Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoder Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoder Smokers

Hey --

Long time member, first time poster. I have been learning via this website how to smoke for the past few years. I currently use a PBC (per recommendations on this site) and a Weber Kettle. Anyway, I have been planning for the last year to upgrade to a smoker that will allow me to cook a larger amount of meat and that requires a bit more hands on approach.

This year at Thanksgiving I had trouble fitting both of my turkeys in the PBC and decided it was time to upgrade. Anyway, I have spent the last couple weeks doing a lot of research on smokers and have kind of settled on the Yoder Cheyenne--with the heat management plate.

I have a couple questions for those that have experience. First off, is this a quality smoker? I get so nervous reading Meathead's article about offset smokers. (https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...smokers-buying).

There is obviously a fine line between buying one where I cannot control the heat and one that after practice will allow me to cook some good food. Meathead has a review of the Yoder Witchita and he gave it a gold rating. So I am assuming that rating kind of translates to the Cheyenne too. But, I don't want to make a mistake that costs this much, especially if it is better to go a different direction.

The second question, is whether there is another brand I should be looking at? And finally, if I do get the Cheyenne are there other must have accessories that need to be purchased too?

Anyway, any suggestions/advice/comments you have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jake

Welcome from Indiana.

Comment

Spend a lot of time in Indiana for work, great state. Just made it to my first Notre Dame game a few weekends ago.

Comment

Yoder Smokers are very good. They deserve our Gold Medals.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Jake. You should consider getting the probe port so you can monitor temps. I would call and ask how many probes you can fit in their port.

Comment

Welcome JakeLester9

Comment

Thank you all. In reference to the probe port, that makes sense. I have a number of different probes from Thermaworks (again per suggestions on this site). And I know that with a Weber or something like that you don't want to trust the built in thermometers. Is that true for even these more expensive devices? It is safe to assume that my probe is going to be more accurate than anything built into the unit, right?

Thanks again.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, even expensive smokers typically have a built in bi-metal thermometer, which has nowhere near the accuracy of your Thermoworks probes and thermometers. Plus, the factory installed dial thermometer will typically not be at the grate/meat level, but will be much higher.

You also might want to check out the new cabinet model smoker at Lone Star Grillz.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                True that, they build good stuff. Also good old Lang.

One thing I would caution based on what I've read here, a 16" barrel will have a lot more issues with temp management than a 20", and 20" vs. 24". So you may have to work harder on the Cheyenne to get the same results that you can get with the Wichita.

Oh, and welcome from the Seattle area

Comment

Welcome! Good to hear from you. I second what PBCdad says. Temp control is more difficult with smaller diameters. I run the loaded Wichita and I love it. My only complaint is that I didn't get the Kingman. My advice is go as big as you can afford, you'll probably always find a way, a reason, an occasion to fill it. If you're stuck with a small unit you may kick yourself. 'You can put a little in a lot but you can't put a lot in a little.'

That said, Yoder is heavy duty thick steel so whichever you decide to go with I doubt you'll be unhappy.

Comment

Jambo backyard is another model that you may want . depending on your location shipping can be significant too! Langs tend to be a good value too

Comment

Thanks for the comments about the difficulty in holding temp in the smaller units. I am not opposed to buying the larger one, it is less of a cost concern and more of a space concern. I just need to measure the area I want to keep the grill and see if the larger unit fits.

Comment

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Per folks comments I ended up ordering the loaded Wichita. Will be here in 5-short weeks.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Jake

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You will be happy with that. They are nice rigs.

Congrats and hi five JakeLester9 ! The waiting is the hardest part. I just love the flip top firebox of the Yoder, many stickburners don't have that. To me it's super handy, especially if you ever want to use the firebox as a wood grill.

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the stickburner club. Cheers! 🍺

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here