Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Quantity in Yoder Durango

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Quantity in Yoder Durango

I am cooking for my Wife's large party on the fourth, and will have 18 racks of baby backs, and 4 pork butts in the Yoder Durango. I have a few questions I would like expert feedback on!

I intend to stand the slabs on the main rack, parallel to the fire box, from right to left. This will allow me room to rotate throughout the cook. The shoulders are going on the 4 shelves in the vertical cooker, and will go down to main shelf once ribs are done.

1 - Any thoughts on airflow issues/ even heating with the grill this loaded? This is my first super loaded cook on the Yoder.
    2 - I am doing the ribs from around 7am to 1pm (to allow time for any issues, and plan to faux cambrio them until 6pm. Any concerns with them getting too done doing this?
    3 - Does anyone have any tips/tricks on serving for 75 people? I only have probably 3 chaffing dishes

Kudos to you for cooking. I'm not a caterer, but I have cooked for some large parties (25-100 people).

my 2 cents: Smoking a few racks on your smoker compared to loading it up will be much different. Air flow, temp variance, etc. Time management and food doneness could be a real bummer. So I recommend for your consideration to cook the ribs the day before to about 90% doneness, wrap and refrigerate. Then reheat and finish the next day. I think if you cook them the day of the event: 1) a lot to manage with the butts and 2) leaving them in a cambrio will lead to the meat being over cooked, mushy and falling off the bone.

I did did this for a men's group (ribs and chicken) for about 30 men. 10 racks cooked the day before and reheated. Therefore I could focus on the chicken the day of the event. Came out really well.

Again JMHO and 2 cents.

good luck

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I used 90% rather than saying "not quite done". I went back and looked at my BBQ notes. I was smoking BB ribs. I smoke BB's for about 5 hours. So testing the ribs, I took 4 racks out at 3.5 hrs and the rest at 4 hrs. Wrapped and refrigerated. Set glaze the next day. Hope this helps.

• PaynTrain
      PaynTrain commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks TripleB, I think this will work very well. They are fine in cambrio if I am done at 4-430 and dinnner at 6 right?

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan. Good luck. Post the results after the event.

Good advice on the ribs. BBQ restaurants use the strategy of finishing ribs prior to service routinely. Good luck, that’s a big challenge!!

Comment

I would just throw everything in at once. If the food turns out lousy tell your guests, "Too bad!" :-)

Comment

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect! But what do I tell my Wife when she cracks my head for wasting $$$?!

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        PaynTrain Tell her you were just following the advice you received at The Pit.

It went pretty awesome. Ribs took almost 8 hours straight up no crutch. Chicken fajita towers were mazing, 2.5 hours. I did the pork butts the night before and then reheated and pulled. All was a hit for about 60 people, with plenty of take home containers!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180704_172751.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	530001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180703_152858.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	530002Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180704_150946.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	530003Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180704_160312.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	530004Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180617_181856.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	530005

Comment

PaynTrain Dude!! That looks great. You really hit it out of the park. Well done!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here