Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Up In Texas For Snow’s BBQ - Come One, Come All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panhead John Will Okies be allowed to join in if we don't mention this year's football or basketball seasons?

Comment

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited Thinking about it. Wife's mother is turning 96 on June 6th and there is a party planned for her in Mississippi. I'd rather go to Rockdale so I'm 50/50 right now.

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited After discussing with my wife, I decided that it would be best if I attend the MIL's 96th birthday party in Mississippi instead. Wish I could join you all but family first.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand. Have a good time.

Another option for Snow's is that we go ahead and get an order together, a few of us can go at 7am, order for the group when they open at 8, and grab a couple of tables. That way not everyone has be there early - those not staying the night before for example. We can hang out for a few hours.

I probably need to contact them first before we decide.
    Last edited by 58limited; April 29, 2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I was thinking. We should have a tentative head count, including spouses, by then.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope Troutman stays with us at The Rainbow. That way everyone can see me drink him under the table. 😝

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Drinking used to be my thing but I traded it in for a recliner and a 70” flat screen. Now if it’s a snoring contest you want, then put your brisket where your mouth is...pilgrim

I’d love to go to Snow’s. Wish it wasn’t 900 miles away. For anyone that doesn’t know the details about Tootsie, there an awesome documentary on Netflix Chef’s Table about her and Snow’s.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d really like to meet you glitchy Can’t believe you’re gonna let a measly little 900 miles stop you.

Well, I just found out a little bit of news to share. The owner of The Rainbow Courts mentioned to me yesterday about a place in town (Rockdale) that had really great BBQ. He said it came in second to Snow’s BBQ and ahead of Franklin’s. Something about Texas Monthly top 50. Well I was kind of skeptical of that so I did a little digging around, I’d never heard of this place. I just recently paid for a year’s subscription to Texas Monthly online. This is what I found. It turned out to be a Texas Monthly Reader’s Poll of the best BBQ Joints in Texas. I’m only mentioning this because it could be a possible backup or an addition to Snow’s. Even though it’s a Reader’s Poll, it’s probably pretty darn good. It could be a place to try in town, it’s around the corner from The Rainbow Courts. They also made a Top 25 New BBQ Joints list, by Texas Monthly themselves. It’s called Brett’s Backyard BBQ.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/sno...hoice-bracket/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/bbq/article/The-return-of-small-town-barbecue-14373375.php#photo-18149306
    Last edited by Panhead John; April 29, 2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Its Rockdale...put down the MadDog and proof read PJ.

The proprietors of Rainbow Courts also told me about Brett's. I'm going while I'm there. And while everyone is in a BBQ coma after Snow's I might skate over to Louie Mueller's for a few supplies - for later.
      Last edited by 58limited; April 29, 2021, 04:46 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Changed it. And I’m not drinking Mad Dog...it’s Everclear and Kool-Aid.
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 29, 2021, 05:08 PM.

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John we made a quick stop there a couple years ago. Definitely have been wanting to go back.looks like it’s grown considerably.
      Last edited by Texas Larry; April 29, 2021, 06:23 PM.

+1 on Brett’s Backyard

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Curious there Larry, you know anything about Brett’s? Or just liked the article?

I may be the lone wolf on this kind of thinking, but I'd prioritize the choice of a venue that supports the gathering of online friends to become better acquainted in person over whether it's at a "celebrity" joint that might be less, let's call it, user friendly. Maybe a well regarded joint that has a catering truck/trailer that would join us at a very nice park like setting that offers comfort and an easy pace.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; April 29, 2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John : My Job doesn't calculatate th summat as yerself, considerin "NOTICE"

Promise to do th Very Best I Can: Hopin to gently 'Con' my Beloved Son into this TX whoop-dee-doo...that don't work, I ain't a gonna be there...

Really would like to be there, with alla yall, but we'll see how it goes...

Time constraints make it Highly Unlikely, leave us say...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2021, 08:39 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha. Offer still stands if ya can make it. 👍

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mr. Bones, just tell that kid of yours to leave the bean cans at home.

Count me in. What time

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      We are still hashing out the details but pretty early to avoid the long line.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      fracmeister Were you gonna get a room somewhere or come for the day?

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      It's less than 2 hours from my place. If we are going early I will go see my daughter and 2/10 grandchildren in Austin on the way home. BTW, we did a big takeout order from Franklin's and our wait was maybe 30 minutes (scheduled pickup). FYI

I am sooo jealous....
    Everyone please drive safe, someone will grab you a plate if your running late.
    Last edited by smokin fool; April 29, 2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Man I want to attend. But I am leaving for the Carolinas on Monday to visit some friends and to a bbq tour on my own. Planning on about 10-14 days. Texas in June too? Hmmm. Nothing stopping me actually. I need to ponder this. Would need to sell it to the wifey. 🤔

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Would love to have you along.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 Cmon guys! We might not get many more chances for y’all to meet me. 😂

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, Panhead John , that there, sho nuff is some purty Serious Incentive, LOL!!!

I still think Snow’s is a long shot. We need a backup plan. Louie Mueller, Micklethwaits, tons of other options. But I’ll remain optimistic.
      Last edited by Troutman; April 29, 2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m open to whatever we decide. As long as we give Snow’s a chance. I’d at least like to say I’ve eaten at the best joint in Texas. (besides my place)

Dang, we have a s-load of miles banked and my 60th birthday is right around then, I might have to run this past the Director of Finance. Also, I wonder if texastweeter and his dad might be interested in this, I think they live in Hill Country.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm guessing Austin would be the best flight destination and rental car it to Rockdale, yes?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Feck!!! If'n even th Cap'n's gonna make this, I needs to squeeze me some lemons, move th moon, etc., to be there!

Yup!
        We could even tentatively name it Fireman's (hopefully) LAST Yeehaw 1 lol :P

(Of course, it'd be a teensy bit Morbid, if'n he croaked, right in th dang middle of this whole sheebang, which would be bout apropos fer his Drama-Cravin arse lol
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2021, 08:41 PM.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones I'll have you know that between medical catastrophes I am a very robust man! In fact, I tell my wife that I'm basically indestructible. It's just really hard and really expensive!
        Last edited by CaptainMike; April 29, 2021, 09:45 PM.

Yes sir. Just checked and it’s a 1 hour and 7 minute drive to Rockdale from Austin.
      Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm on it! See, I told you I was sucker for peer pressure! Guess I'll have to start working on my y'all's an whatnot...
        Last edited by CaptainMike; April 29, 2021, 07:36 PM.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t forget your "fixing to" and "I heard that!" " howdy" etc.
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 29, 2021, 07:46 PM.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Be glad to offer up some pointers...

CaptainMike
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 1, 2021, 12:35 PM.

Just a little more info. here. When I spoke to the owner of The Rainbow Courts, he said that if anyone wants to check in earlier than the usual 3:00 check in time, call the morning of arrival, and if no one has stayed there the night before, you can check in anytime after 9 am. Or if someone has stayed there, they will try to accommodate an earlier time for you. They’re very flexible and really nice people, the owner and his wife.
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 29, 2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Crap, just to close to my two girls graduating high school. Otherwise I’d fly down and have fun with ya’ll

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I got me one those red headed Viking Shield Maidens too. They're dang handy in a scrap, but you don't want them after your scalp!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike when Stacy and I were first dating, many moons ago, I asked her if she was red headed because she was Irish or Scottish … she said "no, the Irish and Scots have red hair because of my people" …

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha, that's awesome! I'd love to meet that lady sometime. Better yet, our wives meet each other and they can chat about Valhalla or whatever Vikings chat about, that way we can just smoke cigars, sip bourbon, and tell lies.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; April 30, 2021, 10:26 AM.

This is great. Next thing you know Meathead will be canceling Memphis and redirecting everyone to the new destination!! Think about it, we’re open, no masks when eating, outdoors venue so no distancing. Could this be misconstrued as a mutiny??

I blame Panhead John, he’s the instigator. Who knows this may be a banning affair.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Something tells me PJ is quite used to being blamed for one thing or another. I mean, take a look at how he's pulling this thing together like a high school kegger by the lake on a
          Friday night. Total Eddie Haskell and my kinda guy!
          Last edited by CaptainMike; April 30, 2021, 10:28 AM.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          So whose the Beav and Wally?

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to be a wedding planner. This comes 2nd nature to me. CaptainMike

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here