which took away from the chance to just sit down and BS with everyone. Personally, I’m glad we’re gonna cater the next one in a few weeks. If you want your get together to involve cooking, I’d save that for Saturday.

5. Don’t rule out a pot luck for Friday night instead of a restaurant. AR has some of the most generous and thoughtful people around. Most of us would be more than happy to contribute a dish for the chance to relax at the hotel (or wherever) Friday night , and try out each others cooking. In fact, several of us were talking about doing that for our next MeatUp, until the catering idea came to mind. Someone could do a pork butt, ribs or whatever at home, then bring it with you to the MeatUp. Others could do side dishes to compliment the meal.

When you do decide to plan your get together, consider everyone’s input on what, where and when to have it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much everyone in our group last June, were all in agreement on just about everything involved in putting it together. My takeaway on it is…..less stress for everyone and more fun. Good luck Richard, I’m sure you’ll have plenty of people wanting to put one together with you.
                  Last edited by Panhead John; September 29, 2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will vouch for Troutman being the last man standing. Uncle Bob brought a very nice jug of sippin whiskey that made several rounds amongst 4 of us or so. We ran out of that and Panhead John graciously broke out some brown-tinted turpentine that made several more rounds amongst us. I think the turpentine did me in and when I left well after midnight Troutman was banging his empty glass on the table hollering "WET MY DRINK YOU DAMN FOOLS!"

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well I think we hijacked the Wisconsin Meat-up thread (crazy Texans) but wanted you all to know that I bought an expensive bottle of Scotch and will be bringing a sensible bottle of Gin to wash it down with to Rockdale 2.0. I'm gettin' ready !!!!!

• Uncle Bob
                    Uncle Bob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman must have been deeper in the bag than I realized. I was not tipping strippers in Austin......................it was only a few miles up the road in Lockhart.............I know how to drink responsibly unlike those kids I was with.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here