Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tejas Choclate + BBQ…Our Mini Meat-Up Today Was A Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tejas Choclate + BBQ…Our Mini Meat-Up Today Was A Winner!

Well, I’m finally able to walk in a straight line, instead of waddling like a duck. I’m in a BBQ coma right now. Troutman 58limited and myself had a little meat up this morning at Tejas Chocolate + BBQ in Tomball, Tex., just a little north of Houston. Steve and I only had about a 35-40 minute drive from our respective homes. David (58 limited) had about a 2 hour drive though, one way. Personally, I would drive way more than 2 hours one way, to eat the quality of food we had today! I arrived at 10:15, they open at 11:00 am. I was very surprised to be the only one there, as I was expecting a line of people. One other person walked up soon after my arrival, walked to the porch and grabbed a rectangular shaped placard hanging from a nail on the wall. I asked him what that was all about.

THE GOLDEN TICKET - He explained to me you grab one of the, 20 only, "Golden Tickets", which are all numbered 1-20. They put these out early in the morning, so the first 20 people who grab one are assured to be one of the first in line, according to your number on the ticket. But…you HAVE to be back there by 11:00 am to have your number called. So, if you arrived at, let’s say 9am, you can grab a ticket and leave if you want. Each ticket is good for up to 6 people in your group. I like that idea! I grabbed one at 10:15 and was number 9. This ticket also ensured you’d have burnt ends if you wanted them. Steve and David both arrived about 10:30 so we had time to chat and catch up with each other. We also spent most of that time bad mouthing all the other Pit members. 😂🤣 Just Kidding CaptainMike was the only one we disparaged.

Talk about a great atmosphere! This place is an old house on blocks with wood floors and plenty of cold A/C inside. There were lots of shade trees and picnic tables to sit at, while waiting to get in. There was a large cold air blower on the front porch along with a large cooler of FREE ice cold Lone Star Beer. They also had cold water available while you wait.

​Once our number was called we went inside and waited in line to place our order. As some of you might recall, Tejas made #6 on Texas Monthly’s Top 50 BBQ Restaurants In Texas list a few years ago, deservedly so. And the sides I would expect are part of that reason, as well as the BBQ.

​ ​
    The prices were also reasonable, IMO, for the quality of the food and the size of the servings.

​
    I also wanted to mention how friendly everyone was! The groups of people in line we chatted up, as well as the employees. This restaurant staff was some of the nicest and most helpful I’ve ever encountered. Everyone was smiling and very friendly, not afraid to talk or help explain things to you. I actually walked up to the serving alley and asked one of the owners about ingredients in their Chili Relleno Sausage. The man was busy cutting meat and without missing a beat, looked at me and smiled and explained to me the ingredients. He was busy as hell and took the time to speak with me. Impressive. Ok, enough, Food Time! Click image for larger version  Name:	1031CAB0-48C6-436E-88ED-E562D1C1231A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	1062011
    ABOVE: I ordered a1/2 lb of brisket point, a 1/2 slab of pork ribs, 2 of the Chili Relleno Sausages, Burnt Ends and Bacon Coleslaw for a side. I wanted plenty to take home with me for later. The bacon coleslaw was an absolute winner! I’ve never had coleslaw like this, with bits of bacon and a slight vinegary taste, instead of Mayo. Loved it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BFE9B15C-3B2A-4982-B484-AFD52C828518.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	1062012
    ABOVE: Burnt Ends: Which were fabulous by the way, tender with a nice bark and a smoke flavor!

Click image for larger version  Name:	B0460861-3FA2-47C5-A2B3-12D267BF3FB2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1062013
    The pork ribs were perfectly cooked as was my brisket, moist, plastic fork tender and just the right amount of smoke flavor also. Probably in the top 4 or 5 briskets I’ve had. Now….let me tell you about that sausage! You can order 2 types, a Kielbasa style or their Chili Relleno sausage which is what I had. OMG! That was probably the, never mind….it WAS the best tasting, flavor explosion of sausage I’ve ever had! The owner explained to me it was an all beef sausage infused with poblano peppers and pepper jack cheese. I also detected a bit of Cumin, if I’m not mistaken, a good thing as I love Cumin. If you go, this is a do not miss!

Click image for larger version  Name:	48B4AC60-6916-4F06-AC6E-424C6CA16C49.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.62 MB ID:	1062014
    ABOVE: Steve’s plate he ordered. I’ll let him chime in later with his thoughts. They should be similar to mine, but he ordered a few different items than me. Click image for larger version  Name:	59D5EA65-8454-49A6-A629-9AD8479808CE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	653.2 KB ID:	1062015
    ABOVE: David’s plate. We all agreed on that sausage and brisket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6A39A607-25D3-4128-AEB7-FBCEE67AFFBF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.93 MB ID:	1062016Click image for larger version  Name:	5F69F554-7A39-4ED2-ACA4-878870D71EFB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	1062017
    How’d ya like to have a couple of these in your backyard? Burning post oak wood.

One of their Pitmaster’s at work….another one of their smokers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D0B2B139-0CC9-491D-9760-9F6F48BBEE22.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.18 MB ID:	1062018

All in all this was a great time and experience for us. The weather cooperated and it actually wasn’t too hot, we sat under the trees before eating and had a nice breeze. There was also a large concrete parking lot right across the street. I had to walk maybe 150 feet to their front door. None of us had eaten at Tejas before and we were not disappointed! I can assure you, it’s a must visit place if you’re ever in Houston. 👍👍
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 18, 2021, 05:03 AM.

Sorry I couldn't make it today, looks outstanding. Especially that CR sausage, might have to try makin' sum o' dat.....

BTW, you must have broken the selfie taker as it's not showing...

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      How many pictures are showing for you? I show 12 total

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      First 4 show as a broken link

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, pics are AWOL, early on...

What happened to our mug shots? The barbecue was excellent overall. The sides were also surprisingly good. They had a carrot soufflé that tasted just like sweet potato pie !!

Brisket = A+
    Burnt Ends = A+
    Pork Ribs = B+
    Pork Belly = A-
    Chili Rellenos Sausage = A++

Its amazing how craft bbq in Texas keeps proliferating and exceeding expectations. Tejas Chocolate did not disappoint, it’s in my top 10 for sure. Hell even the chocolate was outstanding!!!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the group picture the only one not showing? I posted 12 photos.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 17, 2021, 05:05 PM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess, the food shots and smokers are all there.

Great writeup. but the first 4 photos are not showing.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron. How do I fix this without rewriting it all? I see all 12 pics here on my iPad. But when I go to "edit" , it shows 8. How do I add the pics in the same spot I need?

EDIT: I just added the missing 4 pics. They should be showing up at the very bottom.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 17, 2021, 05:29 PM.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Your reload worked, your ugly mug is now up.......................can you undo your fix?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I just put the cursor where I want the photo to be and hit "insert". I haven't had to go back andput a photo in the middle of an edit though...

Awesome write up and thanks for the mention!! There's no such thing as bad publicity. This looks like a fantastic BBQ joint and that CR sausage sounds outstanding. Great pic of the 3 Amigos and I wish I could have joined ya'll to round out the foursome! It was fun talking to you guys on the phone this morning, I hope you enjoyed the surprise call. And speaking of surprises, I'm sure you're always surprised when someone takes the time to talk to you!

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, when we saw "Captain Mike" on my caller ID, I started not to answer, but David and Steve said, aw John, go ahead and answer it. He’s probably just lonely.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 17, 2021, 05:54 PM.

Dudes....yer killin me!!!!

Comment

I wish I could have made it. Wednesday I went Meshack’s in Garland, Texas only to discover that the 72 year old Pitmaster had to cut back his 5 days a week schedule to Thursday through Saturday. A few years ago he was rated # 6 in Dallas. Oh well, with my daughter moving to the Houston area I just might make one of those Meat Ups.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 17, 2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Panhead John Be sure to email this to Tejas !!!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Already did, shortly after I finished it.

That looks really good!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          It was!

I ordered 1/2 lb brisket, 1/2 slab ribs, 1/2 lb pork belly, 1/4 lb turkey, 1 kielbasa link, 1 chili relleno link, and 1/4 lb burnt ends. I ordered brisket point but they threw in a couple of slices of the flat. The flat is some of the best brisket flat I've ever had. The ribs were very good but mine were slightly tough. The burnt ends were tender, flavorful, and fatty - brisket heaven. The pork belly was good an tender too. The turkey was good but 1701's turkey is still my favorite. The kielbasa was good and juicy but the chili relleno sausage is killer, equal to or maybe better than the pico de gallo sausage from Brett's Backyard in Rockdale. As John and Steve said - you have got to get this. I'll be eating on all of this for the next several days. I also got a four pack of the chocolate truffles - hey, can't go to a chocolate factory and not get chocolate. They are very good as well.

Glad I drove over, definitely one of the top places in Texas.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn, you needed me riding shotgun!

So great that you all could get together so soon after the last event, and eat at another BBQ treasure. Thanks for the write-up and sharing your adventures with us.

Comment

If I hadn't had to stay up to 4 am doing something for work, I was seriously considering making the trek. (And sheepishly...it's only 72 miles from my house....just a little over an hours' drive.)

Wow that BBQ looks good.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish you could have made it too Michael. But…I gotta admit, I’m getting a little tired of your job interfering with our partying. Should I make a call to your boss? I’ll straighten things out with him. And after my little talk I have with him, you’ll probably get a raise, as well as more time off.

Wish I lived closer.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Not me. Glad you’re where you are. 😂

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John I’ll keep that in mind. Chinette will appreciate me coming back.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            glitchy Good one! 😂

Panhead John You did a great job on the write-up but left out one thing in the photos. Which one is Moe?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm Curley. Moe is that short little feller that needed the sign to hold him up

So, this BBQ is good the second day. Reheated some ribs and burnt ends for breakfast but the cold pork belly right out of the fridge was great.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m gonna save mine for dinner tonight. Then post it on SUWYC and pass it off as my own. 😂

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John What little trust I still had in you just flew out the window.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here