Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good One Open Range Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good One Open Range Question

I just got my new GOOR. I seasoned it per the instructions included with cooker but I also threw some bacon on the top smoking grate to assist with the seasoning process. I noticed the bacon on the grate closest to the damper charred up much quicker than the bacon away from the damper. I was running the smoker around 340 so it was hotter than what I will normally cook at. My question is...will I need to rotate my meat to keep the edges from burning even if I'm cooking between 225 and 250?

I’m of no help. But, congrats on the new cooker! Show us what it’s made of & how it works!

Comment

Mr. Bones might be able to help. He’s got one

Comment

Congrats here. Agree, I expect Mr. Bones can help.

Comment

Your question has an interesting side point--Know Your Grill and How it Cooks.
          After a temperature analysis on my pellet grill showed it burns about 20% hotter than displayed.
          Happy grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

Until Mr Bones show up to help, I would just suggest you do the bread test at your normal low & slow temps. The more they toast, the warmer those spots. But it also won't take you very long to ascertain this on an actual cook too, just keep track of the hunks of meat's internal temps.

Comment

• DBeck28
              DBeck28 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what I'm going to do. I'll do a "test" run with a rack of ribs. Thanks!

Congrats!!

Comment

So I did a "test" cook with a rack of ribs. Cook time was about 5 hours. Probably could have went another hour but the wife got impatient. Temps held solid (220 - 235) the whole cook with very few and minor adjustments. Did not notice any excess heat near the damper at these temps. I did rotate the ribs halfway through the cook but I probably wouldn't have to. This thing is a beast. Can't wait for the next cook!
              Attached Files

Comment

In regards to yer initial bacon test^^^...

Tell me this; were ya tryin to regulate temps by usin th vents?

Comment

• DBeck28
                  DBeck28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, I only used the damper to regulate. I think it was just the higher temps caused some higher heat near the damper. I didn't notice this during my cook with the ribs.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DBeck28 mine deffo wantsta run HOT; learned to screw them vents down purty tight, an solely govern cookin temp with th damper,

I've had an Open Range since 2016 and it's a great cooker. The hottest part of the smoking chamber is next to where the damper is but I've never had to rotate any food to get it to cook correctly. I just make sure that I don't have meat directly over the damper exit. I usually have my spinner vents about 1 1/2 to 2 turns out and the damper handle at about the 11:00 position and that keeps the temps on the thermometer at about the 250 mark.

Comment

• Kontroll
                  Kontroll commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you have difficulty burning a clean smoke? That one lone exhaust spinner just doesn't look big enough but I could be wrong. Were you burning charcoal with wood chunks or strictly logs? Thanks.

• 70monte
                  70monte commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have no difficulty burning clean smoke and the one exhaust spinner is plenty big enough. I only use Lump or charcoal with wood chunks in mine. It's not really meant to burn all wood.

• DBeck28
                  DBeck28 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I burn strictly lump charcoal (Jealous Devil with wood chunks). Smoke is very clean. I've messed around with how I light this thing and I've taken care of the running hot issue for the most part.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here