Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midwest Meat up 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the last Va, Md meatup review. We camp, tents and take turns making or adding to the meals. Thanks to Mudkat
    VA/MD Meat-Up Follow Up - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)
    Last edited by HawkerXP; September 30, 2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, you guys were really the pioneer prototypes for these meat-ups. They are well worth the effort !!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      They are, Indeed, "Larger Than Life"

Pioneers.

Path Blazers.

'River Rats', reckon is what they'd call em, where I was brought up...

Mudkat
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 30, 2021, 11:18 PM.

Lots of interest from me driving up from Indy. I only have 311 sick days at work...

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Are they paid? Not sure if I'd take a year off or keep building them up and retire a few years early.

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they are "paid" if I take them off. If I wait until I retire they are worth $50 a day. I'm five years from being able to retire on paper, but realistically 10 years out. So I don't mind taking a day or two between now and then :-)

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      mrteddyprincess That could be a savings account for one REALLY fancy smoker to get yourself as a retirement gift in 10 years

If the timing works out I am all over a meat up in LaCrosse, beautiful area, and close to Milwaukee going to the Memphis meat up in the spring also.

Comment

I am starting to reach out to possibilities with cabins, or very good hotel areas. We do not have bbq spots in LaCrosse other then my driveway… lol (sadly, honestly, other then like. Famous Dave’s, that is it!) . But, I would so love to get together and meat as many of you as I could. Even if Panhead John has to cook for us… eeek!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        We could set up and do a cook somewhere in Lacrosse. I can bring my camping trailer over and kinda set up an outdoor kitchen. KBQ, PBCs can be brought over. Just an idea.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker John, would my KBQ qualify as a carry on? (After all, I do have an Alaska credit card 🤔)

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        As an FYI, what we ended up finding out about in our first Texas Meat-up was DO NOT plan to cook. First of all consider this what it is, a meet and greet vacation. Although you'll have everyone committed to helping with cooking, it will invariably end up being is a hand full of folks doing the actual work while everyone else stands around sipping cold snacks. Just a word of advice, take it or leave it.
        Last edited by Troutman; February 7, 2022, 11:12 AM.

'Not that there's anything wrong with that.'

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha😂😂

I think Richard Chrz needs to get that offset ordered and in the driveway and we can all be his Sous Chef’s and Pit Beaches for a couple days . My daughter has had to make a few visits to Mayo in Rochester (and no I didn’t setup a GoFundMe before I joined and ask for donations) and I’ve thought about PM’ing him a couple times to hang out since I’d be even closer there. I would love to sling logs for Richard and would happily take orders for a day or three from someone that has mastered so many cooking crafts in such a short time. Shirley or LSG should just send this dude a pit for the hands on exposure a Meat-Up in his driveway would provide. Not that I have an opinion on where we should hang out in LaCrosse, WI .

Comment

• tmaan235
        tmaan235 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr Bones, I am of the opinion that any musical instrument that you play, not even well, would be not only required but welcome in a meeting like that. Wish I could play Or at least that is my opinion...

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        tmaan235 , I not only could drag along a musical instrument, or mebbe 3-4, but also a wee lil bitta knowledge on cookin on an Offset cooker, might could be...hopin Richard will fill me in, on th rest, upon arrival...

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Pit Beaches, lol

If the timing works out, I'd definitely swing up to La Crosse for the weekend. Grabbing FireMan on the way out of town should be easy. I'll just kidnap him before he's had any coffee, and by the time he wakes up, we'll be there. Once we get a few wibs in him he should be fine.

As for where in La Crosse to do the meet-up, I'd leave that up to you.

Comment

This is only 2 1/2 hours from me so I am more than down. I can bring over my camping trailer. It has, basically, an outdoor kitchen that rolls out. So if we wanna cook, I can set up the awning, the kitchen etc. I can also bring my KBQ and PBCs if need be. And plenty of wood for all parties.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm, interesting, might be something we should discuss over a glass of wine...

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike Richard Chrz Some say that SF sourdough is simply natural leavening gone bad (sour.) The concept of Seattle sourdough was only a tourist trap imitation of the SF levain gone bad.
          We do have a number of good artisan bakers, who make 'good' sourdough, such as Essential Baking, Grand Central, Macrina, Sea Wolf, Tall Grass, Columbia City. While I can't taste Richard's loaves through the internet (stupid internet!), I suspect he's right there with the best of them.

• tmaan235
          tmaan235 commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker, you're showing off and I like it !!!

Richard Chrz Hey Richard, lookey here, this thing’s beginning to take off! You’re already getting lots of folks interested in less than a day. This is how it works my man! You throw it out there, see who bites, and pretty soon you got one after another offering to bring this, cook that, etc. Tossing around ideas on where to stay….what to cook. Your cabins idea, sounds like a great place. Have everyone over to your place to cook…hell yeah! If ya got the room go for it. How far are those cabins you’re looking into from your house?

Comment

La Crosse is a great town! Just remember that Minnesota, Wisconsin & Michigan have different deer huntin seasons if yer considering November.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Does that mean we all need to wear florescent orange vests in Richard's driveway?🎯

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ummm, wouldn't hurt because of so close to Minnesota, (they're kind of crazy, have many friends there), just saying

I’m considering spring, like May

Comment

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            Late May, better weather chances. But the peeps that are driving can bring easy ups if it goes to crap.
            Been to an event that easy ups made it happen even though the weather didn't agree...

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Late May works for me, mid-May works better. But it's not about me. If we really want to get this planned, please PM me and let's get this set up. I am 80-90% sure I can do this. I am not 100%.

If the timing works out I am all over a meat up in LaCrosse, beautiful area, and close to Milwaukee going to the Memphis meat up in the spring also.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's put in a vote for Madison or something further east!

A midwest meetup sounds great. I don't think with 3 kids in diapers the wife is letting me out of the house anytime soon. I'm lucky to get out to the Blackstone and cook breakfast on the weekends. Maybe I can attened virtually - Microsoft Teams.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            mrteddyprincess Yes, you blink, then you're the one in diapers, and it's your kids telling the gang why they can't come to the meat-up!

• Black99vette
            Black99vette commented
            Editing a comment
            Yah, that's the joke around here. I'll stop buying kids diapers and start buying adult ones!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Black99vette I saw your comment from today, and re-read your original post from Oct 4. I had an epiphany regarding 'Microsoft Teams' = 'Microsoft Meats'! They are making software that will let you not only watch the next MeatUp, but taste it as well. Even with three little ones in diapers!

Any progress on this? I am interested, especially if I can pick up FireMan on the way. I would take the car ferry (SS Badger) from Ludington MI across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc WI, the wife & I have always wanted to do this anyway, been looking for a good reason. (and a tax-deductible reason fits the bill!). Trouble is, La Crosse is 4hrs from there. Not impossible, but if a further east city is an option I am all ears. I can also bring whatever cooker(s) will fit in my truck under the tonneau. Not that I want to cook. I want to sit and sip and laugh. Fireman knows how I roll.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw Generous, absolutely. the "great cook", you’re throwing that word "great" around a bit loosely. We could all go down to our city’s soup kitchen and then help make and serve the free community thanksgiving dinner,

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones, yer just a little too far west and south for Milwaukee from where I am. But if I was going through your area, you wouldn't need a thumb
            Richard, if this happens I'm all about spending a day at the local soup kitchen to serve...
            Huskee, don't know your itinerary but once you get past the cheddar curtain and are actually in Wisconsin if your travels cause you to hotel in milawaukee, look me up, I can be a good guide for local entertainment and a few home brewed bbq joints.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            tmaan235. Thank you for your generosity of offering to help at such a thing. I was however referring to the Midwest meat up being at my house on Thanksgiving, but, it would be cool to cook a bbq for a shelter, I’m hoping to do one myself this winter, for one of our warming centers,

La Crosse? Geeze, I'm just over an hour from there. Nice town -- all the amenities without being a big city.

Several breweries in town -- Pearl Street Brewery, City Brewery, 608 Brewery, and others. The La Crosse Distilling Co makes rye whiskey, gin, and vodka.

Harmony, MN, about an hour away has Harmony Distilling and a super little eatery called Estelle's. Hillsboro WI is not far away from LaX and is tucked away in one of the prettiest regions of Wisconsin. Hillsboro has the Hillsboro Brewery with some excellent brews and there's a nice cheese store within walking distance of the brewery.
          Last edited by IowaGirl; November 18, 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            There was a time LC sported more bars per capita then anywhere. And, yes the town got its name after the sport.
            Last edited by FireMan; November 18, 2021, 09:20 AM.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been told that most states around Wisconsin have about 2500 liquor licenses per state. Supposedly Wisconsin has over 13,000 licenses. There are LOTS of little "one horse" taverns out in the middle of Nowhere Wisconsin.

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            Why am I not surprised.
            It's well known in Wisconsin that when you get north of HWY 8 if you get pulled over and do not have an open intoxicant, it is a $10 ticket....
            Viva Wisconsin!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here