Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Pit-masters,

The last couple months I have done extensive research on stick burners. Specifically, trailer cookers. I have narrowed down my search to four models... But first, I have three goals for the cooker:
    1) catering (fund-raising)
    2) competition (all categories)
    3) parties (I'm hoping I can cook smaller quantities as well and not use a crazy amount of fuel)

The smokers are, in no specific order:

1) Meat Monster (http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-...nster-mof.html )
    - this cooker seems to be the most versatile in terms of managing temperature and cooking space
    - offers a convection fan, which I THINK makes the entire cooking chamber one consistent temp and removes hot spots... this is the only trailer cooker I am aware of that does this.
    - this is a charcoal-first smoker with wood chunks. Does this make a difference in taste?
    - not reverse flow

2) Jambo J3 (https://thecloak9.wixsite.com/jambopits/j3-specs )
    - you know the name. highly regarded in competition circles
    - not reverse flow

3) Meadow Creek TS250 (https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catal...moker-trailer/ )
    - I really like the cold smoking/warming box
    - local to me
    - their chicken cooker extension is legit. I've heard good things about it
    - reverse flow

4) Shirley Fabrications custom cooker. Likely a cabinet model (https://www.shirleyfabrication.com/smokers-cookers )
    - I have heard nothing but good things about Shirley. Sounds like the most cost effective as well.
    - usually reverse flow

I am open to other suggestions. One requirement I have is an insulated firebox (so Lang is out). Also, I am not in a hurry to get the cooker. I will wait up to two years for it if I have to.

I am also torn between reverse flow and non-reverse flow. I hear good things about both. It seems for catering you want reverse flow, but for competition you want various temps throughout the smoker? I would love to hear from people who have done both.

My number one objective is I want the best tasting food, with a strong wood flavor, and that I can cook in large quantities. The Meat Monster uses charcoal with wood chunks... is a pure stick burner a better flavor profile than charcoal with chunks?

If you have any experience with one or more of these cookers I would love to hear from you. I signed up for the pit-master sub just for this question, because I consider this the gold standard in BBQ forum discussions!

John

I have two trailer rigs, both custom made by www.pittmaker.com in Houston. Have you looked at them?

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
      I have two trailer rigs, both custom made by www.pittmaker.com in Houston. Have you looked at them?
      I have. I'm sure they make quality rigs. At this point I still stand by my top four. But thanks for mentioning them!

Comment

Lone Star Grillz does an insulated fire box on the offsets.

Comment

I have ZERO experience here. I would say however, that Jambo is what Malcolm Reed uses....

Comment

I reached out to Tyler Shirley maybe 6 months ago and the wait was over 3 years. Not sure if is still that long or not. That was the deal-breaker for me.

The charcoal-first style at Peoria was also a deal-breaker for me, even though they look well-built and are affordable. Just my preference, but I wanted to cook with wood.

My vote is for Jambo, but I have no experience on any of them, just the two or so years of research that I did. Based on my research, I ended up deciding to go with a regular flow instead of reverse.

Happy Hunting! Can't wait to see what you choose .
            Last edited by Ground Chuck; April 10, 2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              That was going to be my question - when do you need it? I have read from a number of members that the wait is very long for Shirley smokers.

If you haven’t checked out LoneStar Grillz you should. They make some amazing trailers and will customize to whatever your requirements are.https://lonestargrillz.com/
            Last edited by Steve B; April 10, 2020, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              You mocking me Mr. Bones 😂😂😂

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Wasn't, Previous; jus sayin 'Good Mornin' to ya, My Brother...

But NOW??? Since ya done stirred it all up???

Awww, Son ; It's ON Like Donkey Kong, Now!!!! LOL

Love ya Brother!

Be safe an well!!!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 10, 2020, 09:27 PM.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Just saw this Mr. Bones LMFAO. Luv ya too my friend.
              Stay safe as this world is about to turn upside down. 😬❤️

I wish I could help but I don't know any specifics on the ones you mention. I own a backyard Yoder and I love it. I knwo they too make nice larger trailer rigs. I do know though that reverse flow doesn't mean even temps, nor does standard flow mean uneven temps. You can certainly have either with either.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              Good advice from Huskee Don't get to set on RF pits. Let us know what you decide before pulling the trigger.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Great new photo, Huskee!

What Huskee said. In my opinion reverse flow is good for smaller smokers, where they can even out temps a bit. But both RF and normal are uneven in temps, especially when you load them up with meat. My custom built smoker is very even in temps when empty, but when I fill it with briskets I always have to shift them around during a 9 hour cook.

Comment

I am going to sit on the sideline and watch this debate! Fun topic!

Comment

• kenrobin
                kenrobin commented
                Editing a comment
                My sentiments exactly!

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                Fight! Fight! Fight! 😂

I’m here looking to learn. Love sitting in on purchasing decisions.

OK, I'll bite. No advice, but don't call me Shirley.
              Last edited by klflowers; April 10, 2020, 09:58 AM. Reason: bite instead of bit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B View Post
                If you haven’t checked out LoneStar Grillz you should. They make some amazing trailers and will customize to whatever your requirements are.https://lonestargrillz.com/
                I will take another look at Lone Star Grillz. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Any time my friend. If you have any questions about them please let me know. Or better yet. Call Chris directly. Their # is on the website I posted.

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
                I have ZERO experience here. I would say however, that Jambo is what Malcolm Reed uses....
                I love Malcolm Reed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Chuck View Post
                  I reached out to Tyler Shirley maybe 6 months ago and the wait was over 3 years. Not sure if is still that long or not. That was the deal-breaker for me.

The charcoal-first style at Peoria was also a deal-breaker for me, even though they look well-built and are affordable. Just my preference, but I wanted to cook with wood.

My vote is for Jambo, but I have no experience on any of them, just the two or so years of research that I did. Based on my research, I ended up deciding to go with a regular flow instead of reverse.

Happy Hunting! Can't wait to see what you choose .
                  Three years? WOW. I'm going to reach out to them and confirm this.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                    Ground Chuck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Let me know, I'd be interested to see what he says! I went through old e-mails, and I accidentally lied to you. He told me this in January 2019, so I wasn't very accurate when I said 6 months... Here is what he told me, hope it helps:

Chris,
                    I appreciate you taking the time to give us a look. I have attached the base model pricing list that includes the pricing for a list of popular optional upgrades. This should help you with pricing and ideas. In case you didn’t know, we have a pretty
                    Last edited by Ground Chuck; April 10, 2020, 08:57 AM.

• Ground Chuck
                    Ground Chuck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lengthy backlog of 33 months or so. I hate the wait is so long, but we build each cooker one at a time specific to each customer’s build specs. our 24”x42” cabinet patio model will hold 8-10 butts, a 50” model will holder 12-16. I think either of those 2 sizes would be more than enough. You could also add a 3 grate warmer which has 20”x20” grates and would increase capacity. As far as shipping goes, we generally let the customer arrange shipping. A lot
                    Last edited by Ground Chuck; April 10, 2020, 08:57 AM.

• Ground Chuck
                    Ground Chuck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    of guys will ship through uShip, but there is also a gentleman who does a lot of shipping for us but tends to stay within a 600 or so mile radius. Let me know if there is anything that you have any questions about.

Thanks,

Tyler Shirley

Shirley Fabrication, LLC

4510 Virginia Drive

Tuscaloosa, AL 35404

205-799-0251

"SORRY THIS PASTED SO POORLY!"

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                  What Huskee said. In my opinion reverse flow is good for smaller smokers, where they can even out temps a bit. But both RF and normal are uneven in temps, especially when you load them up with meat. My custom built smoker is very even in temps when empty, but when I fill it with briskets I always have to shift them around during a 9 hour cook.
                  Great insight. I'll ask each manufacturer a question surrounding this as I am curious to their response.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here