Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you are a member you must log in now. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Californian in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Affordable and plentiful air conditioning is perhaps the biggest reason for relocating to Texas.
    Darned heat can be oppressive there, I’m sure some of the more seasoned Texans remember no A/C just some old rattle trap fan on the mantle.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Dang, that looks awesome!!!

• BBQPhil
    replied
    That Boy Good in Oceanside was really good for baby backs the one time I tried it: https://thatboygoodbbq.com

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, Mexican beef, in Mexico, is awesome. I don't know what they do to it, and probably don't want to know, but we can't get carne asada or any other beef dish in the States quite like we can in Mexico.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Let's see, Dave's, Applebee's, and Outback. BION, before he closed down due to lack of employees our local butcher shop in the metropolis of Weed did a pretty dang good brisket every Saturday. He was equally good with butts and ribs and such. Even smoked the tri tips before searing off. Some straight up gen-yoo-wine BBQ. Dude is a total foodie and had some outstanding products. I miss his shop dearly.

• BBQPhil
    replied
    When you're back let's all do a BBQ tour of San Diego. That should just take a couple of hours.

Leave a comment:

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    But living in SD, you can just go to Mexico if you want REALLY real Mexican food. And I do so regularly.

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    That was an anti-Tex-Mex comment, not an anti-NoCal comment

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    We actually have 3 pretty good Mexican restaurants up here. One place makes chilaquiles as good or better than I've had in Mexico. Another one makes an awesome birria. No menudo though, which is too bad. We don't have a large Hispanic population and most Gringos aren't into menudo. This one is!! Just not that scald your tongue out stuff, ai, ai, ai!

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    We may have, but it would take a lot more than that to get me out of here. We truly love where we live. I'm watching a financial show right now. They said gas is over 4 dollars a gallon in California. I paid 2.54 in Stephenville, Tx. yesterday.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Oak Smoke I think you have doubled your money by now, at least.

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    We are seeing an up take in people from other states in our area. Most of them can't believe how reasonable the real estate is. When we retired here 3 years ago from north Texas we bought a 3200 square foot mid century ranch with a pool, huge live oak trees, and 2 acres for less than 250K. We have spent quite a bit more making it what we want, but it was a nice place from the start. It's just another reason to give out area a look.

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    BTW... at least SD has real Mexican food.

• wcpreston
    commented on 's reply
    I confused you w/another member who DOES live in San Diego. (@BBQPhil)

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Iirc, he lives well north of San Diego...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes

Spotlight

These are not paid ads, they are a curated selection of products we love.

All of the products below have been tested and are highly recommended. Click here to read more about our review process.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our “buy now” links. This has zero impact on the price you pay but helps support the site.

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It’s among the best bargains for a smoker in the world. This baby cooks circles around cheap offset smokers because temperature control is so much easier. Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado. Click here for our article on this exciting cooker.

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet’s Dual Tube Burners

3 burner gas grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood including dual-tube burners that are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. Click here to read our complete review.

Big. Bold. Flavor.

Meathead's Amazing rubs and sauce

Introduce big, bold flavor to your BBQ and grilling creations thanks to the Meathead’s Amazing line of pork, red meat, and poultry rubs as well as a KC-style BBQ sauce. Click here to read more and to purchase.