Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice on first stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for advice on first stick burner

Hey Guys,

I've got a Weber Performer with a Slow 'n Sear insert plus a PBC and I've made a lot of good food with them. Got a brisket point in the PBC right now. But I'm looking to step up to a stick burner and hope you guys can point me towards a good starting place. I don't have the budget for something like a Hasty Bake or other high end cookers and would like to stay below (well below?) $1,000 but the quality of the cook is the main thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Maybe you can find a used KBQ https://amazingribs.com/smoker/karub...-60-pit-review

Of course, whether this is what you're after depends on a lot of things. At $1500 new and cheap shipping, it's a deal anyway.

And hey, the cook _is_ the main thing!

Comment

This is fun and not what you want, but thought you would enjoy it:

This is intriguing - never seen it before

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        The second link, judging by the shit fit on the main door it ain't going to work to well.

Originally posted by EdF View Post
      Maybe you can find a used KBQ https://amazingribs.com/smoker/karub...-60-pit-review

Of course, whether this is what you're after depends on a lot of things. At $1500 new and cheap shipping, it's a deal anyway.

And hey, the cook _is_ the main thing!
      Oh, man, I've read that review a few times over the years. Sounds amazing. And, yeah, the price is probably really good for what you get. But way more cooker and way more money than I'm looking for. Thanks, man.

Comment

Man, that first one is a kick! You could feed a lot of folks with that thing.

2nd one is strange. Yeah, having a burn box and smoker together is unique but it all looks . . . I don't know. Weird? Nope but you know what I mean. Thanks for the suggestions bro.

Comment

I’d agree that a used KBC would be your best option but It would be around 1K versus 1.4K new. That would deliver outstanding food.

The other options would be the OKJs which are $300-$500. However, I would be prepared to spend some effort upgrading parts and sealing leaks with gasket, similar to what Uncle Bob did to his Judge in the below thread. Otherwise your experience is very likely to be subpar. If you are handy with tools, maybe a good option and project for you.

Now I know what MCS means, I can confirm I'm infected, despite offloading a few smokers in the past week. I have been musing over a Santa Maria-style grill, as I think the adjustable charcoal grates are pretty neat. I understand Hasty-Bake is best in class here. However, I couldn't help but notice this one and the price point

Comment

If you're diligent about checking Craigslist I have no doubt you'll find a few every so often; but it might be months.

It took me near 8 months to find a stick burner that was within my budget, but it worked out.

Also, I'd recommend to source wood before buying. Sometimes it can be expensive (or you can search craigslist again).
            Last edited by Loren; December 10, 2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Bathgate
              Bathgate commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea about the wood source. I've got easy access to oak but less so for fruit or nut woods. And, yeah, Craigslist probably is my best bet. Thanks.

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree. It’ll take some leg work in searching. Get some wood now so it’ll be seasoned by the time you have the offset! I go through a bunch of wood!

• Loren
              Loren commented
              Editing a comment
              To be completely honest I found oak to be really awesome thermally...if you can get oak I'd stick to that for the start.

I was going to suggest the Old Country BBQ Pits line, sold by Academy Sports, but I don't think Academy has any locations in your area. Old Country is good stuff for your price range.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              You beat me to it Steve R.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I might mention that if I had a budget of $2,000+, I would look at the higher-priced options. But the Old Country brand fills the niche between COS and EOS nicely. They also come with a lifetime warranty, which I had occasion to use once. The owner of the company mailed me a handwritten check to cover the cost to have a bad weld fixed at a local welding shop.

Smoker Review: Old Country BBQ Pits Brazos Offset Smoker - Bing video

Comment

Originally posted by Bathgate View Post
              Hey Guys,

I've got a Weber Performer with a Slow 'n Sear insert plus a PBC and I've made a lot of good food with them. Got a brisket point in the PBC right now. But I'm looking to step up to a stick burner and hope you guys can point me towards a good starting place. I don't have the budget for something like a Hasty Bake or other high end cookers and would like to stay below (well below?) $1,000 but the quality of the cook is the main thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
              Personally, I don't know of any QUALITY offset stick burners in your price range. The stuff Steve R. mentions seems well built, the times I've seen it at Academy. Other than that, you are talking Oklahoma Joe cheap crappy offsets, that CAN smoke food but you have to do a lot of mods to seal it up and work hard at it. I will tell you from experience that a cheap offset and the work it involves in chasing temperatures will turn you off from smoking.

I went the opposite direction from you - I have an offset, one custom built around 1985, which still works for me, but have smoked more and more on my Weber Performer. If it fits - I use the Performer, as it uses much less fuel than the offset, and needs MUCH less tending. I don't often have the time or energy to manage the fire on an offset every 30 minutes. It may just be me, but I feel the flavor profile in my kettle using the SNS with charcoal plus wood chunks is comparable to my offset, or close anyway, and its so much less work.

If you get an offset, I recommend WAITING until you save up enough to get a quality one. Yoder makes some good ones, as does Lang, and many others.

Comment

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I'd be curious to see your smoker! Stainless? Built nearly 50 years ago? I'm intrigued!

Interesting Yoder is only listing the loaded Witchita, I wonder why?
                Last edited by Loren; December 11, 2020, 05:55 PM.

• Rfhd69
                Rfhd69 commented
                Editing a comment
                "When I visited Sam's NW BBQ in Sherwood, Oregon"

Absolutely love Sam’s! Bought several smokers from him. Great shop!

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Loren its not that much to look at. When my dad handed it down to me in the mid 90's, he decided to "freshen it up" by painting the stainless with high temp black paint. Really Dad? Stainless peaks through worn 25 year old paint for the most part.
                Last edited by jfmorris; December 12, 2020, 08:07 AM.

jfmorris s is spot on. The first thing I thought of when you stated your budget was $1000 was there are no good quality stick burners out there at that price. Save up and get a good one like Yoder or Lang. I have a backyard Jambo that is just as good, but their pretty hard to get a hold of.

Comment

I agree with the recommendations to save some more money to increase your budget to the $2000 range as the frustrations of smoking on a cheap offset may turn you off to it altogether. I'd check out KAT BBQ Smokers in Modesto. I don't know much about them but the little that I have heard is that they make quality offsets. They post their own offsets & cabinet smokers all of the time on Craigslist and you would avoid paying freight charges if you could pick it up.
                Last edited by kenrobin; December 11, 2020, 06:10 PM.

Comment

The heavier the better. Make sure it has plenty of airflow, and a big firebox door. (assuming you mean an offset)Those are my first 3 things I check. Or just buy one with the PittMaker.com or SmokeKing emblem on it and be done.
                  Last edited by texastweeter; December 12, 2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Lots of good input here, guys. Thanks.

I'm actually very happy with the quality of the food I get from the Performer with the SnS. The PBC does ok, too but I've had to learn to mod it some to reduce the heat as it tends to cook way hotter than I like. That said, the PBC does seem to impart its own flavor profile.

I'll probably hold off on the stick burner for now, at least until I convince myself that it is worth doubling my budget!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here