Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Up In Texas For Snow’s BBQ - Come One, Come All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching this thread and seeing all the smarty pants that are likely attending, I’m trying hard to resist checking ticket prices.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, besides, we need to round out the foursome for dirty limerick hour!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m thinking the best limericks will be after a few 🥃🥃. And we don’t have to worry about any danged ol moderators.

BTW CaptainMike Did you get a room for the weekend at The Rainbow?
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 30, 2021, 08:52 AM.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I shot you a PM, PJ

I'd never heard of Snow's so did some searchin. came across this from few weeks back. looks like you need to line up by 3am if you want a full meal, 6am if you don't need sides. they serve less than 200 head each Saturday. looks darn tasty though. Enjoy it, amigos!

Comment

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman an overnight tailgate actually sounds like fun times. Save the hotel room for sleeping off the meal!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      We could have a panty raid in the parking lot!

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Panhead John

"I Guess You're Gonna Miss The Panty Raid"

So I live one hour away from Snows...and am pretty decent at getting up before 3am (if I may toot my own horn).

I can, if necessary, be the orderer/place holder in line.

Comment

Alright guys! Gonna be fun! This get together is coming together and happening. We should have a really good turnout. Keep em coming. If you need a room, you might go ahead and book it soon. Don’t wanna be left out.
      EDIT: I’M NO LONGER UPDATING THE BOOKINGS HERE.
      So far we have 10 confirmed bookings at The Rainbow Courts....Captain Mike, he’ll be there that Thursday thru Monday. 58 limited will be there Friday - Sunday, at least. wcpreston Friday night, Saturday morning. I’ll be there Friday thru Sunday at least. Might stay till Monday also, gonna play it by ear. Texas Larry and his wife Fri-Sun. Loren is confirmed and also Troutman and more people. If you book a room at The Rainbow, or anywhere else, PLEASE let me know cause we have some groovy plans for Friday. Check this out.

We can use The Rainbow as kind of a "headquarters" / meeting place for anyone who might just come for the day. Here’s the plan:

FRIDAY JUNE 4: 5:00 ......Happy Hour at The Rainbow Courts, outside under the trees. They have tables and chairs for seating. I’ll bring tunes for background music.

7:00 or so....Ribeyes on the grill! Baked potato sides, with all the trimmings. The day before I leave, I can go to Costco and pick up some ribeyes for Friday night. I’ll need to know an exact head count before I go shopping.

58limited has graciously offered to help with the cooking. I have a gas 😱grill on the patio of my room and 58limited was told he’ll have some kind of grill furnished for him. Either way I’m gonna bring my own kettle, charcoal, wood chips and SnS insert for the steaks. Any steaks cooked on gas, we’ll give to glitchy and Clark if they can make it. 🥸

SATURDAY JUNE 5: Meet up at Snow’s. Early morning. Now here’s just a contingency plan if it’s too crowded. Brett’s Backyard BBQ is right there in Rockdale and is supposed to be really good cue also. And great atmosphere and no lines. It came in 2nd place to Snow’s in the Texas Monthly Reader’s Choice as Best BBQ in Texas. I was thinking, PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT, we could use them as a backup if needed. Luckily we have plenty of time to finalize or tweak any plans. I actually spoke on the phone with Captain Mike about this and he really liked the idea of Happy Hour and ribeyes. (He’s a lot nicer on the phone than he is online) 😂
      In case you missed it, here’s a picture of the grounds at The Rainbow.
      Thanks Guys and gals.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Panhead John; May 3, 2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not made plans until I hear the feedback from Snows. That said if things work out I’m happy to pitch in with whatever. What’s the plan on calling? I would try to call today, anyone doing that??

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I just now called Snow’s BBQ. I’m gonna post an update. It’s all good though! 58limited

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I'm there through Monday so a Sunday lunch/early dinner at some other BBQ joint works for me.

In case y'all haven't noticed, I'm keeping a head count in post #7 above. If you plan to come please check and see if your name is listed and let me know if I missed you. Same if you have to back out for some reason.

Comment

The car rental agency I used said all they had left was a white with red leather interior drop top 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brouham with a giant set of longhorns on the grill and a horn that blows Deep in the Heart of Texas. I said cool, that way I can blend in incognito style since people from California can be so stereotyped.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, Capn, I git alla dat, fo sho, Brother!!!!

Still rockin me a pair of Tony Lama's from th mid 70's, though they's bout plumb clean worn tf out, if' ya can imagine that??? ...

Got em second hand, from a thrift store, in th early '90's...

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm more of a Tennie Lama kinda guy now Mr. Bones.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain't thing one wrong with no Tennie Lamas, Brother!

I has a some, x2 pairs; truth be told, I almost never wear em...

Work boots, wail, that's a given

Kit shickers, if/when I even bother to go out ,

Resta th time, bare feets it is, reckon it might be on accounta didn't have me no shoes cept fer school ones, when I was a boychild...

(btw, we'uns walked to/from school, carryin our shoes, an socks, so they didn't git all worn out, which would warrant a good ol fashioned arse-whuppin!)

All right people! Texas Larry has just confirmed his reservations at the Rainbow! Let’s keep it up, before the rooms are gone.
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 30, 2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Where the hell is Uncle Bob ? I guess he’ll be too busy to join us, as he’s writing his eloquent dissertations on the effects of smoke flavor on cold proteins.
          Last edited by Panhead John; April 30, 2021, 08:42 PM.

This is really going good folks, but I need y’all’s opinion on this. As close as he is to Rockdale, I don’t see any good reason why one of our most beloved moderators, Jerod Broussard can’t make it. He doesn’t have a hair on his ass if he can’t join us. I’m thinking maybe we should invite Meat Head and Huskee as well as any of the others. We know they’re busy and all, but still. For the kind of money we pay them, they should make an occasional appearance with us. What do y’all think?
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 30, 2021, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm glad I saw your comment and got a good laugh before you deleted. hehehehhe

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard You’re a sneaky son of a gun.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard You’d be getting off work just in time to join us in line at Snow’s. I’ll buy you a beer if you do.

Just booked the Rainbow Courts last single queen suite for Friday night. Looking forward to meeting you all in person!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Loren Forgot to ask, will it be you alone, or is the wife coming too? Trying to get a head count for the steaks.

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          Wife will be coming with me. Lemme know if I can do anything to help (or bring anything).

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Loren. Appreciate the offer and will let you know.

UPDATE ON TEXAS MEAT-UP It’s all good though! We now have 2 places to choose from on Saturday, for people who might not want to get up at 4am and stand in line. And the other choices are both top notch cue joints. More on that later.

I just called Snow’s BBQ and spoke at length with a guy there. Here’s what I was told. As Troutman mentioned to us, Snow’s might not work for a large group. And it probably won’t. We’ve got about 15 people in our group, so far. No problem though! People who want to eat there still can. Here’s the recent numbers as of last Saturday.

1. Last Saturday at 5am there was 90 people in line. And quickly grew to 150. They open at 8am and serve till sold out.
        2. Snow’s has seating for 60 people
        3. They can serve about 40 people per hour.
        4. Proper etiquette calls for saving a place in line for maybe 1 or 2 people. Not 15.
        5. It’s also recommended the same etiquette if saving a table or tables for people.

Louie Mueller BBQ was ranked #5 in Texas Monthly’s Top 50 list. Many of us Texans have eaten there and can guarantee it’s top notch Texas BBQ, some of the best in the world. And it’s only about 25 minutes from Rockdale. In Rockdale is another top notch joint, Brett’s Backyard BBQ. It’s been recognized by Texas Monthly also. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say, the chance to meet and our friendships formed is more important than where we eat. So we might not all be together for a few hours Saturday morning, no big deal.

So here’s what I think everyone will like, let’s do our Friday night get together as planned, then whoever wants to hit Snow’s Saturday morning can still do so. And the others can choose between Brett’s or Louie Mueller’s. I’m happy with wherever the rest of the group decides. Thoughts everyone?
        Last edited by Panhead John; May 1, 2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the open ended option for this. We can amend our personal preference right up to Saturday morning, though Friday evening would be more polite. Lot's of options.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly! No one has to decide right now. Just make your plans as usual and meat up with us.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll get up for Snow's and buy a brisket to share with everyone if I get in. Not getting there at 4am but will go about 6-6:30am and see what happens. I'm usually up at that time anyway so no big deal for me.

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Snows is good, very good, but I may just sleep in and opt for Bretts. Like you say each can decide that day. I went ahead and made a reservation at the Rainbow, cheap $60 room. They have 5 rooms like that left according to the website.

As to Friday night I told PJ I’d buy a ribeye primal at Costco and dry age it in May and cut steaks to bring as my gift to the group. Keep me abreast of the expected head count, the yield on nice steaks is about 10-12 each. I only ask one thing, someone else does the cooking !! I’m sitting and watching with an adult beverage.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, very generous! Thanks!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          This is getting better and better every time I open this thread! To paraphrase Mr. T, I pity the fool who can't be there.

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, thank you very much for that generous offer!

Oh yea one other thing. I’m staying until Sunday. Haven’t decided yet but I may go have lunch at one of half a dozen choices in the area. I know Capt. is up for it so if anyone wants to extend the weekend then make plans.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman Forgot to ask, will you be alone or with your wife?

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Wife’s not allowed...don’t forget the panty raid !!’n

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll bring some of my best Victoria’s Secret.

BFlynn LA Pork Butt gcdmd Can y'all join us?

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt I added you to the list as a maybe.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure yet, but the way things are shaping up I think I will not try to bring my friends from here in Victoria. I'll do Snow's with them another time.

I'll wait until I see how the group is shaping up to see which option I choose. The final decision on meeting times will have a lot to do with what I decide to do. Since I'll be staying in Victoria Friday I won't be able to go to Rockdale that night.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          gcdmd Can you get a room and come up Saturday morning? Almost all of us are staying till at least Sunday. I’ll give you my cell # and you can call me. I’ll tell you where we are and what we’re doing when you get in town, if you can make it.
          Last edited by Panhead John; May 2, 2021, 01:00 PM.

Super fun!!!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Paul, hot damn where you been brother? Get your butt over here, they can watch the store!!’ I’ll tell you what, you come to this one and we’ll plan a future one at the Rib Shack !!!

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Fella's!!!! I will try! And I love bringing samples!

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          58limited the rebuilding is going, but it all takes a lot of time and energy. I'm tired! But grateful!!!

I’m reposting the website for The Rainbow Courts so any newcomers don’t have to go back and look for it. This is where a lot of us will be staying and where the Friday Night Happy Hour and Ribeye Steak Dinner will be. https://www.rainbowcourts.com/
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here