Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by TripleB View Post
    Those are all beautiful beasts... I own a backyard Jambo. Dimensions and capacity a bit smaller than the J3, but the construction is the same. I'm a KCBS judge and at comps I always go around and talk to the Jambo owners (they're all J3 owners) to pick up tips. However, I never stick around for the awards, so I have no idea if they won or not. But overall, the Jambo pit masters love their J3's and are extremely confident on using them. I have never heard one owner complain abouth their pits. Nothing but praise. The main questions I ask are how they start their fires and how they maintain their fires. Everybody differs a bit on start up, but they are all consistent on maintaining their temps. The Jambo J3 (and my backyard for that matter) purrs at around 275d. That's it sweet spot. Every 30 minutes to 45 minutes just throw on another piece of wood. The trick is keeping a good bed of coals.

The one competition tip I got was that they all replaced the original racks with stainless steel racks. The reason is that the Jambo racks catch and tear the aluminum foil when they wrap. The custom made racks are smooth (and look much nicer).

I've competeted a couple times, but never with my Jambo (JT). Don't have a trailer to move that hunk of steel.
    Great insight! Thanks for this response.

Leave a comment:

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Donw View Post
    John russell has a cooker built by Meadow Creek. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in. Since they are made in PA you might save some on shipping.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    Those are all beautiful beasts... I own a backyard Jambo. Dimensions and capacity a bit smaller than the J3, but the construction is the same. I'm a KCBS judge and at comps I always go around and talk to the Jambo owners (they're all J3 owners) to pick up tips. However, I never stick around for the awards, so I have no idea if they won or not. But overall, the Jambo pit masters love their J3's and are extremely confident on using them. I have never heard one owner complain abouth their pits. Nothing but praise. The main questions I ask are how they start their fires and how they maintain their fires. Everybody differs a bit on start up, but they are all consistent on maintaining their temps. The Jambo J3 (and my backyard for that matter) purrs at around 275d. That's it sweet spot. Every 30 minutes to 45 minutes just throw on another piece of wood. The trick is keeping a good bed of coals.

The one competition tip I got was that they all replaced the original racks with stainless steel racks. The reason is that the Jambo racks catch and tear the aluminum foil when they wrap. The custom made racks are smooth (and look much nicer).

I've competeted a couple times, but never with my Jambo (JT). Don't have a trailer to move that hunk of steel.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    He already took Lang out of consideration, as they do not have the insulated firebox he is looking for.

• dsevvy
    replied
    Have you looked at Lang? They make some very nice trailer smokers with lots of custom options. I don't own one but have first hand experience cooking on my son in law's. One of the better reverse flow options IMHO and experience.

Leave a comment:

• kenrobin
    commented on 's reply
    My sentiments exactly!

• Donw
    replied
    John russell has a cooker built by Meadow Creek. I tagged him so maybe he will chime in. Since they are made in PA you might save some on shipping.

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    Great new photo, Huskee!

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    That was going to be my question - when do you need it? I have read from a number of members that the wait is very long for Shirley smokers.

• Ground Chuck
    commented on 's reply
    of guys will ship through uShip, but there is also a gentleman who does a lot of shipping for us but tends to stay within a 600 or so mile radius. Let me know if there is anything that you have any questions about.

Thanks,

Tyler Shirley

Shirley Fabrication, LLC

4510 Virginia Drive

Tuscaloosa, AL 35404

205-799-0251

"SORRY THIS PASTED SO POORLY!"

• Ground Chuck
    commented on 's reply
    lengthy backlog of 33 months or so. I hate the wait is so long, but we build each cooker one at a time specific to each customer’s build specs. our 24”x42” cabinet patio model will hold 8-10 butts, a 50” model will holder 12-16. I think either of those 2 sizes would be more than enough. You could also add a 3 grate warmer which has 20”x20” grates and would increase capacity. As far as shipping goes, we generally let the customer arrange shipping. A lot
    Last edited by Ground Chuck; April 10, 2020, 08:57 AM.

• Ground Chuck
    commented on 's reply
    Let me know, I'd be interested to see what he says! I went through old e-mails, and I accidentally lied to you. He told me this in January 2019, so I wasn't very accurate when I said 6 months... Here is what he told me, hope it helps:

Chris,
    I appreciate you taking the time to give us a look. I have attached the base model pricing list that includes the pricing for a list of popular optional upgrades. This should help you with pricing and ideas. In case you didn’t know, we have a pretty
    Last edited by Ground Chuck; April 10, 2020, 08:57 AM.

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Henrik View Post
    What Huskee said. In my opinion reverse flow is good for smaller smokers, where they can even out temps a bit. But both RF and normal are uneven in temps, especially when you load them up with meat. My custom built smoker is very even in temps when empty, but when I fill it with briskets I always have to shift them around during a 9 hour cook.
    Great insight. I'll ask each manufacturer a question surrounding this as I am curious to their response.

Leave a comment:

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ground Chuck View Post
    I reached out to Tyler Shirley maybe 6 months ago and the wait was over 3 years. Not sure if is still that long or not. That was the deal-breaker for me.

The charcoal-first style at Peoria was also a deal-breaker for me, even though they look well-built and are affordable. Just my preference, but I wanted to cook with wood.

My vote is for Jambo, but I have no experience on any of them, just the two or so years of research that I did. Based on my research, I ended up deciding to go with a regular flow instead of reverse.

Happy Hunting! Can't wait to see what you choose .
    Three years? WOW. I'm going to reach out to them and confirm this.

Leave a comment:

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
    I have ZERO experience here. I would say however, that Jambo is what Malcolm Reed uses....
    I love Malcolm Reed!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here