Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Plate for beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Plate for beans

Hi all! A while back I retro-fitted a hot plate on my offset smoker firebox. But I haven’t used it yet, so today I fired up my smoker to check temps. Basically I wanted to see how fast it got hot. That tells me how I can use it. I was hoping it wouldn’t get screaming hot, because then it wouldn’t be of much use. I placed a pan with 1 liter of water on it after getting the smoker up to temp, and clocked it. After 30 minutes the water was at 50 deg C (122 deg F), and climbing. That suits me fine, as it means I can have a pot of Bourbon beans simmering while smoking meat in it.

Does any of you with offsets use your hot plate, and if so, is it reasonable in temp or does it get too hot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C5A53D2-6452-4AFB-8809-E8C3562A22C9.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	850906

Click image for larger version

Name:	1B7CC18C-E12B-4510-9214-A4BC8126D7E0.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	850907

My offset had an L shaped "shelf" on top of the round lid of the firebox. I used it to keep sauces and mops warm but I don't ever remember it getting hot enough to simmer a little Lodge saucepan. Which I guess is what it was designed for. I didn't have an infrared thermometer back then so I can't say what the temp would get to.
    Last edited by N227GB; May 24, 2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here