Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yoder offset stick burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yoder offset stick burners

Hi...just curious on how much time is involved with a offset when doing long cooks?do you have to add wood once an hour?every 2? or 4? thanks cookin jack

just found answer at yoders site.....about every hour it needs tending.......sorry

Comment

This is more of a grill/smoker question so we've moved the topic.

Comment

Huskee has a Yoder stickburner I'm sure he will chime in on this topic when he gets the time.

Comment

Add one piece about every 30-60 mins, but that depends on what wood you're using. Oak is one of the best for longevity, you'll prob get an hour per piece depending on weather.

Comment

so if you are doing a briskit you will be up all night?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I'll get up about 3:30-4am for a brisket cook for dinner.

That's the fun of it. Just sit a cooler of brew next to you and tune the radio to some classic rock and sit back and take it easy

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              No, Neil Diamond... 'Sweeeeeeeeeet Caroline.........'

hahahaha... just kiddin'

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Reminds me of a story I read of a guy who hid up in the mountains for 30 years, never talking to another person, when they caught him (he lived off of stealing supplies) he said he read every book he could find and listened to every type of music imaginable. He especially liked classical, but he said if he had his choice it would be classic rock, he said 1,000 years from now people will still be listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Was he one of the Idaho Loners?

DWCowles We have vastly different ideas of fun. I can't wait til I get really old and just sit up all day and night smoking stuff, nothing to do but cook and nap, and probably play tons of video games, and you don't even have to put in your teeth!

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              _John_ Why do you have to be old to stay up all night. As Ernest ask "What kind of STUFF are you talking about smoking?" Oh BTW, I still have my teeth and I'm a big fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, ACDC, Guns n Roses, etc.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol guys. Some people have time to kill and chill at work, others when they're home. My fave thing to do at home is have my stickburner fired up and any of several assorted beverages nearby.

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              Ernest yes...stuff

Yeah... you guys got the right idea!

Ummm... this weekend I just wanted to cook and be a bum. Sunday Morning I lit up the Q at 6:30 am - was cooking PB - in my robe and slippers, bed head... got some coffee and just sat out there waking up. A little while later (noonish) it warmed up outside so I got my little cooler iced some beer and settled back in monitoring the pit... note I was still in my robe, slippers, hair all messed... not a pretty picture according to my wife... LOL!

I said, 'Honey Get used to it... you are getting a picture of retirement!' She rolled her eyes and ran off shopping...
            Last edited by smarkley; July 13, 2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

smarkley lol. I kinda do the same. My first day home after a work stretch is tough (nights), I have a hard time finding any energy or motivation for much besides putting something on the smoker. I have been known to lounge in my PJ pants most of the day. Shave? Comb hair? Nah, I've done that enough for the week, time for a break!

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Shaved my head when I went to the Marines and haven't stopped, don't shave on the weekend without a reason. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old so all of my off time is kids, dance, gymnastics, birthday parties etc. I am lucky to get the free time that I do. I came home for lunch today to cut up and prep my turkey, will leave a little early and have it ready for dinner.

I have worked at home (in fact I am something of a nut about it https://medium.com/@fuzzleonard/the-...on-1b8e624c650) for about fifteen years now. There's an art to pulling off ultracasual without calling too much attention to yourself.

1. Hats. Did you brush your hair? Who knows? You are wearing a hat! Can't decide on a hat? The Creekstone Farms baseball caps are 100% cotton, look sharp and are really soft. http://store.creekstonefarms.com/product-p/csf-hat.htm

2. Pants. You want to wear PJs but you don't want to be That Person wandering around Home Depot in your jammies. Behold jersey knit pants. http://www.landsend.com/products/men...pants/id_54149 Feel like PJs, could pass for business casual.

3. Sandals. I like classic Birkenstock Arizonas but those may be against your politics. In any event get some good quality (as comfortable as slippers) slip-on sandals, flip flops, whatever.

As far as the Yoder goes it's 30-60 minutes now but it was my first stick burner and the first several cooks I pretty much had to watch it constantly.

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                A guy I work with comes in the office about 10 days a year, even though he only lives 10 minutes away. My wife works from home. I could do the same, but I can't separate the 2, I have to go to work to work and when i'm at home I don't touch it if possible.

• Mtrcylman
                Mtrcylman commented
                Editing a comment
                Great post and links LOL

Ha ha, love this thread, this is where the true pit masters 'come out'. I have to agree with y'all, can't think of a better thing than tending to my bbq, letting the mind drift, the hours go by and it's all good.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a beautiful thing!

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                My deck gets put in over the next month and covers like 4k square feet, I can't wait to sit out there and watch tv this fall, it was almost 100 today and sitting by a smoker was not on the top of the priority list. I need to move back to Hawaii

I'd fire up my KBQ for a pack of brats. It's alotta fun!!

Comment

If one prefers steady temp, digital readouts and no tend cooking- go pellet I guess. A stick burner is back to the basics, and yes, depending on your wood, outside temp, fire size etcetera, a stick every 45-one hour is about right. However...Yoder does make a basket (see ATBBQ.com) that can hold charcoal and smoking wood and can extend burn time. Best wishes...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here