Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Good One Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good One Smoker

I am thinking about purchasing one of "The Good One" smokers and would like to get some first hand experience from some one who owns one. I know it has been reviewed by AR so this is why I am thinking about it. Just looking for a little more feed back before a drop the cash!

I've always like the look of these. They don't seem to get much love here in the Pit. I'm interested to see the response

Comment

I have no experience with it, but it would be my choice if I win the Gold Medal Give Away.

Comment

I am still hoping someone has The Good-One!

Comment

I don't own one but I have a "good" friend that does. What kind of questions do you have? He uses his for competition pork shoulder all the time. He has the Good-One Marshall.

Comment

Thanks for helping.
            1. So​​​​​ is it considered a stick burner? I'm looking to add more smoke flavors​. I have the PBC while I love it even when I add wood chunks I can't seem to get the smokey flavor I'm looking for.
            2. Does it maintain temperature​ pretty consistently. With wood? With charcoal? Or is it a combination?
            3. How does it age? After a year or so do all the parts seem to still fit together.

I really like the design and I am chomping g at the bit to pull the trigger but it is a lot of money. I don't see many people talking about it.

Comment

I have one that is about---10 years old I would guess. It is an ORIGINAL Good One made in Kansas.
              I have used it a lot in the past but not so much the past few years.
              To answer your questions as well as I can recall.
              1. It is not built as a stick burner but can be used as one with patience. I always used lump charcoal and added chunks to it.
              2. With charcoal it maintains temps AMAZINGLY well. It does take a little practice to get to where it dials in easily but once you get the hang it is a set and forget from start to finish.
              3. Mine is still like new. I keep it outside and keep it covered and have no complaints on it at all.

Please note I do have the original and I have seen the newer versions of the Good One and I can't vouch for the new ones other than to say they definitely seem to be a little lighter gauge construction. Good One was bought out from a local manufacturer and taken to the big time.

Comment

Ok I appreciate your help.

Comment

Many who crave more smoke flavor use wood chunks with The Good-One. The manufacturer states, "the Good-One Smokers are designed for either wood/lump or Briquette ". However, The Good-One's award winning pitmaster, Chris Marks says, "I never use just wood, never get a constant cook or flavor when I did just wood. I can always get a consistent cook and more importantly consistent flavor with lump. You can never guarantee the state of moisture of stick logs like you can lump charcoal".

Comment

Which size are you looking at? The KBQ is only $400 more than the Good One Open Range...if you're looking at $1k-1.5K range

Comment

I think from a marketing perspective the company should have dubbed it "The Great One."

Comment

• sos2979
                        sos2979 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That will be there second generation, followed by "The Best One"

• MBMorgan
                        MBMorgan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmmm ... I believe that there's a Mr. Wayne Gretzky who holds the rights to that title.

Jecuculo an option you might want to consider?
                      https://smokenfire.com/shop/xtreme-b...-bbq-model-30/
                      An interesting back story on these cookers. The story will never become public knowledge.
                      scroll down to see other options.
                      Last edited by Cheef; May 8, 2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Great responses. I also this one on AR

Comment

jecucolo that company is about 5 miles from my house.
                          His materials and construction are second to none. BUT they are spendy.

Comment

I have one of the newer Good One Open Ranges and I was never that satisfied with the smoker. The lid rusted out and they replaced it for free, which is nice but the quality just seemed low overall to me.
                            The good - held temp well, looks good and seems like a great idea.
                            The bad - low quality parts. Pain in the butt to clean out old coals. Burns through coals faster than anything I have ever seen. Uneven cooks. The smoking chamber doesn't drain well because the hole is too small and only in the middle. The bbq area is kinda useless because once you open the door, all the heat is gone. Hard to get a good sear on anything.
                            My "Good One" is sitting on my patio not used anymore and I would let it go very cheap (So Cal).
                            Lastly, I say all this after switching to a Kamado Joe (Big Joe) and there is just no comparison. The Joe does everything I need and then some. My wife says my bbq is so much better after switching. Ribs, brisket, pork butt, steaks, you name it...it's all so much better with Joe. And I don't burn through anywhere near as much briquettes.
                            Sorry to sound like a ceramic cooker commercial but give me a ceramic cooker and a true offset and I would be stoked. Saving money for a Meadow Creek offset to compliment my Big Joe. 😬👍🏻

Comment

• JCBBQ
                              JCBBQ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm on the same track. Love my Primo - only thing I really want is an off-set. Just curious, why Meadow Creek. They look excellent but are quite a bit more expensive than the comparable pits out of TX.

• Cheef
                              Cheef commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm willing to bet you don't have the original. And truthfully your problems don't surprise me. The old Good Ones, and the Xtreme BBQ's will never have the troubles you describe.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here