Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Good One temperature differential questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good One temperature differential questions

Hi all-
    I recently bought a The Good One Open Range and like it a lot. I do have a question though.

When I smoke I have a Maverick probe, usually on the bottom grate. During the smoke, the temperature differential between the Maverick probe and the integrated smoker probe is around 30 degrees. Here are some questions:
    • I have read that, while most integrated probes are not accurate, the one on The Good One is. Is that the experience of others? Before I installed it I did put the tip in boiling water and it was real close to 212 (211 I think).
    • Is there any way to improve circular air flow in the smoke box to even out the temps?
    • Any better ideas on dealing with this problem than switching the top and bottom grates half way through?
    • Am I going to experience any issues when I do a big, tall piece of meat like a pork butt, turkey, or the like? I am concerned that the top of the meat will get done faster than the bottom, and possibly leave the bottom under-cooked.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

-Bill

I'm not experienced with pellet cookers, but all that I've read says that their temp controls go for the overall ambient temp inside. That will be different, often substantially from the grid temp. Not a matter of accuracy but of averaging.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I don’t believe The Good One is a pellet smoker. I have m.y eye on it if I win the Gold Medal Give Away. It is an interesting grill-smoker combo. Check it out In case you win.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops, my mistake. Thanks!

What is the difference in height of the Maverick and the included probe? Most all pits are hotter the higher you go, so a difference in temp would be expected if they are different heights in the cooker.
    You will not have a problem with a pork butt as long as you don't pull it until it is probe tender all over.
    Yes, you will probably have to switch shelfs if you want everything done at the same time. However, you could just cambro each hunk o' meat as they get done without problems.

Comment

Hey Bill... I had one of these and I loved it very much. Sold it because the smoking box was a bit narrow for me when I wanted to cook in volume.
      If memory serves me correct, the firebox burns from left to right and so I'm not sure if you'll get perfect "even temps" across the smoke box, but I don't remember one side being necessarily hotter than the other at any point..
      Meaning everything always came out great no matter where it sat in the smoke box and nothing was done faster because of grate arrangements (ribs, and butt etc on both set of grates and they all came out together)
      I never had to do the dance of switching grates and I did everything from turkey to even a very small pig in it (that was interesting how we got it in there) I'll find some pics..

Also, Chris Marks has been quite good with responding to help get an understanding of your the cooker.
      Not sure if I'm not allowed to say this (please forgive me moderators if I'm wrong) but there are "Good One" groups that are also helpful with learning more on the cooker.
      Last edited by Timcee; June 2, 2018, 12:24 AM.

Comment

While I don't have this particular cooker, honestly 30 degrees is nothing to worry about. Many stickburners will be from 10-50 difference end to end or up & down top rack to bottom rack, (pellet coookers too) . Most BBQ meats can easily be cooked in such a variance, in fact you can learn to utilize those differentials to your benefit.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Personally I like the different zones especially if I’m cooking multiple types of meat!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here