Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oddly specific question about capacity of M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddly specific question about capacity of M1

Hi all, I'm still in analysis paralysis about whether to go with an M1, vs. M36, vs LSG adjustable charcoal grill, or something else. One of my questions is about the capacity of each to handle 2 to 3 turkeys in offset mode -- we usually have large Thanksgiving and other holiday celebrations, and I prefer to cook multiple turkeys in the 14 lb range, rather than one big one.
    So if using the M1 in "offset mode," how many turkeys do you think I could fit, while still getting a quality cook? In particular, do you think there is enough "head room" to fit one on the top rack? I know the charcoal grate can be used as well, but was wondering if they could be staggered on three levels. seems to me the M36 should be able to fit them easily, but I'd rather not spend that much if I don' t need to. These few holiday events are probably the only occasions on which I'd need that much room.

I prefer pellet grill, so my suggestion is Traeger Timberline.

Comment

Tuckmonster ?!

Comment

I'd say two 14 pounders would fit comfortably on the main cooking grate, three would probably be too tight. The upper add-on shelf probably wouldn't work for a turkey. It would be to narrow and I don't think you'd have enough headroom towards the back. That upper shelf runs along the back of the cook chamber where the lid angles down. I could just fit two racks of baby backs that had already been cooking for several hours and had shrunk down. You could fit two more turkeys of that size on the lower (charcoal) grate. My concern here would be that you would need to lower that grate all the way and then the temperature differential between your two cooking surfaces would be 100 degrees or more. You could rotate your birds during the cook but that requires removing the top two birds, then the grates, taking out the bottom birds, etc. Personally, I wouldn't want to do this, too much of a hassle imo.
        Last edited by Tuckmonster; September 11, 2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you, that's really informative and helpful! I take it you are referring to the M1; in which case I'm guess three birds would fit on the main grate of the M36, though I guess that might make it difficult to get the cook chamber up to temp.

Comment

• Tuckmonster
            Tuckmonster commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, M1. I've had one for about three months. Good grill but I'm still learning to use it properly

• Rob whatever
            Rob whatever commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t think doing the birds on the M36 would impact bringing the cooker up to temp. I usually get my M36 to temp before any meat goes on.

Rob

• Primo
            Primo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks to you both. I guess I have to decide whether to spring for the M36, when I will almost never need a grill that size, or save some bucks and use my weber kettle for the rare overflow!

American WWII magazine pouch issued with M1 Carbines in 1943. It holds two 15 round magazines.

Comment

I would also agree that three 14 lb turkey's on the main grate would be pushing it but I doubt it would be a 100 degree difference from the charcoal grate to the main grate if you decide to use the charcoal grate.

Comment

I was seriously considering the M36 as my next purchase. It is super versatile as you can configure it for different types of cooks. However, right now I am leaning towards keeping my Weber 22" kettle and purchasing a dedicated stick burner. It really depends on what you want/need out of your cooker. If you were to consider a straight stick burner you could get a Shirley Fabrication 24"x36" patio model for under $3K. That would give you plenty of room, but you would lose the ability for direct grilling. I'm looking forward to see what you wind up with!

Comment

I think if you spatchcock the Turkey (or split) you could get a 3rd on the top rack

Comment

I did a 16 lb’er spatchcock on the main grate, it took up alot of the main surface. There was room above, might be tight though Click image for larger version

Name:	67C4FDD3-B270-4B5D-82A4-EB071491B482.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1293211
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here