Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to spatchcock and smoke a chicken on a Yoder Wichita offset smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to spatchcock and smoke a chicken on a Yoder Wichita offset smoker

Starting with the chicken, rip the guts/giblets out and spatchcock (butterfly) it. Trust me, do it. Meathead has an excellent, succinct page here on how to spatchcock a bird. The same applies to a chicken as a turkey, except a chicken will be a bit easier.

Here's mine just spatchcocked but not trimmed yet. Scrape all the loose gunk out of the inside of the cavity, sometimes it hides tucked up in near the spine you just removed.

Pat it dry thoroughly on both sides. Repeat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5972.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	37178
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5974.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	37179

Notice the blobs of excess skin & fat (red arrow & circle). I like to trim all that stuff off & make a nice neat bird while I have the chance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5975.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	37180

Pat it dry again. Here's the inside of the cavity with a generous dose of rub. I like to use my Huskee's Rib Rub on chicken, it's my family's favorite chicken rub. I leave the salt in mine and use it as the dry brine. In this instance I dry brined (with full rub) for about 3.5hrs.

You don't HAVE to do this, most (including Meathead) prefer to dry brine chicken & turkey with salt only. This is the new norm. Just be sure to use a salt-free rub (and maybe a dash of finish salt on top). You really could use just about any pork or chicken rub. Memphis Dust would work well on chicken too. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5977.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	37181

It's a good idea to put a little rub up under the skin too, just to help add more flavor....especially if you or your guests will be pulling the skin off anyway.

Here I'm peeking up underneath to see the breasts. Insert whatever adult joke you'd like here.

I add some rub and push it up in with my gloved fingers as far as I can reach.
    Repeat for other direction. Trim any of the thin membrane that attaches the skin to the meat. The skin will still lay on top just fine after doing this. I also did this with the thighs, but a pic isn't really necessary- you get the idea. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5978.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	37182

Here it sits in the fridge to dry brine, protected with paper towel barrier to avoid leaking chicken juice in my fridge.
    Notice it's not covered- we want the skin to dry out as much as possible. Many folks go 24-48 hrs with the chicken dry brining in open air. Helps crisp the skin when cooking. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5982.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	37183

After heating the smoker up (I have a separate post on that since it was too much to combine into a single post) the chicken had dry brined for about 3.5hrs before going on the smoker when it hit ~325.

I like to place a temp probe in the center of the cooker so I knwo an average temp. It will be hotter nearest the firebox while it's heating up, but once it comes to temp and the chimney cap is opened fully, the chimney side will become hotter. Here's the probe placement. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6012.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	37184
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6013.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	37185

The chicken gets placed on what will be the hotter side nearest the chimney. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6046.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	37186

After about 1.5 hrs, with an average temp of 375 (reaching 399 for about 15 min) the breast probe read 160. I pull it when the ThermoPop confirms 160-162 both sides.

Not the prettiest bird I've done, but it was surely the best one yet. Higher temps= quicker cook and juicier bird. Notice how with even a avg temp of 375 and a 15 min peak of 399 the skin isn't black, and this is with all logs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6057.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	37187

A shot from deep into the breast, look at that juice! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6063.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	37188
    Last edited by Huskee; December 5, 2014, 12:47 AM.

Sweet mother of meat! Great job.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Looks Great Huskee and great post

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy

Looks awesome Huskee!! After last nights Seminar I'm really wanting a stick burner

Comment

cdd, we all want one... well not DW or A-ron. BUT the rest of us do!

Comment

+1

On both the compliments and on wanting a stickburner

Comment

Originally posted by cdd315 View Post
          Looks awesome Huskee!! After last nights Seminar I'm really wanting a stick burner
          Thanks! They're sure fun. They're rewarding I guess I can put it that way. I wish everyone could get a chance to try it.

Comment

Excellent post! I like the step by step instructions with good pictures. And yes, I am definitely yearning for a stick burner too. I will get one, no doubt about it, it's just a matter of time...

Comment

Great post Huskee. You do good work! Nice pictures too.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry I missed this compliment Breadhead, thanks for the nice words!

Great post. I am doing one right now the same way except on a GMG pellet grill. I thought I would try adding some smoke flavour by cooking at 160 for a couple of hours first. We will see how that turns out.

Comment

Great post, I will be using this when i finally get my Yoder

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. I had to weed through some nonsense to find the last meaningful post in this thread, lol. Oh those crazy kids down there....

Spinaker I don't think Huskee has been using his Yoder since he has the SnS. What a shame 😢

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been a while, but I do. I use it when I have a load that wont fit on the kettle. I am running low on wood at this time and it's too hot to go cut more. But soon.

So does one yodel while they cook on a yoder???

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do whether it's normal or not.

Like this I think...

Comment

That was equally depressing and entertaining at the same time.

Thanks to a few cooks feeding an offset wood, the Pit Barrel Cooker, B & B Hardwood Briquettes, Insulated Vertical Smokers, Auber fan systems, the SnS.....I never have to feed wood to a smoker again.

Comment

• Munch
                    Munch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Depressing? Or disturbing?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here