Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New M1 Purchase and Log question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New M1 Purchase and Log question

I ordered my M1 back in early April, hoping it gets here in the next couple of weeks. Website says 4 to 6 weeks for production. I got an email acknowledgement back when I placed the order and nothing since then. I'm going to email them and see if I can get an update.

For those who have this, I had a question about the size of logs to use. I have found a couple sources that sell 16" wood logs. Will these fit in the firebox? Are they a good size or will they burn too hot and need to be cut-down for low-and-slow cooks? I have also seen a place online that sells 8" splits but they are very expensive. It would probably be cheaper to get a splitter or saw and cut down the 16" logs myself if necessary.

For anyone using the M1, what size logs do you use?

Tuckmonster Sorry, I thought you bought an Army surplus rifle.

Comment

M1 is a member. Should have an answer in a bit eh M Grills .
      Last edited by FireMan; May 1, 2021, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Tuckmonster
        Tuckmonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Just got an email from Travis, they are apparently crazy busy. Good to hear that a family owned and operated company is doing so well.

I have a M1 and the interior dimensions of the new fireboxes are 16 3/4". I personally use smaller 8" splits that are not very big around. You don't want to use very large splits or the cooker will get too hot. I would just get the 16" ones and cut them down. You can also experiment with the larger splits to see what temps you get.

When burning wood, you want to leave the vents mostly open and control the temps by the size of your fire.

Comment

• Tuckmonster
        Tuckmonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Very helpful, thank you! I've seen some 8" splits for sale online but very expensive. Most firewood/cooking wood around here comes in 16" logs. What's the best method for paring these down? Do you just chainsaw them in half for 8" logs or will typical logs still be too big around for the M1? I guess I could cut the logs in half for 8" splits and then use a cracker/splitter if they are still too large?

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        I have mostly been using the B&B bagged stuff from Academy sports which is already the size I mentioned. A chainsaw would work or anything that has a wood cutting blade that is big enough to cut through the size logs you get. I have a Kindling Kracker to cut down logs to smaller widths. I personally wouldn't use typical full size round logs because I think your fire would be too big plus I don't think they would start on fire as easy. Look to see if you have anyone local to buy wood from.

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Same with my Shirley Fabrication model. Smaller splits are the way to go. I have the Black & Decker electric Lopper https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...000BANMUY?th=1

It is the safest way to cut your splits in half.

I just saw this otherwise would have replied sooner.

The logs I get are probably about 16" too, maybe a little longer. The full 16" may fit, but will be much too hot for low n slow (~225-250f) IME. I saw them in half crosswise, then I split those halfs in half lengthwise, for quarter splits. I just use a hand saw to saw in half, though obviously an electric chopsaw would be a bit easier: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

A number of members here use the Kindling Cracker to split their logs. It comes in two sizes and here's a link to the smaller one:

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          A number of members here use the Kindling Cracker to split their logs. It comes in two sizes and here's a link to the smaller one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Kindling-Cr...s%2C160&sr=8-3
          I have that too and like it.

I also now use the black and decker alligator lopper for the crosswise cuts, much easier than a hand saw. The battery operated has plenty of juice for the amount of logs the M1 goes through.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here