Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe Sharing

Please help us restrict the Recipes Only section to Recipes Only. If you want to show off a cook please use Show Us What You’re Cooking https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...tion/show-tell

If you want to discuss a problem you are having or a technique, please use Everything Else Food & Technique https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...astery-program

We all find and want to share great recipes on the internet and in books and elsewhere. You may want to share it verbatim or with your own twists.

We have ZERO problem with you posting a recipe you found elsewhere, with or without your original twists. But ETHICS and fair play DEMANDS you give credit where credit is due. Recipes are often the result of hard work. Sharing them without proper credit is called plagiarism.

Here's what I say:orI use "inspired by" when I add my own twists to a recipe someone else created. Search the free site for "inspired by" and you will find several recipes with proper credit given.

Going beyond ethics, without proper credit, the author might get huffy at us and demand we remove it, or sue. But most publications will forgive plagiarism if you post a link, because links help them with their Google ranking so long as you don't post a lot of copied recipes. One or two is easily overlooked.

Now Google "Memphis Dust" my popular pork rub recipe. Google says there are 16 million hits NONE of which asked for permission and few link back to our site which drives traffic to us and traffic is money.

If you are sharing a recipe please include a list of ingredients, instructions, and a picture. It is very helpful to tell us how many servings it makes and how long it takes.

You don’t need to be formal. A simple recipe could be “Take a 3 pound pork belly, remove the skin, dry brine for 3 hours or more, sprinkle with Meathead’s Memphis Dust, and smoke at 225F until it hits 175F. Freeze, slice, and fry as needed."

The pros on AmazingRibs.com use this standardized format. You do not have to stick to this, but it is a good way to help people cook your recipe correctly.

Name of Recipe (be descriptive because people often search by title)
    Headnote (A description of the dish and important background info and the source)
    Makes (servings)
    Takes (how long for prep and cooking)
    Special tools (if it needs something unusual like a pizza stone)
    Ingredients (usually listed in the order they are used)
    Ingredient notes (substitutions, etc.)
    Method (numbered steps)
    Last edited by Meathead; September 6, 2021, 01:08 PM.

I'm just wondering... is this for original recipes only, or any recipe we would like to share (with credits to the source of course)? I quite often will share the recipe on SUWYC or a link to it as well as what I'm showing off; should I no longer do that and just show pictures there? So confused now.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      easy peasy, jus do what ya was doin, previous, jus do it here...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 10, 2020, 04:34 AM.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question. I will edit the instructions.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I have just added this: ​​​​​​​If you copied a recipe from a book or a website, please give credit where credit is due. If you started with a published recipe and modified it, in the trade we say "inspired by..."

I can't seem to get a few recipes for potato salad

Comment

Eastern NC Style

POTATO SALAD - Goldsboro
    Single. Double recipe
    6 Potatoes 1 3/4# 12 Potatoes
    3 Hard Boiled Eggs 6 Hard Boiled Eggs
    1/2 C Chopped Red Onions 1 C Chopped Red Onions
    1 C Mayo 2 C Mayo
    Salt
    Dill Relish well drained
    Celery Seed
    1. Potatoes in cold water & salt - Cover and bring to boil. Cook until quite tender. Drain
    and let cool.
    2. Peel Potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    3. Coarsely chop eggs and add potatoes. Add rest of ingredients and then toss
    4. Sprinkle with celery seed before serving.
    Mayo is usually Dukes but your favorite will do. However Miracle Whip is never acceptable.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I know this is in response to the above question, but is this also posted in the Recipes Only > Potatoes section?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Not that I know of. It is just the recipe I’ve always used

I am organizing an order from a spice company and I am looking for recommendations for both basic/essential BBQ spices and unique and flavorful BBQ spices from around the world. Is there a "spice cabinet" on the site?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really. You could always browse some of Meathead's rub recipes on the free site to gather a list. Aside from the obvious salt (kosher & table) & pepper I'd suggest some other fairly common players like cumin, cayenne, ground mustard, coriander, rosemary, ginger, mustard seed, paprika, onion, granulated garlic, parsley, & sage.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like for rubs and sauces, I go through a lot of paprika, ground mustard, and onion powder (in addition to the usual salt, pepper, and garlic powder). Seems like I never keep enough brown sugar on hand either.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is everything a cook needs to know about herbs and spices as well as a list of essential herbs and spices to buy, how to store them, substituting dried for fresh, substituting one herb or spice for another, toasting spices, blooming spices, and other preparations that get the most flavor out of them.

Meathead Link immediately above ^^^ No Worky on my puter, Boss.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NoWorky 15JU21.JPG
Views:	824
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1060760

Might be on my end, but thought I should mention it.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Flush yer cache

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead did, previous to my previous response ^, both <F5> an <CTRL+F5>

Have done both, subsequently...still no dice...

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Worky for me, maybe you been banned Bonesy
      Mr. Bones

Mr Bones, Did you try the site in a different browser or on your phone? What browser were you using? I can't tell from the screenshot. Thanks

Big Jim

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Unable to access from Win 10 / Mozilla, as commented, above ^ .

Thanks fer yer assistance, Amigo!

Android OS, workys fine...

So we brought in some high priced hi-tech mechanics, the type of guys who tune up Ferraris, to tune up the site for faster loading and for making Google happy and you can guess what happened next...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Oy, Vey!!! LOL

Yes, I can guess...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 15, 2021, 03:51 PM.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      somewhere back when I invented the internet I remember my high priced software engineers telling me that for every bug we fix we create two, that’s when I bugged out!

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob :: "programming is the art of replacing software bugs with ones that are smaller and harder to find"

Mr Bones can you try the site in another browser for us to see if it works in that one? On our tests it seems localized to Firefox.

Thanks

Big Jim

Comment

The link worked for me in Firefox.

Comment

We made some changes to the site today. If you refresh your browser, it should work now in Firefox. Please let me know if you still have any issues.

Big Jim

Comment

Link Workys now, BigJim
          Thanks!

Comment

Great news! Thanks for the feedback.

Big Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here