Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burn Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn Barrel

Hey folks! Long time. Is the world still upside down where you're at? smh

Does anyone here use a burn barrel or other method of pre-burning your wood down to coals? I did a search and didn't see anything though I'm sure this has been discussed and I'm just missing it.

I'm trying to gather more information about how they work, how to use them, and if people who've tried them would recommend it. Thanks!

Really not much to it. Cut hole to shovel out coals. Punch holes in side to insert rebar or pipe.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3671FCA8-D2A2-4772-86D8-CD82D507A109.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	933857

Comment

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Don. Yep, I've seen how they are made. That's the one thing you see a lot when you search. What you don't see is everything that happens after that! As the temps go down I get less and less interested in working on my building a Fire Boy Scout badge and would much rather just shovel coals into my smoker. These seem like they would solve that but I've never seen anyone talking about using them.

That's how Tootsie does it at Snows...they burn em down and then shovel. Pretty sure, that's also how most hog roasters do it. Rodney Scott did it on his show that way. It's probably a lot more common than we think. Definitely an old school way of doing it.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just thinking this same thing - a lot of the big smoke house places have coals just going. Start up a fire but then just let the wood slowly burn into the coals.

I b lazy, I pellet grill, But me like watching videos on it. Another skill to learn.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here