Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New stick burner, brisket and wood questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New stick burner, brisket and wood questions...

So, had a great weekend. Did a couple of briskets. An 8# and a 16#. Very juicy, great bark. Did them Franklin style, no injection, salt and pepper and a little garlic powder only.

It was the first time to use my new stick burner, so i have some questions. I wrapped the briskets after about 12 hours, since i was concerned about the smoke. I used a maverick thermometer and, due to some issues with the temp dropping overnight, i ended up with the briskets in my electric smoker for the last hour or so, to get them to 203*.

So, my issues are:
    1) Wood. The only hardwood of quantity up here is Birch. That's what i used. Smoke is strong (i removed the bark from the split wood, but was still strong).
    2) As we rolled into hours 12 and on, I couldn't get the temp in the cook box up over 200. The night before, i got it up to 280. ideas?
    3) I did such a good job, my kids want me to do a graduation Q for them. We don't have final numbers yet, but it looks like about 150# of brisket. Hints?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1buba; May 19, 2015, 02:47 PM.

You need to make sure the firebox is turned towards the wind to get ample oxygen. It gives off more heat than briquettes, therefore needs more oxygen.

I have cooked 12 briskets to be served for 11 a.m. Saturday. I started cooking on Wednesday late afternoon. Those briskets were taken to 203 internal then cooled off at room temperature until they were not very hot anymore and then put in a freezer until cool to the touch and placed in the fridge.

To reheat they were taken out the fridge for 1 hour then placed in a 250 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours until they are about 165 internal. If you get too close to 200 on the reheat the point will get mushy.

Comment

• 1buba
      1buba commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod...
      Wind.... makes perfect sense. We normally have little to no wind, but friday/sat we had 8-10mph, and it was from in front of the smoker. With my firebox on the back of the smoker, it was blowing the heat away, and probably actually drawing it out of the box. Thanks!

Good info on the reheat!

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      If you can burn a small really hot fire, you shouldn't have any smoke problems.

• 1buba
      1buba commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again Jerod. I'm sure you're right about the small hot fire. I'm guessing that once the wind kicked up, i just kept adding wood until i got to the point that it just couldn't burn quick enough to get "hot". Lots of ash left, so i'm 99% sure you are dead on. Just one more reason i love this site. :-)

Jerod,
    did as you directed on the re-heat of the brisket. Was wonderful. It WAS a little overdone, but i attribut that to pulling it at 203*, then letting it sit in the faux cambro - i should have just let it rest on the counter and then gone into the fridge. It really was delicious though, and proved that a reheat can be done without loosing anything!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Coolness, and yeah, on the post-cook, I go to the counter on racks so it can cool off all around for an hour or two, then I'll place the racks in the freezer, then once cool to the touch, the fridge without any racks.

Glad it worked out. It has saved me tons of sleep.

You guys are a freak in amazing resource!!!
    Wish I could get one of you to swing by and teach me better core control on the stick burner!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      With enough practice and good record keeping with respect to weather conditions and what not, you'll get it.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      #Practice

That's a lotta brisket man.

Comment

1buba when I have a question about briskets the go to person is Jerod Broussard (the Brisket King). 😊

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Wannabe King, get it right.

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        #WeFollowInJerodsFootsteps #LargeBeefyFootsteps

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here