Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Up In Texas - Very Few Arrests, So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone that went, also loved Brett’s Backyard BBQ. Everything we had was excellent, some of the best anywhere.
    Attached Files

Comment

We all kinda split up and went to different places Saturday. The early risers went to Snow's.CaptainMike and I went to Louie Mueller's in Taylor while everyone else went to Brett's.

We arrived at Louie Mueller's just as they opened and the wait was maybe 20 minutes or so but they served brisket kolaches to everyone in line so that held the hunger at bay until we got our order. We both basically ordered a sampler plate: I got brisket, ribs, and turkey. IIRC Mike got brisket, ribs, sausage, and mac 'n cheese (please correct me if I'm wrong Mike). Everything was excellent.

Afterwards we went on a long winding somewhat unplanned drive through beautiful Central Texas back to Rockdale and Brett's BBQ where we did the same thing - a sampler: I got brisket, ribs, and the pico de gallo sausage along with the jalapeno cream corn and brisket beans. Mike got brisket, ribs, two kinds of sausage (garlic sausage and beef sausage I think - again correct me Mike), and turkey. Again all was excellent.

Along with the Snow's and 1701 briskets I shared, the group got to try 3 different Central Texas briskets Saturday (me and Mike got to try 4 since we went to Taylor - neener neener).

I had leftovers from both places which I had for lunch on Sunday and finally finished for lunch today. Now to tackle the left over Snow's and 1701 briskets....
      Last edited by 58limited; June 7, 2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• TxF
        TxF commented
        Editing a comment
        Hold up on the "we each ordered a sampler plate," those are $129 and you would have brought lots leftovers back to Rockdale.

Continue on with the story.
        Last edited by TxF; June 7, 2021, 06:21 PM.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        You nailed it David, except Troutman and I hit Kreuz's and Black's in Lockhart on Sunday so make it 6 briskets for me. I would say that's a neener neener X 1.5! That was a hoot of trip, thanks again for dragging me along!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Can honestly say that I've pierced away $129.00 on worse pursuits, however frivolous, an un related...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 7, 2021, 10:41 PM.

[Eating BBQ or seeing a cooker makes me want to BBQ. So, this evening it was Chicken Shawarma on a spike on my BGE MiniMax. Not as good as a rotisserie, but certainly worth doing with Pitas and grilled Japanese eggplant. Unfortunately when we arrived home to start the cook our cabinet had fallen off the wall. Whoever installed it failed to screw through the wood only screwing through the backboard. So, we had to abandon making the cucumber sauce.
      Attached Files

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John No, this where I intended it. It is just the result of me eating BBQ and seeing the Webers cooking steaks.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem, just checking. Man, that’s a shame about your cabinet. Food looks great.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Phantastique! Mon Cher!

Looks Good Good Big-Time, now, Son!

Copy yer last.
      Gravity.

I hate it too, But It Is 'Th Law', Mon Cher!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 7, 2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

are you sure yo were there Panhead John? You did say no arrests were made!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m on parole. Had to be on my best behavior.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I was his PO and he was an angel.

This was my brisket from Franklin's today. Perfection.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Great pic! That looks 👍👍👍

Meat Up In Texas….My Final Thoughts and Impressions

I’d like to extend my sincere thanks to everyone who was able to attend and make this such an enjoyable, fun and gastronomically fulfilling weekend. I’ve been so impressed with the friendliness and generosity of everyone who attended, though being AR members, I wasn’t really surprised. I know there were many more who wanted to make it, but weren't able to. To those of you who couldn’t make it, don’t worry, another one is coming soon, mid to late October. Everyone who attended definitely wanted to do this again, as well as many who wanted to, but couldn’t.

We are truly blessed here in Texas with such an abundance of great BBQ Joints. Think about it, we stayed in Rockdale, originally to go to Snows, or somewhere else. 3/4 of a mile down from our rooms we stayed at, was an outstanding place called Brett’s Backyard BBQ. I mean, we actually stumbled upon this place by accident! I’m ready to go back anytime, even this October.

We have a lot of members here who want to try Texas BBQ but don’t live nearby. And of course, those of us who live here always want to try different places. Troutman 58limited and Loren Uncle Bob CaptainMike as well as others this weekend, have discussed doing this Semi - Annually. I’ll be starting a new post one day about the Texas Meat Up - Fall Edition. In the post we’ll ask for possible dates, locations, restaurants to try, hotels, etc. We need all opinions to make this as accommodating as possible for all the members who can attend.

For members in other areas of the country, where Texas would be too far, man, start your own Meat Ups! This kind of thing was more fun than I imagined. Highly recommended!

P.S. klflowers If you don’t make it in October….you ain’t got a hair on your ass!
        Last edited by Panhead John; June 9, 2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Clark Had a brain fart……again. It’s corrected now.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I disagree with Clark in one sense. You can use either bi-annual or semi-annual to mean twice a year. Bi-annual can also be used in context to every two years. Likewise biennial can also be used to indicate every two years. Welcome to the English language, always clear as mud.

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          Only in American English. It's a lot clearer in British English.

Learn something new everyday Troutman You’re correct.

Biannually vs semi annually. Enhance your writing by learning the difference between biannual and semiannual. Semi-annually vs bi-annually.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Panhead John; June 9, 2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

A little late arriving news; a friend of ours runs a doggy rescue operation at his spread, good hearted folk. I hadn't known of this connection, but he posted up a pic of Brett (Brett's Backyard BBQ, Rockdale) with Colt, one of the pups he saved. Might be one of the best fed doggies in Texas...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bretts backyard.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1064525

Comment

Damn, Captain Mike..... Rockdale, Texas is a long ways from School St. in Ukiah, CA where I met you at Bill and Patty's.... Good Job! It truly sounds like you all had a great time at the Texas Meat-up......

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a fun trip, Warren, I will do it again. Sadly, they're both gone now and I miss them every day.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here