Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Things Are Misbehaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Things Are Misbehaving

If things just seem wrong. If pages aren't loading or they're doing goofy things, before we push the panic button and call out the tech wizards, let’s make sure the issue isn’t a confused browser. That is usually the cause of misbehavior. Especially on mobile devices where browsers just aren't as sophisticated as on desktop.

Here's how browsers get befuddled: They have a cache that remembers what a page looks like so if you go visit a page you visited before, rather than getting the page from a distant server, it just shows you the page in its cache. A lot faster, but fraught with hazard. Especially if the page has changed. And worse, sometimes the page is loaded with complex code and the cache jumbles it.

So clearing the cache usually cures problems. And there are several ways to do it. This has the added benefit of speeding up the browser and sometimes it can speed up your entire computer! Also, the cache is often where viruses hide.

Method 1) Let's try the quick and easy fixes first: For for Windows, Ctrl-F5 often works for a single page. On some browsers, typing Ctrl-SHIFT-R or Command-Shift-R works. For Safari on Mac hold down the shift key and click the little reload circular arrow in the url box. You might have to do it more than once, but this seems to work most of the time.

Method 2) Sometimes just quitting your browser dumps the cache for the page if Method 1 fails. Don't just close it, hard quit it by selecting quit from the top menu. If that doesn't work, rebooting the device often throws cold water in your browser's face.

Method 3) If these doesn't work, go to this page and follow the instructions for dumping the entire contents of you cache. IT experts say you should do this every few months anyhow. https://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

Method 4) Sometimes people have ad blockers or virus software installed on their browser, or a firewall installed on their WIFI. Turn them off temporarily.

Method 5) Try another browser. If it works then the first browser’s cache is misbehaving and flush it, as described above.

Method 6) Try another computer or another device (smartphone, tablet, computer). If it works then the problem is probably your browser’s cache needs clearing, as described above.

Method 7) Try logging in with your phone using cell data and not WIFI or go to a Starbucks or a neighbor’s house. On rare occasion the problem is a setting on your internet service provider’s dashboard that causes problem. It his works, turn things off for a few minutes, and try to connect again. If you don’t have a dashboard, contact your service provider and tell them to make an exception for https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com

If none of this works, let us know and we’ll call in the big guns. Contact us here
    https://amazingribs.com/about-us/contact-us
    If you have questions about how the Pitmaster Club works, click here to go to the Help channel which has answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
    Last edited by Meathead; December 20, 2020, 11:39 AM.

Good to know. On it and done it. Thanks, Boss.

Just one small point: Edge has three small dots, not bars.
    Last edited by gcdmd; September 8, 2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I am told there are two edges? Above one says bars the other says dots. Is this not correct?

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Meathead
      I was under the impression that I had the new Edge, and it also has dots. I'll relaunch and see what happens.

Addendum: My desktop icon indicates that it is the new Edge. I re-launched and still have dots Maybe someone with more tech savvy than I have can help out here.
      Last edited by gcdmd; September 8, 2020, 04:13 PM.

It reminded me of a song. But, in this day & age, uh uh! It could be a browser, not to be confused with a bowser.

Comment

Meathead Thanks for the info., but a lot of us use tablets mainly for AR. I use my iPad 99.9% of the time. I’m not a tech geek by any means. Is there anything special we tablet users should do? Besides a shutdown and restart? Thanks

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Delete history, cache, and cookies on an iPad (don't have an apple anything so pay attention to the prompts so you don't clear out your passwords)

To clear your history and cookies, go to Settings > Safari, and tap Clear History and Website Data.

To clear your cookies and keep your history, go to Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data, then tap Remove All Website Data.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

When at first you don't succeed reboot.
      log out--log in works for me.

Comment

Clearing the cache on my IPad just worked for me. Until I cleared it, I couldn’t get to Recent Posts— and many other places.

Comment

Here’s what I’m getting on my iPad when tapping the "Show Us" tab. No access to the current SUWYC. The top link is my original SUWYC so we can make fun of it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Panhead John; November 7, 2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• gregtr1
            gregtr1 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the same thing I'm getting - both before and after clearing my cache. I am using chromium Version 86.0.622.63 of the Microsoft Edge browser on my computer.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I cleared mine as well, nothing changed. I’m sure they’re aware and working on it. Hope they fix it soon....I’ve got a bologna sandwich I wanted to post.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            We are still struggling with that section. But you should now get a new topic for posts for the remainder of the year.

Hi! I joined-up a few weeks ago and haven’t received my magnet cooking guide.

Comment

i do not know what is going on but i can no longer log in on my phone..w
          the 2 times i did in past 3 weeks i could not post anything...do ni need to cancle my membership and start over

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            NO! Do not cancel. You will have to pay the new, higher member rate if you do! Have you tried the above remedies? 99% of these problems are caused by confused browser caches, especially on not-so-smart phones. Start by completely rebooting your phone. Cold. Keep me posted.

Sometime in the past week I started having an issue where about a third of the time I click on a link in the email notification that something has been posted in a thread I'm subscribed to, when I click on it the whole browser crashes. It does not happen if I check the notices in my messages box, does not happen when I click on a link in any other email. I use gmail, browser is Chrome, Windows 11 on a 2 month old Surface Studio Laptop. It does not happen when I use Edge (which I've only used a few times, and it doesn't happen all the time with Chrome either), or any android device.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            If we get multiple complaints, we know it is us. If we get only one complaint we usually blame the browser. This does sound like a browser issue. Often it goes away after completely shutting down a browser or rebooting. If not flushing the cache usually fixes it.

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't deny that it's browser related, because it's my browser that's crashing. Sometimes. It loaded from an email link just fine, then the second time I tried a link it crashed. Went back to the same link, and it loaded. Easy to say, it's me, but the reason I posted is that you don't know if it's affecting more than one if no one is the first person to report it. I'll find a workaround. I just thought you might want to know there might be a conflict with the links you send out & Chrome.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            One issue is that links in emails from newsletters often have tracking code attached and we can't stop it. If you have cookie or javascript blockers or ad blockers that could be the cause. Still no other complaints.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Now, I’ve been hummin & singin & whistlin that song fer 53 1/2 years & maybe a little more even. Know it well. People know me somewhat by that song. They even know that song cuz of me. And, I always tell em who was the originator of that song & then, often times have ta tell em who Arlo is. I have never seen that vid or heard that story, even though he had been tellin it fer some 8 yrs at that time. Thank you very much Bones!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan Well, ah'm always most Honoured to bring ya some pleasantness in yer life, Brother!

A man has to have some kinda reason to continue to exist, don't he???

Has something changed on your end that causes me to have to log in every day I use your site? Because using my desktop computer, I had not been asked to log in since I became a member.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            use this as your bookmark https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/ if it still needs you to log in every time, it's something on your end most likely.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you blocking cookies? Have you turned off javascript?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here