Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Some Stick Burner Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$125 for the custom metal work plus the file conversion fee.

Comment

Here's some pics from a client in Mexico city yesterday.
      Where there's a will there's a way!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Dedication!

Well, I just got off of the phone with Sharon at Lone Star Grillz after ordering the 24 X 40 offset smoker.

Man, oh man there are so many awesome choices out there. The Lang, Wichita, Shirley, Jambo, and KBQ were all at the top of the list, but I just kept coming back to the LSG.

Much like when I purchased the WSCG with help from Max Good and fzxdoc 's reviews, the final push for the LSG was after watching kenrobin 's video review of his 20 X 42 (thanks Ken!!! https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardSmokeMasterBBQ).

I want to thank you all so very much for your input and insights, this is a fantastic group of people we have here and I'm proud to be a part of it.

I'll of course post some pics when it gets here in 12-18 weeks, but here's a shot from the interwebs:

Click image for larger version  Name:	24-x-40-offset-smoker-1-opt_1800x1800.jpg Views:	13 Size:	8.5 KB ID:	920448
      Last edited by CaptainMike; October 6, 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        My best guess is that yer not gonna set that LSG up on yer deck, so might give some thought to makin it a pad that connects to yer existin concrete walkways, or patio, below...

Pushin these big boys around, 'off road' is not summat that yer gonna enjoy, even if/when th yard is dry as a bone, an jus ain't gonna happen, if th yard is damp/wet. She'll sink like th Titanic, only much faster.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats!!!! Great choice.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        You know I’m not going to like waiting that long to see photos of your cooks. I might just check in every week "is it here yet?"

A 12-18 week wait is a bummer. That would drive me nuts. But congrats on the new cooker regardless! I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Shipping was a pretty big one to swallow as well, but at least I was prepared for that.

👍👍👍
      springtime will be here in no time !

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, I don't care if there's 6 feet of snow on the ground and a whiteout blizzard raging I'm going to crank that baby up when it gets here!

Great pick up Cap!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about it!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike I am stoked for you. I think I want to be like Ernest with the kbq, but I am a ways from that. I am still working too much and I can’t cut the cord just yet.

Great news and congratulations Mike!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Don, I'm really looking forward to this.

CaptainMike Congrats! Though I really dislike you now. I’ve been watching this thread and have been thinking since it started I probably rushed to judgement on stick burners based on a COS. Now I’m looking at the LSG, Lang, and KBQ sites frequently (insert smack head emoji here).

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck, brother! It's a wonderful journey.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        A quality stick burner is an entirely different thing than a COS, having used both. It's like the difference between a Weber Kettle or PK grill, and a leaky hunk of crap charcoal grill from the big box store.

Sadly my offset is not a "COS" in that it was designed by my dad, and welded up from 304 stainless back in the mid 80's, but while its functional, it's also leaky and has a few things I have to deal with. I make it work, as I can't get rid of it. I want a nice one someday though!

Congratulations. It is going to be a long wait....

Comment

Can't wait to see you cooking on it! I'm very heavily tempted by the Engelbrecht Braten 1000 myself. Seems like the best of both worlds, but who knows.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike sounds like the right choice!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          You might have to road-trip it down and take a look see!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to get down that way to see my family ..... seems like I should stop in and say hi

Have fun when it gets to your door! Good luck sleeping until then. Lol.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Skip, it's going to be a long haul. Fortunately, I have my trusty arsenal that will get me through the winter.

Oh wow. Just "oh wow".

Enjoy, CaptainMike . You deserve it. What fun you have in store.

K.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kathryn, I am really looking forward this. Spartacus was a pretty big splurge, But The Bone Pit just wouldn't get out of my head. I have a lot of thumb twiddling to do for the next 12-18 weeks!!

CaptainMike Did you get any of the various "upgrades"? I ended up going back and ordering after the fact the following since I got mine over a year ago.

Fire Management Basket
        Gas Assist/Log Lighter
        Fireboard fan and adapter

The gas assist is incredibly helpful. I think it was kenrobin who actually inspired that one...and I also highly recommend it.

The fire management basket I've been very happy with. Before having it, I found myself struggling to tend a small fire in the back corner of the fire box..especially in the hot summer months we get here in Northern Cali. Having the basket to decrease the footprint of the coal bed really helps a lot.

As for the fireboard, I haven't purchased/made a charcoal smoking rig to use it with but that is one of my winter projects. I'd like to try a "set and forget" set up and see how it goes.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase I'm sure you'll have a blast cooking on it...especially making hors d'oeurves for the chef on the built in griddle over the fire box!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for chiming in Jake! I did get the fire basket and gas assist, along with a few other add-ons and doodads. I am undecided on the fan as of yet. I'd like to get something that I can use on both the LSG and my WSCG. Leaning towards the Pit Bull, but I haven't done any serious digging in yet. I tell you, the more I hear from you now-fellow LSG owners the more I know I made the right choice. Ken's video was indispensable and anyone considering a LSG needs to see it.

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! kenrobin was also a big influence for me as well

Woooooohoooo! I'm experiencing a vicarious satisfaction of MCS. But we all know what follows. The cravings multiply. Congrats, Cap'n! This is gonna be a fun ride.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Hoov, it's been a fun ride so far.

Captain Mike: You might want to check out the team at AZ BBQ Outfitters. http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-7/ Please be sure to click on the link "About Me." Pretty amazing company story and have heard their products are phenomenal.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks John Henry, I did give them a look and totally agree about their products and story. They were definitely considered.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here