Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

October 2016 Gold Medal Giveaway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    replied
    There are several ways to use AR, and the main differences are how quickly you need to know something and how specific or general your question is.

The AR website is for in depth research. Read and learn, like going to school. It is general information, travels in one direction, and comes from a single point, the AR team. The information isn't time sensitive, and can be considered static.

Dont forget that you can ask specific questions about the information on Amazing Ribs at the bottom of each article. This is like raising your hand in class: it is more specific, and can take the form of questions, clarifications, or feedback. Information travels two ways, between you and the AR team, and is dynamic: it can change depending on circumstances and situations. It is not time sensitive.

There is the AR newsletter email, Smoke Signals. This is news and information, without feedback. Information flows in one direction, and it generally acts as an update for the goings on of AR. Information is static. This is a nice alert for changes and additions to the main site, like the videos, and because it is "push" information you always get it.

You can communicate through the Amazing Ribs Facebook page. This is news and information, and reader feedback. It can be time sensitive, especially if the information is about special events and promotions. Information flows two directions, broadcast from the AR team to the world, and from the world back to the AR team... different from the point to point of the questions, and different from the push notifications of Smoke Signals. Don't overlook the Facebook page, though. Some nice stuff comes through there. The Facebook page is dynamic, in that it is constantly changing. Stuff goes out of date.

If you join The Pitmasters Club, you get access to The Pit. The Pit is networked, point to point, crowd to point, point to crowd, or crowd to crowd, depending on the situation. If you need the specific answer to something that is happening in your back yard RIGHT NOW, this is where you ask the question. If you want to share general knowledge, if you want to just add to the attitude of the crowd, this is where that happens. Information in The Pit flows in all directions, and information in The Pit is ephemeral: every specific question gets asked again eventually. Information in The Pit is highly dynamic, and changes daily. Although general questions do get asked, they still tend to be asked about specific situations; a general "What's the best charcoal grill" question is still really "What's the best charcoal grill for me and my situation?"

You can use any or all all of the channels, and you get full functionality with The Pit. How you use everything is up to you. For myself, I think of my Pit contributions as, "If I can do this, you can do this, too." I'm the kind of cook who thinks waaaaay too hard, and then I take a deep breath and decide that it's just heat and meat, and if I do what the instructions say it should all work out... and anyhow no one can taste the pictures!

Leave a comment:

• Steve_D12
    replied
    Jim Rust Congrats! I would have picked the Green Mountain Grill Pellet Smoker too. I actually thought I had my mind set to buy that as my first cooker until I joined the forums here and saw that the Weber Kettle and Slow n Sear would be a better option for me. Enjoy and congrats again from another new guy!

Leave a comment:

• rototiller78
    commented on 's reply
    I'm w/ ya Spinaker. I'd probably take the Hasty-Bake myself.

• David Parrish
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post

tbob4 - This is a great reply, and echoes many of the things I love about this here forum, in a nutshell. KUDOS!!!

Many (most) forums swat ya' on the nose, or the other end, for askin' simple newbie questions. Yikes!!! WTH needs that?

Here, the members greet you, and quietly spread the newspapers out to cover the floor, cause they know you likely gonna make a mess, or two, least at first.

You'll be so busy, learnin', and readin', an' cookin', that you'll never notice, one day, alla the newspaper is gone.

Shazam!!!

BTW, I'm new here too, and still walkin' on newsprint! Welcome to The Pit!!!!
    This has gotta be one of my most favorite posts here ever.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post

tbob4 - This is a great reply, and echoes many of the things I love about this here forum, in a nutshell. KUDOS!!!

Many (most) forums swat ya' on the nose, or the other end, for askin' simple newbie questions. Yikes!!! WTH needs that?

Here, the members greet you, and quietly spread the newspapers out to cover the floor, cause they know you likely gonna make a mess, or two, least at first.

You'll be so busy, learnin', and readin', an' cookin', that you'll never notice, one day, alla the newspaper is gone.

Shazam!!!

One thing we try really hard to be here is welcoming, supportive, and fun! I've posted a few times on an car forum and every time I post I get someone, usually a mod, saying "that's already been asked, please use the search box that's why it's there"...instead of linking me or just answering me. So frustrating. Who cares! Answer the question, that's why it's a forum! Add a link if it's been discussed before if it helps in the discussion, but that doesn't mean you can't answer just 'cause it's been asked before.

Anyway, we try not to be 'that' forum. We're thrilled that we're succeeding!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
    <SNIP>... and don't worry about being a novice about posting. It took me a long time to post anything and I have zillions of photos of my cooks and cookers. I also have years of experience cooking/smoking. However, I was on the site to learn not to post. I became comfortable asking questions and sharing. I hope you find us all a good group to share with - good cooks and bad.

Shazam!!!

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    I not only want to see pics of the smoker, let's see a pic of the big smile as you take delivery. 2 pics minimum, nothing else will do. Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats Jim. you will love the CyberQ. The PitPal app for your phone allows you to monitor through your phone.

• tbob4
    replied
    I'm glad you received good advice and I think you made a wise decision. The prizes have all of us saying "Darn, I didn't win again." Everyone has different needs and wants. Congrats, again and don't worry about being a novice about posting. It took me a long time to post anything and I have zillions of photos of my cooks and cookers. I also have years of experience cooking/smoking. However, I was on the site to learn not to post. I became comfortable asking questions and sharing. I hope you find us all a good group to share with - good cooks and bad.

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Congrats Jim Rust feel free to ask any questions about your new toy and all the cooks you do. We are all here to help one another.

Leave a comment:

• fuzzydaddy
    replied
    Jim Rust Some pictures of your first cook would be great!

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Stick around Jim Rust! We can't wait to see that new cooker!

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    Jim Rust this place is full of people who are eager and willing to help you out, whether novice or advanced. And there's none of the judgement, superiority, or other nastiness that I find in so many online forums. The place is really great.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Rust
    replied
    I talked to Dave about my pick. I really did not understand what the Cyber Q did. Dave explained it to me. It became clear that it was not applicable for my current smoker. There was no way I could install it into my basic smoker. So I took the opportunity to ask Dave about the pellet smoker which I also liked but did not understand how it worked. After Dave explained it to me it became clear it was the for better choice for me, so I changed my pick to the pellet smoker. As a novice it, it is comforting to know there is help here so I can make better decisions.

are there to help me make better decisions

Leave a comment:

• smokinfatties
    commented on 's reply
    Harry's class is great! Make the trip!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here