Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve B View Post
    If you haven’t checked out LoneStar Grillz you should. They make some amazing trailers and will customize to whatever your requirements are.https://lonestargrillz.com/
    I will take another look at Lone Star Grillz. Thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    OK, I'll bite. No advice, but don't call me Shirley.
    Last edited by klflowers; April 10, 2020, 09:58 AM. Reason: bite instead of bit

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I am going to sit on the sideline and watch this debate! Fun topic!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    What Huskee said. In my opinion reverse flow is good for smaller smokers, where they can even out temps a bit. But both RF and normal are uneven in temps, especially when you load them up with meat. My custom built smoker is very even in temps when empty, but when I fill it with briskets I always have to shift them around during a 9 hour cook.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    Good advice from Huskee Don't get to set on RF pits. Let us know what you decide before pulling the trigger.

• Huskee
    replied
    I wish I could help but I don't know any specifics on the ones you mention. I own a backyard Yoder and I love it. I knwo they too make nice larger trailer rigs. I do know though that reverse flow doesn't mean even temps, nor does standard flow mean uneven temps. You can certainly have either with either.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Mornin, Sunshine

• Steve B
    replied
    If you haven’t checked out LoneStar Grillz you should. They make some amazing trailers and will customize to whatever your requirements are.https://lonestargrillz.com/
    Last edited by Steve B; April 10, 2020, 07:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ground Chuck
    replied
    I reached out to Tyler Shirley maybe 6 months ago and the wait was over 3 years. Not sure if is still that long or not. That was the deal-breaker for me.

The charcoal-first style at Peoria was also a deal-breaker for me, even though they look well-built and are affordable. Just my preference, but I wanted to cook with wood.

My vote is for Jambo, but I have no experience on any of them, just the two or so years of research that I did. Based on my research, I ended up deciding to go with a regular flow instead of reverse.

Happy Hunting! Can't wait to see what you choose .
    Last edited by Ground Chuck; April 10, 2020, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I have ZERO experience here. I would say however, that Jambo is what Malcolm Reed uses....

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    Lone Star Grillz does an insulated fire box on the offsets.

Leave a comment:

• Coconut Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
    I have two trailer rigs, both custom made by www.pittmaker.com in Houston. Have you looked at them?
    I have. I'm sure they make quality rigs. At this point I still stand by my top four. But thanks for mentioning them!

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    I have two trailer rigs, both custom made by www.pittmaker.com in Houston. Have you looked at them?

Leave a comment:

• Coconut Monkey
    started a topic Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Four stick burners enter. One leaves.

Pit-masters,

The last couple months I have done extensive research on stick burners. Specifically, trailer cookers. I have narrowed down my search to four models... But first, I have three goals for the cooker:
    1) catering (fund-raising)
    2) competition (all categories)
    3) parties (I'm hoping I can cook smaller quantities as well and not use a crazy amount of fuel)

The smokers are, in no specific order:

1) Meat Monster (http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-...nster-mof.html )
    - this cooker seems to be the most versatile in terms of managing temperature and cooking space
    - offers a convection fan, which I THINK makes the entire cooking chamber one consistent temp and removes hot spots... this is the only trailer cooker I am aware of that does this.
    - this is a charcoal-first smoker with wood chunks. Does this make a difference in taste?
    - not reverse flow

2) Jambo J3 (https://thecloak9.wixsite.com/jambopits/j3-specs )
    - you know the name. highly regarded in competition circles
    - not reverse flow

3) Meadow Creek TS250 (https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/catal...moker-trailer/ )
    - I really like the cold smoking/warming box
    - local to me
    - their chicken cooker extension is legit. I've heard good things about it
    - reverse flow

4) Shirley Fabrications custom cooker. Likely a cabinet model (https://www.shirleyfabrication.com/smokers-cookers )
    - I have heard nothing but good things about Shirley. Sounds like the most cost effective as well.
    - usually reverse flow

I am open to other suggestions. One requirement I have is an insulated firebox (so Lang is out). Also, I am not in a hurry to get the cooker. I will wait up to two years for it if I have to.

I am also torn between reverse flow and non-reverse flow. I hear good things about both. It seems for catering you want reverse flow, but for competition you want various temps throughout the smoker? I would love to hear from people who have done both.

My number one objective is I want the best tasting food, with a strong wood flavor, and that I can cook in large quantities. The Meat Monster uses charcoal with wood chunks... is a pure stick burner a better flavor profile than charcoal with chunks?

If you have any experience with one or more of these cookers I would love to hear from you. I signed up for the pit-master sub just for this question, because I consider this the gold standard in BBQ forum discussions!

John

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here