Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Smoker Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from California! If your goal is to improve smoke flavor a stickburner is definitely the way to go! Happy hunting!

Comment

Thanks for such a warm welcome! I think I am now leaning towards a basic Shirley 24x36.

Phad

Comment

OK. I think I have it narrowed down to the LSG 20x44 or the 24x36 Shirley.

I really like what I see in both.

1. This thread:
        I bought the fire management basket with my LSG 20x42. It works really well to concentrate the coal bed and make poking sticks more of a pleasure. It is a “must have” accessory in my opinion. Of course, this LSG is an offset with its primary mission of being a stick burner. That is what I wanted and that’s the reason

Seems to indicate that you can cook with charcoal in the lsg. Is this also a possibility with the Shirley? I think I may want to have a set and forget type of cook a couple times a year.

2. The LSG you can add water to the bottom. Is this possible with the Shirley?

3. I cannot seem to find measurements for the grate space on the Shirley. Is there a noticeable difference in the size of these two units?

Thanks in advance.

Phad

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Shirley makes a great cooker from what I heard. The wait time is pretty long for them though, be sure to check it out. I have heard 24 months.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

A KBQ is in your budget.

[rev_slider alias=”slider” order=”1,2,3,4,6,7,5,8,9,10,11,23,17,18,19,20,21,22,12,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42″][/rev_slider] After leading tours of over 230 commercial barbecue establishments across the country, I can say that the Karubecue: 1) Meets our rigorous standard of a traditional, wood-fired barbecue pit; and 2) Eliminates the barriers to making consistently great finished product. From our… keep reading

I just wrote a post about it's features in this thread.

Comment

• Phaddie
            Phaddie commented
            Editing a comment
            Been talking with him a bit through email. Canadian shipping is not something he does. Only ships to us side at my closet depot.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Phaddie Hmm, that's too bad, and surprising as I thought he shipped internationally. Depending on where you live it normally wouldn't be a problem. I live near the border and pick up packages at the US shipping depots, but since the border shut down it's been meager business for them. I know they can get stuff over, just extra fees. We keep hoping it will open back up, but the way things look it could be a long time, unfortunately.

• Phaddie
            Phaddie commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, due to my wife's work I cannot cross the border right now to pick it up. And some initial research seems to indicate that having something that heavy picked up even for that shirt a trip is expensive. My thinking is I would rather spend more on the smoker and less on the shipping

Quick update. COVID is really messing my plans up. It looks like around 1100 USD to get a Shirley to me. Tha twill probably price me out of anything other than a Lang.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you talked to Chris @ LSG to see what it would cost to have a 20X42 shipped to you? As you can see in my avatar I have their 24X36 pipe offset.
            I cain’t praise enough about their products. Absolutely top notch.

I have a Lang 36” hybrid and really like it. Whatever you decide, I guess I would warn you that no stick burner provides set it and forget it cooking. They have to pretty much be babysat...that’s been my experience anyway. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, have to buy a Canadian made out. US pits just too much to ship and exchange and taxes.

Looking at BulldogBBQ
            806 Followers, 969 Following, 27 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from BulldogBBQs (@bulldogbbqs)

And

Alberta Barbeque

1,610 Followers, 150 Following, 221 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Alberta Barbecue (@albertabarbecue)

Leaning towards Alberta right now.

Thoughts?

Comment

I decided to go with an Alberta Barbeque pit. Ordered a 24x45ish (I have a max complete length of 79"). Looking forward to it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here