Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Up In Texas For Snow’s BBQ - Come One, Come All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Up In Texas For Snow’s BBQ - Come One, Come All

Calling all Texans, and beyond. If you’ve been following wcpreston ‘s post, he has confirmed he will be in Lexington, Tex. Friday June 4th thru Sunday the 6th for lunch at Snow’s BBQ on Saturday the 5th. He has invited anyone interested in a Meat Up to join him. Snow’s was rated #1 BBQ spot in Texas a few years ago by Texas Monthly Magazine. This is a great opportunity for some of us who are able to, to get together and meet for the first time. I’m looking forward to it and have already reserved me a room for Friday and Saturday night in nearby Rockdale, Tex. It’s only 15 minutes from Snow’s. I’m going to post a link to this place, if any of you can make it, we should have a lot of fun. I know myself, I’m ready to get out of my damn house!

I found a jewel of a place to stay in Rockdale, if you need accommodations. It’s called The Rainbow Courts. The rates are very reasonable for what you get. They range from $60. to $180. per night. Most rooms are in the $60. - $80. range. This place is very unique. It’s more like a series of Bed and Breakfasts on site, than a hotel. If interested, just check out the link. I spoke to the owner for 20 minutes while booking my room, I think you’ll be impressed with this place.

It is on the short list of motels not just in Texas but across America that offer all those amenities and historic charm. Turning off the bustling Highway 79 or Cameron Ave. into Rainbow Court’s Motel is like stumbling upon your secret oasis. The immediate calm of the central courtyard, where, enchanted amid the lush greenery with the comfortable Adirondack chairs, you are likely to forget you have a hotel room or suite waiting for you.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 1, 2021, 07:25 PM.

Nice. I wish you all a great lunch and day.

Comment

Sounds like fun! I don't think my wife will let me travel to Texas without her, though. She's afraid I won't come back!

Comment

Lemme see what I can do. 3 hours from my place

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          You’re going or I ain’t going 👍

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest C’mon buddy! Get ya a room. Slow down from working so much. We all wanna meet you. I might even share some of my cooking tips with ya.

Seriously thinking about this!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          (Actually, more than seriously thinking about this....)

I can't wait to retire and be able to make spur of the moment road trips. Soon... very, very soon.

Comment

Some important info: Snow's opens at 8 am until sold out. They sell out before noon usually. There is often a long line too. My experience, and its been a few years, is that if we show up 7am-7:15am the line is short or non-existent. However, I've mostly gone in the fall - i.e. - the off season. Not sure how long the line will be in the summer at 7am. I arrived at 9am in May once and there were 150 people in front of me.

Another option is to get a tentative head count of attendees and call in an order in advance, It can be picked up at the pit at either 9 or 10 am. The caveat is that they ask that you don't eat onsite if you do this.

Snow's is open Saturdays only. A livestock auction occurs every Saturday just down the block so parking can be hard to find the later we show up.

I can contact Snow's and let them know who we are and that we are coming and get an idea of what time the line starts to form in the summer. I can also see if they would allow an exception for us to eat at the picnic tables if we decide to do a call in order.

Lets get a tentative head count and take it from there.

So far we tentatively have:

EDIT: I created a separate post for the attendance roster here. I will not update this list anymore.

LA Pork Butt +1

Uncle Bob +1

CaptainMike

fracmeister

Texas Larry + 1

Loren

wcpreston + 1

58limited

Panhead John

Ernest ?

Michael_in_TX

Troutman
          Last edited by 58limited; May 1, 2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG, Ernest and Troutman at the same event at the same time!!! That's some straight up SUWYC Royalty right there! I'll try not to squeal like a fanboy, but I make no guarantees.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Don’t forget about that PJ dude! I’ve seen some incredible burgers and bologna sandwich pics from that guy.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea more like full of bologna

(Ya gotta admit you left yourself open to that one !!)

Be a great road trip if I could get across the border, hopefully one day.

Comment

For anyone interested, here’s a little more info. and a map. It’s 17 miles from Rockdale to Snow’s. It’s a straight shot and only 15 minutes away. This place, The Rainbow Courts, also has several free standing cottages as rooms, no adjoining walls. Some have kitchenettes and a fridge. They also have a large, shady and well maintained grounds. There’s outdoor tables and chairs for get togethers () under the trees if we like. 58limited and myself will be there both Friday and Saturday nights. I’m bringing a Bluetooth speaker with me for some tunes. There’s other hotels in the area, but after researching them, I thought this was the nicest bang for the buck, and the best reviews. The owner, Dan, said you can cancel if needed with 48 hours notice and no charge.
            Most of the rooms are in the $60. - $80. range.

Phone number is 512-446-2361. To skip recorded message dial 0
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Panhead John; April 29, 2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Also we can car pool - less cars to try and park

• Clark
              Clark commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Elgin also has Southside BBQ and delicious brisket, potato salad, and banana pudding.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea 58limited

I’m in if at all possible. Just a heads up though—better plan to come early. We went there for a Saturday "lunch" a while back and found them sold out and locked up.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes sir. They open at 8 am. Lines start at 6am or earlier sometimes, I heard. I hope you can make it Larry!

Good location. If everyone wants to make a mini road trip, we can head to Louie Mueller's in Taylor after Snow's.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Or....back to the room for a nap.😂

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I was going to suggest that too. It’s about an hour or so west of there.

I'll wait to hear what 58limited comes up with at Snow's but I've got to echo his thoughts. This place is tiny in a tiny town. They have a big patio area with lots of seating but they only cook for a Saturday service, which like he says is gone by noon. You literally have to get there at the crack of dawn to avoid being last in line. It's another version of Franklins. Bottom line I'd love to have a meat up there but it may not be practical for a group. But again let's see if they will accommodate us.

I wanna thank you guys for starting the ball rolling on this. Been wanting to do this in Houston for a long time. Believe me there are some excellent choices right here in Htown that are a lot more accommodating. Regardless let's keep the idea alive even if Snows falls out. Here's a sampling with larger venues with larger dining rooms....

Killen's in Pearland....simply awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Killens Entry.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1024337Click image for larger version

Name:	Killens Brisket.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1024338

Pinkerton's A pitmaster who learned from Franklin.

Name:	Pinkertons.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1024340Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinkertons Sampler.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1024339

The Pit Room. Smaller venue but killer 'cue.

Name:	Pit Room 01.jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1024341Click image for larger version

Name:	Pit Room 04.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1024342

Truth. The True Truth.

Name:	Truth 04.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1024343Click image for larger version

Name:	Truth 06.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	1024344

Ronnie Gatlin's. Oh the Ribs !!!

Name:	Gatlin's BBQ.JPG
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1024345Click image for larger version

Name:	Gatlin's Ribs 02.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1024346

There's more but my point is if the Hill Country falls apart I'd like to suggest either Austin or my hometown of Houston. One other thought would be to go to Lockhart. There are 4 venues within that town. Kreuz's and Black's both have large dining areas and relatively short lines. That way you get one of the crown jewels of Hill Country BBQ in one place.

Name:	blacks 03.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1024348Click image for larger version

Name:	blacks 05.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1024347

Either way we go let's make this happen. I'm pretty stoked we're even talking about a Texas meat-up, it's lonnnng overdue !!!!!

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Went to Killen's a few years ago - amazing BBQ! We got there at 9:30am - they open at 11am - and were #20 in line. By 11 am there were at least 300 people behind us! At 10 am they started giving away free beer at their outdoor pavilion. One beer per person at a time.

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              I would be interested in Houston as well; I have only spent one night there for a work related trip. My wife would also like to see Houston too, which makes the trip easy peasey.

• TxF
              TxF commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m going to have to say something here. The Hill Country is definitely west of I35, I would argue that you need to be west of 281 if you are north of San Antonio to be safely in the Hill Country. Just because it is not a rice field does not mean there are hills.

I wish I could be there to Eat Myself Into A Spasm.
            And maybe, just maybe try Lone Star, if not PBR
            Happy you BBQ

Comment

Troutman - I'm excited about this meat-up too. We could make it a quartery or twice a year function at different places.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea there are more BBQ places in Texas then one could visit in a lifetime. In fact you could say the same about Tex-Mex restaurants. And don't get me started on Asian.....

wcpreston is flying in from California for his 10 day BBQ road trip. He has already booked his flight, his stay Friday night at The Rainbow and he invited us to join him at Snow’s for the get together. While a get together in Houston or elsewhere is convenient for us living here, it probably wouldn’t be for him at this point. Any great BBQ place we go to is gonna have a line. I think your ideas would be great, if Snow’s doesn’t work out for some reason.

Edit: The good thing is there are several great BBQ joints nearby...IF Snow’s doesn’t pan out for us, for some reason..... I’d suggest we all go there as planned. Then if it doesn’t work out, we’ll have plenty of time to go elsewhere.
              Last edited by Panhead John; April 29, 2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here