Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of You have Experience with Pits by JJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of You have Experience with Pits by JJ

Hey, Pit Members!

I, like many others it seems, am in the process of upgrading my equipment to a high quality stick burner. My initial thought was to check out Lang 48 (what I am currently leaning toward), Horizon 24 RD Special Marshall, or the Yoder Loaded Wichita. After reading some suggestions on other posts, I have explored Jambo and Lonestar. While browsing those sites, I stumbled on the Pits by JJ site. Some of the pits and associated pricing looks pretty interesting. I am curious as to whether the JJ pits stand up to the quality of the heavy hitters in the market.

The two JJ's that piqued my interest were the JJ 24x48 barrel smoker and the JJ 24x42 Offset Smoker Cabinet. Any and all feedback or recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

I just looked at the JJ 24x42 off set. That's a nice looking beast. I do not think you could go wrong. I Myself think my next edition will be the Lang 48. That just looks like a machine I could get the most dependable use out of. So if you go that way. Please keep me posted.

Comment

I’ve got a backyard Jambo and was comparing Lang and Jambo before I made my choice. I wanted a direct flow smoker rather than a reverse flow, which I’m sure you know the difference. Of what you’re looking at, I’d go with what your leaning towards, the Lang. You can add on to the base model your looking at, they are well made and great customer support. I have 8 square feet compared to 10 square feet on the 48” Lang and I have not even come close to maxing it out.

Comment

I have the YLW and love it. But they are all so nice I want one of each. Wish I could help you.

Comment

I have a feeling that I will end up going with the Lang. I was fantasizing about the larger cabinet style offset from JJ, but a) I likely won't want to pay the shipping when I am close enough Lang to go pick it up haha and b) I am not sure how well the cabinet style cooks compared to the barrel style offset.

Thanks for the replies! I'm hoping to make a purchase in the coming months.

Comment

I just saw a Horizon at Bass Pro today. It was a nice thick and heavy smoker that would probably work well. However, I was pretty unimpressed with the attention to detail. Lots of rough cut edges, odd shaped corners, etc. Welds were solid but not as pretty as should have been. I think I would expect a little more attention to detail when dropping 1-2 grand on a couple hundred dollars worth of steel. Craftsmanship is really the product you are buying. I’m also not impressed with them totally not responding to a product inquiry I sent them back in March (after they didn’t answer their phone to begin with prompting me to send the email).

On other forums, Yoder gets a bad rap for drafting issues - claims that their pits just don’t draft as well as others and you have to leave the firebox door open or use a fan to get the airflow right. I cannot attest to that as I’m inexperienced with Yoder and stick burners in general but have interest in getting a decent one. I’m probably going to go the KBQ route but haven’t decided completely. If the right used one shows up it might sway me to offset instead.

Comment

Enjoy the search! I looked at JJ's and they looked nice, but ultimately I went with Gator out of Houston, TX. You'll have to let us know if you do opt for a JJ!

Comment

I’ve seen, in pics and videos, some of JJ’s pits and they look top notch for sure. But I am definitely partial to the LSG pits. Their attention to detail is second to none IMO.
                Either way you won’t go wrong.
                Let us know what you decide on. 👍

Comment

I decided to go with the Lang 48" patio. Hoping to have it by Valentine's Day

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Congrats. There are a lot of Lang lovers here.
                    And now the wait............

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here