Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evaluating Used GOOR Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaluating Used GOOR Value

Hey folks,

I've been lurking for a couple months, posting for the first time looking for opinions on a GOOR (Good One Open Range) for sale on a craigslist type app. The seller listed the GOOR at $300, had been sitting on the site for 9 months. I inquired about it and the price is suddenly $400 firm because the seller has had unexpected expenses arise in that time span. This threw up some red flags, but I won't argue it's a steal even at the new price. Provided it's in the described condition. What do you think? If I check it out in person I'm going to compare the dimensions of the GOOR vs. the Patio Jr. to make sure the seller didn't accidentally list the Jr. as the GOOR. Any other red flags I should look for according to GOOR owners? Or should I just look for rust and kick those little tires?

Thanks a bunch for any input, I've learned so much here in the pit
    Attached Files

I’d say it looks like a very good deal if the cooker is in decent shape. Ask Mr. Bones he has one he won here for just being....well Bonzey

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Reckon they was only one, mebbe two numbers off from pickin yall, Troutman texastweeter

July's drawing is almost here...

If'n I don't win, yall are my next two favourites!

Send up that flare!!

Comment

That's a gen 1, in my reckonin... hard tires, non-reversible smoker lid... not at all a deal breaker, simply an observation...

Previous to winnin my GOOR, I looked at several with lustful eyes on CL...even went an looked at a few...

Most had most of th paint burned offa most of th firebox, or badly executed paintjobs to cover it, an were $500-800, askin price... most sellers didn't wanna budge down too fer from that, an they're not exactly scarce, hereabouts, bein made ~110 miles from where I sit, an ~50 miles from where I was raised.

This one looks to be in purty nice shape, give what I can see in th pics...like ya said, check fer any structural rust issues, surface rust fer one this old is almost a given, after th paint gits burned offa th firebox...happens to lotsa $$$ smokers, as well...heat proof paint, well, really ain't...

At $300, even $400, I'd dang sure check it out, bring it home if still structurally sound...that's a steal of a deal, though I'd still try to talk em down, cause, well, that's how I roll, an ya could spend th $50-$100 on some high heat paint, an proteins fer yer first cook!

Any other questions, please, lmk...

BTW:Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Good Luck, an Happy Huntin! Mebbe this will nudge ya to join on up, here!

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Bones! I had a feeling you'd chime in. Was anything different about the ash tray in gen 1? Think it's possible for me to get this into a four-door sedan, disassembled? 36W 32D 46H seems like I could remove the legs and squeeze it in to me, but I've never seen one in person.

Hello from sunny Arizona! I'm already decided that I'm going to fully join up. I guess I better do that to get on the monthly sweepstakes list.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        jhapka Haven't physically put eyeballs on an early one, like this...my ash pan looks a lot like th tool tray that sits in th top of a hip-roof toolbox..
        I'd think ya could fit it in a car, but have never tried it...

Were ya able to seal a deal on this GOOR, Amigo?

Got me a wonderin...

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m checking it out tomorrow morning, wish me luck

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Luck jhapka !

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Seller’s being flaky. Called off the 10 am and 5:30 pm meetups. 8 am tomorrow...

Welcome to the Pit from Mesa AZ!

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to see another Arizonan. Ever seen a thread about temp management for summer in AZ? I’ve had to make some adjustments this Spring once it finally heated up. Curious if there’s any general knowledge

Well the deal didn’t work out. Seller cancelled on me last minute too many times. I’ll just have to keep scanning CL or hope I win that sweepstakes!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Too bad, but I'm sure another one will come along, given time...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here