Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franklin Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franklin Smokers

Just got an e-mail saying they are now taking orders if you are interested... I think it has been about 5yrs since he announced he was going to start building them.

Backyard smoker designed by Aaron Franklin and made in the USA using All American Steel.

That would be a nice 4.5 hour drive.

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      It used to be for me as well, but the mountains were calling, so we left DFW for better climate... Now it would be a butt numbing 16hr drive..

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      tstalafuse There’s mountains within 16 hours of DFW? 🤣

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, it is only 12hrs from DFW to Colorado Springs (13hr if my wife is along for the ride) and another hour to climb the hill to the backside of Pikes Peak...

Am I missing something? I do not see any air flow control on the firebox or stack. Granted, "Engineered For maximum airflow and convection" but rather a one note smoker at a single elevation.

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Was going to say the same thing. Looks great in photos, but I sure hope that doesn’t make it to production.

Damm $3k for a pit even as nice as it is. I sell my home smokers (albeit 3/16" steel and 20" diameter) for $450 here in Argentina. Mine also has 2 racks for more capacity.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      How much to get them to the states?

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Working my way North slowly. Uphill battle for now.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Two racks always beats a single; I'm an definitely an Options kinda guy, I'd haveta reckon.
      LMK when ya git up Norteo, Amigo: we'll talk some turkey...$
      Thinkin on a 24"-30" x 60"-72", decidedly a Non-Issue fer yer Mad Skillz!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 11:09 AM.

I’ve got nothing but respect for the man and his craft, a living legend. That said, with the over crowded bbq cooker scene such that it is, I just see another smoker, not necessarily a magic bullet.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      He may have anticipated reading your mind. He's got that cya statement in there about "add your own craft"........……...which is legitimate advice for just about any circumstance in cooking.

Troutman is right Franklin is a legend
    I guess my question is other than his name what was his contribution
    if this is a name only smoker Ahumadora designs are better in the long run

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      For the price difference you could almost buy 6 of mine.

I think the price is just right for those who want to spend it. Meadow Creek smokers can drain your wallet quick too!

Comment

I like it. I like it a lot! I too am on the email list and I cringe every time I get one. Will this have to be the day that I have to have the "talk" with Moonbeam? And say look honey. I have bought something very huge. VERY HUGE!

On the whole Franklin Masterclass, he used his new offset. Actually he had three of these things running at one time on that series I think. The Prototype I think was sold. Pretty sure the prototype is the one in the pic.

It's a DANG nice cooker I think. Double insulated firebox, price wise is very comparable to your LSG's, Langs and others. So I see no issue.

Love the water pan shelf that is built in.

Franklin uses the door at times to regulate airflow, but that's how a lot of us do it too. I think the door vent on my ole Texas Original has been rusted shut for years. I just use the whole door. Like any offset, the smoke stack should be fully open at all times. The smoke stack cover is just there for storing in the rain.

Franklin always stresses "fire management", not "air flow management".
      Last edited by lonnie mac; May 31, 2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly right on the fire management vs air flow management.

What I always liked about his smokers was the air flow design. The flow from the fire box is at the same level as the exhaust port and the port extends across the surface of the grill grate....did I describe that right? On my offset, the flow from the fire box is above the grill grate and the exhaust port is narrower than the opening from the fire box. Still a great smoker, but I like Franklin's design better.

Comment

Why are people complaining about the price here but not when they talk Lang, LSG, etc? No one here is selling a $450 offset smoker of any quality and you're not making a good smoker in the US and selling it for that.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          perfect Craigar

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          And a 24x48 LSG is $2795. Yet we don't see people calling LSG out for price.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahumadora You're coming in @ $1.16/lbs., so please hurry up and get here already.

Way too rich for my blood. Unless the publisher's clearing house people or the lottery commission comes knocking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here