Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh happy Father's Day anticipation, I bought my burial casket today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh happy Father's Day anticipation, I bought my burial casket today!

I have looked at these at HEB. Let us know how it works out!

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I fired her up for cooking, first time, on Father's Day...she was working nice. I'd even gone by All Seasons Feeders the day before and got a quarter inch plate that replaces the firebox grate...to use as a hot grill but also directs the heat and smoke straight into the cook boxes. Baby was humming when I put the meat on. Then the rains came, through the day, maybe two inches...when I gave up there was standing water on the pit and the inside smoke was down to 200 degrees. Not even a strong fire with open flame could get that thick steel pit back to temperature...of course, it was still pouring rain! I got my brisket through the stall but then the temp fell off...had to finish in the oven. My fire was never near as big as the firebox allows. Thinking this rain will not quit anytime soon so I'm working to build a fire pit on the ground where I can make mucho coals out of piles of oak wood.
      On a better day, the day I got it and cured it, with it fully vented and the distributor plates fully open, I monitored the temperatures with my Thermoworks Dot thermometers: with open flame and a pile of coals, the first box was reading 305, the second box reading 257 and the smoke box reading 180...at end of day, with just a pile of coals, the first box read 310, the second box read 240 and the smoke box read 162. Apparently, at the start, after firing for 45 minutes, the pit was still not fully heated. I also played with varying the vent openings and found it quite controllable. I did not have time to play with the distributor plate openings. Oh yeah, this baby is sweet! The first two boxes are actually lined near the bottom with a second layer of plate steel so as to make the smoke path straight through, from fire box to smoke box, with the way out being the distributor plate in the first two boxes and the smoke box. Their YouTube video does not show that extra liner. There is also a catchment built in, next to the fire, to be filled with water, beer, apple juice, whatever. This requires another accessory, a metal watering can with a long spout, to refill while the fire is going...burned the hair on my arm! What else can I say...it takes three men to get it onto and off my trailer, and you need 8 foot boards to make a gradual ramp.

ddmcwhirter Wow, that's awesome! post some pics when you put this baby in action..

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
      ddmcwhirter commented
      Editing a comment
      Trying to post new pictures...

Very nice pit ddmcwhirter

Comment

NICE!!!

Comment

that looks like one happy camper

Comment

Oh My! That's beautiful. Is that smoke in the 1st pic? or an angelic glow? Good Luck!

Comment

Comment

Looks great and I need that rifle! It has rained my last couple of cooks so smoking has been done in the only covered area I have which is right by the back door. I bet I killed 40 flies and there were at least that many left.

Comment

Comment

• BUG-A-SALT 2.0 will be shipped to John Steen by Amazon.com.
                    Guaranteed delivery: [COLOR=#008A00 !important]June 26, 2015
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
                    ddmcwhirter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ain't it great! I want the more powerful Garden Pest model. I tried to take out a big red wasp, surely I blinded the bugger, but he must have been able to smell me and he let me know that I'll have to do better than that!

I miss living somewhere that you can buy a $1,500 smoker at the local grocery store....

Comment

I mentioned that quarter inch steel plate above, that slides into the firebox. Well, almost three years later, I've discovered its real value! For Christmas 2017, Thermoworks.com exposed their test kitchen results for Prime Rib roasts. To get the perfect crust and have no gray line in the meat, they found the roast should be salted and peppered, refrigerated to near freezing, and then seared on a very hot surface with a little oil. It will look fully cooked on the outside. Then smear on garlic gook or whatever as desired and place in the smoke box.
                    We did not cut the bones nor cut out the core. The value of that plate? Sitting over open flame and two feet square, it was about 700F and large enough for this full seven bone roast! Smoking takes a long long time at 220 F because, well, the meat was nearly frozen (31F in the center). I hit 115 in the center after nearly ten hours...the ends were reading 125...so I pulled it. OMG! Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas 2017 Prime Rib.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	508705

Comment

It's great to be back on! For the last year, I've been putting in a pond stocked with bluegill, catfish and bass...it is doing very well. I guess I ought to look at smoking catfish steaks! This week we smoked dry cured pork belly (bacon with a capital B) and a cured brisket (passassastrami).

Comment

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those bluegill smoke up nice with salt pepper and a bit of dill! just squeeze a lemon overtop.

I noticed my "join date," November 2014. This was within a few weeks of nearly dying on Halloween, October 31. I started that day with a sore back (too much golf), got invited to play at a nice course, took two lower back pain aspirin (one gram total...my Mother swore by it), strained at the stool, did not eat, played golf while drinking lots of beer, cruised to my favorite bar with lots of buddies, still hadn't eaten anything, drank some more. Suddenly felt like I was gonna have the runs...that's odd. Men's room was busted. A friend kept the ladies back while I checked out their nice room. Lots and lots of blood exploded...what the hell...OMG! I spent about ten minutes cleaning up this ungodly mess, till it sparkled again. Stumbled out and took a seat and broke into a major sweat. Folks brought me an ice cold towel...oh thank you! Felt fine! Went back outside and took a seat. All okay! Then my buddies saw that my nice light colored golf slacks were turning dark...in fact, blood red. That's when I finally passed out. Ten arteries supplying the colon had to be plugged (micro stents) or cauterized. A nice nurse explained that the arteries were already growing new extensions, so no, I wasn't going to lose my colon. Praise the Lord!
                      Of course, the doctors said none of what I'd done would have caused such duress.
                      Oh, maybe that popcorn you'd eaten the night before...really?
                      So...you can abuse your body quite a lot but hopefully not succeed at killing yourself.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad you "beat the Reaper". Had a couple of episodes myself!

• Bogy
                        Bogy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad you are still with us. My 89 year old mother scared us last year when she passed a lot of blood (not as bad as you had), nursing home rushed her to the hospital by ambulance, wife and I rushed there, by the time she was cleaned out so they could look at the colon, they couldn't find anything. Lots of blood vessels there, they said whatever had bled had healed itself in the meantime.

• ddmcwhirter
                        ddmcwhirter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah...I got three colonoscopies in two days, not counting the surgery. In the follow up, this doc says they saw three small polyps. Need to come in and we'll cut those ( they couldn't while I'm still bleeding). Sorry, but I ran for the hills!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here