Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used offset - What to look for/check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used offset - What to look for/check?

Well...the title says it all. I'm off to check out an offset listed for $700 😱 but I have ZERO experience with offsets. Please help me!

It's a custom built 100 gallon reverse flow. CL link below. Please don't buy it from under me if it's a good deal 😂

Hard to tell a lot from the pics. Ask for more better pics before driving out there. You want to see that the doors shut welll with no air gaps. Ask what guage steel it is made from.

Comment

Checking the firebox throughly for burn through and gaps comes to mind.

Comment

Make sure all welds are solid.

Comment

Looks ok to me. Check for burn throughs, and make sure it seals up (the food chamber door). Except for that, if it looks good, buy it. If the steel gauge is 5/32" or thicker you're good.

You can tweak it later if you feel like it (and have a welder or knows someone who does).

Comment

Thank you all for the info!

One other thing I was thinking about, should there be some way to clean the cooking chamber (ie ball valve), or is that not necessary?

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, that's important. You would think that would be in the photo, but it could just be a drain hole in the bottom.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Should be. A drain hole is enough, does not need to be a ball valve. But if there isn’t one I wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker.

if you don't buy it, I'm heading to Portland!

Comment

Well it's legit!

The welds are solid, there is a bit of rust on the top of the fire box from expansion/contraction but it's fairly superficial - nothing a bit of brushing and a bit of hi temp paint couldn't fix.

The tank itself is probably a 100 gallon propane tank. It's around a quarter inch thick too, and the fire box is 1/4 inch plate.

It has a fixed plate in the middle of the tank, and a drain at the bottom near the fore box. Grates are stainless steel. The door is pretty tight and has a replaceable gasket too.

Now I just have to convince my wife (shouldn't be hard). And get a truck and trailer since my Tacoma is a bit too lifted to haul a trailer 🤦

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Coooool 🔥

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                We have a 4Runner TRD .... what a great platform ... but not made for hauling big loads

• Loren
                Loren commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine is a 4 banger too...great for around town and Forest Service roads, but hauling and/or road trips is torture!

Sounds good - pics of your first cook are mandatory.

Comment

I have its little baby - maybe there's some upgrade ideas here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CSB 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	832560

LoL - have a great time with that 'new to you' Smoker!

Comment

I don’t know anything about offsets. But that looks pretty good.

and yes. Pictures of first cook!!!

Comment

Glad to know it looks solid - I had spotted the drain as a pipe nipple hanging down near the firebox in one of the photos on Craigslist. Good luck getting the Mrs. convinced, and getting it home!

Comment

• Loren
                      Loren commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I got her convinced (luckily I just got a bonus!).

Now to wrangle a trailer at the Home Despots 😏

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here